PDA

View Full Version : LEH second choices

Wagonmaster
05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I am curious to know if anyone has ever been successful getting a moose tag in the second choice category. Occasionally, people have indicated that they applied for one area as a first choice, say 5-13B, and then filled in 5-13C as their second choice (in a previous thread, someone indicated they did this). The way I see it, the odds would have to be 1:1 or less to have any hope of getting drawn. Even if the odds are fairly good, say 3:1 where there are 10 authorizations available, that would mean that 30 hunters are going to apply for the 10 tags. If that many normally apply for that hunt, all the available tags are going to go to first choice applications. No tags will be available for second choices. ie. it makes no sense to fill in the second choice box in almost all moose hunts. There are very few with odds at 1:1 or less. Applying for 5-13C as a second choice is a waste of time. I would be interested to know if someone has been successful in such a case, as that would indicate to me that there was a screw-up with the draw.

tinhorse
05-30-2013, 09:44 PM
It only takes an extra 2 seconds to write the 4 digits, and who knows lightning could strike! But yes, it is really a waste unless you are putting in for low odds areas for the second choice. I did do this for my goat draw one year and got it. Odds for my second pick were 0.7:1, after I got it I found out why.....no access and brutal country. I didn't get a goat.

r106
05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Your right in the fact that you should put in for the hard to get hunt in the first pick and better odds in the second pick. But as far as getting your second choice like you described, it's just dumb luck.

Just because Kamloops sheep is 999.9-1 odds doesn't mean the first 10 or even the first 100 people drawn have picked it