PDA

View Full Version : Getting an edge!!

Sofa King
05-31-2013, 08:59 AM
so, i'm sitting down to start sharpening my knives up so they are ready for this season. it got me wondering about everyone's techniques, as it can be an art-form in itself.

what is your method of getting a nice edge back on your favourite knives?
and, what are your favourite knives?

i'll have to take some pics of mine to post.

i have many favs, but my go-to knife when the deer is down is the outdoor edge whitetail skinner. this thing just fits the hand so comfortably and it holds it's edge really well i find.
and i'm using the lansky system for my sharpening.

moosinaround
05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
I used a fine stone, and ceramic sticks. In the field I used a diamond steel to dress the edge. I usually always keep my knives sharp year round. Moosin

G.A.
05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
just picked up a cheepo small sharpener, smiths brand..just small pocket style. has cermaic, carbide and a pick for the serations at base of blade. my knives are also new so not sure if it did anything to be honest. i felt my knives should be sharper but after trying to they still feel about the same..maybe thy are fine as still new, hopefull im using them tomorrow on my bear...lol
knives are a 2 knife set from buck kinives, says same steel as usa made but are made in china an assembled in usa..same lifetime warrantee so thought id try em out..40 buck for a pair. sharpener i think was about 13 buck

Mr. Dean
05-31-2013, 09:09 AM
If they're BAD I use the lansky system.

Drillbit
05-31-2013, 09:10 AM
I run a Havalon and Cutco Double-D's for game processing so I don't have to sharpen anything and everything is always sharp.

Swap blades on the Havalon and send the Cutco's in once a year for a free sharpenning.

Sometimes on greasy bears I just use a boxcutter and throw it away at the end.

Steeleco
05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
I to have a Lansky, the 5 stone set. Use that and a home made strop to finish the job.

Sofa King
05-31-2013, 09:27 AM
I to have a Lansky, the 5 stone set. Use that and a home made strop to finish the job.

mine's missing one stone. which is it?
i have the red, course stone.
the green, medium stone.
the blue, fine stone.
the orange, medium diamond.
what's missing?

Steeleco
05-31-2013, 09:31 AM
mine's missing one stone. which is it?
i have the red, course stone.
the green, medium stone.
the blue, fine stone.
the orange, medium diamond.
what's missing?

The black one is "extra course" I've never used that one, you knife would have to be some messed up to use it? Maybe for reshaping a broken blade?

CR CRUISER
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
I have tried all the different ceramic rod types and stone systems. The one that I have had the best sucess with, believe it or not, is the fine diamond file on my Leatherman.

adriaticum
05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Work sharp

http://www.worksharptools.com/wskts/work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener/flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl.html

I've never used it, but it's on my list.

Philcott
05-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Lansky here too. Been using the same buck knife for 25 years. I test it's sharpness by shaving off a bit of forearm hair. I bring a small ceramic sharpener with me in the bush for a quick touch up when needed.

What is the procedure for using the leather strop??

wrenchhead
05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
Yellow lansky is the extra fine diamond that I use to finish them.

Sofa King
05-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Yellow lansky is the extra fine diamond that I use to finish them.

that's the one i'll get to fill the empty slot in the box.
right now i'm using the fine stone and it's good, but i'm guessing the fine diamond would be better.

Steeleco
05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
I have a piece of leather attached to a piece of wood, I use it sometimes to just give the edge that final polish. I wish I was good enough to use one like a barber, those things are sharp!!

Sofa King
05-31-2013, 01:42 PM
and some knives clearly obtain and hold an edge much better than others.
my dad's knife was just some old, old piece of shite to look at, but that damn thing was always razor sharp and worked like a damn in his hands.

elksmasher
06-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Lansky,Gatco,with diamond stones,fool proof.

boxhitch
06-13-2013, 05:44 AM
The extra coarse is good to get the initial angle change needed on many knives , especially some hollow grinds.
The extra fine will take off that fine feather edge that some blades get.
The leather strop also works good to retune a scalpel blade

BernDawg
06-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Good Arkansas stone with appropriate honing oil always did the trick for me. There was a set of water stones in a shop I worked in a few years ago and they were sweet once you figured them out.

Bisonfirst
06-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Sandpaper over leather or foam followed by stropping for my convex grinds. Lansky for my flat grinds. ( Kitchen stuff)

itsy bitsy xj
06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
I have tried all the different ceramic rod types and stone systems. The one that I have had the best sucess with, believe it or not, is the fine diamond file on my Leatherman.

Thats what I started using and it works great

guywitha270
06-13-2013, 02:07 PM
I really like the Spyderco system.