PDA

View Full Version : LEH Bison

05-31-2013, 10:29 AM
I am going to start putting in for LEH bison. What would be the best time to go for consistant success?....also, which is more productive, zone A or B? I know this information might be highly classified, but I would appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks!

tuchodi
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Your success will be only how lucky you are at getting drawn. I have been putting in since it started and have never had a draw, that goes for 4 of my hunting partners also. Early draws they will be high and later draws they will be low but much colder weather like -40.

05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Your success will be only how lucky you are at getting drawn. I have been putting in since it started and have never had a draw, that goes for 4 of my hunting partners also. Early draws they will be high and later draws they will be low but much colder weather like -40.

Yeah, I'm sure I will never get drawn...but the absense of hope is despair, and I wouldn't want that!:)

srupp
05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
hmmm only draw Ive never got either....maybe this year??

j270wsm
05-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Last year I was drawn for 7-57b, October 16-31. We went on October 13th found our camping spot with the help of another hbc member( thanks jack ). We had rain, snow, sleet, high winds at night, -4 to +8 temperatures. The ground was very soft and we had an extremely hard time getting anywhere off the main roads( cut lines, surveyor lines, etc ) Spent lots of money getting stuff needed for the hunt, spent more to fix all the stuff that broke. Then got a ridiculous amount of snow. We ended up coming home early, never even seen a buffalo. When I start applying again, I'll make sure to apply for a later draw

05-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Last year I was drawn for 7-57b, October 16-31. We went on October 13th found our camping spot with the help of another hbc member( thanks jack ). We had rain, snow, sleet, high winds at night, -4 to +8 temperatures. The ground was very soft and we had an extremely hard time getting anywhere off the main roads( cut lines, surveyor lines, etc ) Spent lots of money getting stuff needed for the hunt, spent more to fix all the stuff that broke. Then got a ridiculous amount of snow. We ended up coming home early, never even seen a buffalo. When I start applying again, I'll make sure to apply for a later draw

Thanks, this is the kind of info that's useful.

tomahawk
05-31-2013, 03:41 PM
You guys didnt get any draws cause we got em all, been in on 5 draws in 15 yrs of trying. Not putting in anymore so here's the scoop on Bison hunting.

First draw of the year or a later draw is all i would put in for. Oct 1 when the bison are not pressured that year yet or late Nov onward. I personally dont go early but know many others who have and they have been happy. As for area, it used to be that B was the go to place 15 yrs ago, however with all the hunting pressure the herds have changed and A is the ticket now. (check the openings and # of draws, A is where its at). Being well prepared with gear and quads/snowmoblies is key to success. Being prepared to climb a mountain or walk a few kms off the machine (cause quads have restricted access) is key to success. They aint super smart but they know when all the hunters converge to try to knock em down they need to head for the hills (literally). They are darn good eating, 5 bulls and all were good to excellent eaters, but the 3 - 4 yr olds give you the best value for tenderness and quantity of meat. Just my thoughts.

srupp
05-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks Tomahawk..appreciate the advice....

I did apply for the late hunt this year don't mind the cold..

cheers
Steven

Fred1
05-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Got as late in the year, or i guess as early as possible like mid January - separates the men from the lower mainland ah hmm fellas... LMAO! I ve done it the hard way for so long I guess im geting used to it!!

whitlers
06-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Did early October this past year zone B. Saw tons of bison the second and third day in. Took home a nice one. Weather was a mix. Sunny some days then heavy rain and tons of snow another. I would do zone B early October again in a heartbeat. Great hunt, tons of fun!!

Fraink
06-01-2013, 11:39 PM
I agree with tomahawk, I was in Zone B in 96 and Zone A in 2009, both were ok but going later to be sure there is snow. Just be sure you can handle -40. The difference between -20 and -40 is something you can only figure out through experience.

toad
06-02-2013, 08:38 PM
the difference between -20 and -40 when your walking or hiking is nothing, the difference between -20 and -40 when riding on a sled.... is painfull

Darksith
06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
If you don't have the toys or the means to get the toys you need to hunt in the snow, don't go for a later hunt. If all you wanna do is hunt off a quad, don't go on an early hunt, if your not familiar with extreme cold don't go for a later hunt...if your from the LML don't even bother with something past november (j/k) :) Its a different world up north, with the skeg, the cold, the snow...I wonder how many people a year get drawn and end up packing it in because of the weather conditions. That would be an interesting statistic.

s0ylentgreen
06-03-2013, 08:20 PM
hi darksith
may i ask why you said "you wanna do is hunt off a quad, don't go on an early hunt,"
?

Darksith
06-03-2013, 11:09 PM
hi darksith
may i ask why you said "you wanna do is hunt off a quad, don't go on an early hunt,"
?

that really made no sense, I was just messing around...you can't leave the trails when on a quad in there so it really doesn't matter that way. But if there wasn't a restriction on quads leaving the trails, or you attempt too, you will find up there that although the seismic lines look good on google earth, a lot of them are pretty unpassable via a quad, the skeg is deep, you will be winching all day long and it will be hard on your equipment. U will want tracks, and even then you will be breaking out the winch.

CaribooBC
06-03-2013, 11:24 PM
If you can take a bit of cold weather, go later in the year. I was a helper (thanks Toad!) on a hunt (zone A) in the first week of Dec. It was cold (-30s) but there was enough snow so you could go through the meadows on your sleds without much worry of getting stuck. Made it easy to haul our critter out. Also the cold temps seemed to bring the animals down to the valley bottom. Oh BTW: They are very tasty!

Fraink
06-16-2013, 09:28 AM
"Its a different world up north, with the skeg, the cold, the snow...I wonder how many people a year get drawn and end up packing it in because of the weather conditions."

I went with a buddy in 96, we run into a guy on the morning of the first day of the draw (nov 20 I think) who was pissed and going home. "what a gong show, there are guys here with sleds, we scoped out the area yesterday and couldn't find any Bison" I asked him"you didn't bring a sled?" "hell no!! we have a 4x4 and 100m of rope". They went to the gate where PU's could go, went for a walk and expected to find Bison right there, obviously didn't read the literature or do any kind of research. It was -30, they came all the way from Vancouver Island, took time off for the trip and were heading home because they we not prepared at all. Yes many wasted tags because of not being prepared.

cameron0518
06-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Late draw when ground is frozen. Cold is cold no matter which way you look at it. Snow mobile suits are the answer.

brutus
06-22-2013, 04:03 PM
early draws-quads are ok lots of work winching,bring lots of good rope and be prepared to work for your meat,never got the draw but spend a lot of time in there on a quad lots of fun if you like being stuck in the mud:mrgreen:lots of critters in there not just bison

brutus
06-22-2013, 04:06 PM
early draws-quads are ok lots of work winching,bring lots of good rope and be prepared to work for your meat,never got the draw but spend a lot of time in there on a quad lots of fun if you like being stuck in the mud:mrgreen:lots of critters in there not just bison.btw you have to stay on the trail with quads,lots of work if you no what i mean