PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch Nice upgrade

fuzzy
06-02-2013, 03:11 PM
First off I make no claims at being any sort of super hunter, bush/outdoorsman or even a good one at that. I like many others have a budget and therefore research for hours on end about what gear to buy. Two years ago I bought what I assumed was going to be the end all be all for back packs a Mystery Ranch Nice frame with the Crew Cab bag as well as a load sling.

I was excited the crew cab with the daypack lid would do from simple overnight hike with my wife in the summer and be great for extended trips and hauling out game in the fall.The daypack lid strapped to the Nice frame would be great for day hunts and I would be able pack meat back to the truck no problem.

I ran into a problem once I got above 50 lbs the pack was really uncomfortable. I did a little more reading. I then swallowed my pride about having spent so much of my hard earned money on something that wasn't really functioning properly for me. I resigned myself to make it work for now and if and when finances allowed I would sell my stuff at a loss and try another product.

During this time I stumbled across oneirosvalley.com.I placed a pre-order and they shipped me a pre production unit of there Load Lifter Panel. I just got it yesterday as I couldn't get to my us mailing address for a few weeks. I have since installed it on my pack and have noticed a huge difference over the stock configuration just in walking around the house with 60lbs. Seeing though that I'm sick and swamped at work I not going to be able to put this product through its paces for a couple months but I wanted to share my limited findings and experience so far.

fuzzy

06-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I think I have the same issue. I carry way too much weight on my shoulders and very little on the hips. As pack weight goes over 50lbs the pack seems to slide off my hips. Let us know how this product works for you in the field.

Gateholio
06-02-2013, 04:31 PM
For the NICE frame you can attach a load hauler, or if you want a bigger bag, a 6500 or 7500 bag. I don't find it uncomfortable at all, but that product looks interesting if nothing else.

06-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Gatehouse-the issue is not the bag size but that the frame is too short.

Rackmastr
06-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Gatehouse-the issue is not the bag size but that the frame is too short.

Bag size does have some correlation to the topic of load lifters. The 6500 and 7500 have a 'frame sheet' built into them that extends the height of the NICE frame slightly. Since the Crew-Cab, Longbow, etc do not have an extended frame sheet built in to them, you are restricted to the size of the frame and then cannot get the load lift.

So, the 6500/7500 users dont experience the same issues. All comes down to frame size in the end, but thats the reasoning why certain bags on the NICE frame dont notice the difference in load-lifting capabilities.

fuzzy
06-02-2013, 05:15 PM
.270 that is exactly what my issue is/hopefully was. From comments I've read from various people online it seems that guys that are a little "thicker" seem to be able to deal with the lack of load lifter angle better than the skinny guys. Also as far as the 6500,7500 and a couple of other packs they have a built in frame extension that makes it a non issue with these bags.What these guys have done is taken the initiative to deal with an issue that Mystery Ranch has refused to address. A 20" pack frame is just to short for many of us and makes bags like the crew cab and load sling uncomfortable with any significant weight.

Rackmastr beat me to it.
fuzzy

spear
06-02-2013, 11:45 PM
The metcalf has a built in load lifter extension

Pre '64
06-03-2013, 05:37 AM
For the NICE frame you can attach a load hauler, or if you want a bigger bag, a 6500 or 7500 bag. I don't find it uncomfortable at all, but that product looks interesting if nothing else.

I agree, I have a 6500 and I find most of the weight is taken by my midsection with very little on shoulders. I've packed some heavy meat loads and no one spot on my body was carrying too much weight.

troutseeker
06-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Seems like a good option for Crewcab users fer sure. I had a crewcab and did notice that issue, althoug it was still quite useable. The 7500 does not have that issue for me.