PDA

View Full Version : Bear Chaser Junior scores

Bear Chaser
05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
May long weekend my son and I decided to camp with a few of the guys I work with and do a little bear hunting during the morning and evening. Since my son had just turned 16 the week previous he had more important things to do than go camping right away. Seems a barn dance for teens on Friday night and a sleepover with his friends Saturday was more important than heading out bear hunting so we didn’t leave town until after lunch on Sunday.
We pulled into our camp spot about two o’clock and got the trailer parked. After we got settled we had a short visit with the guys. We planned to go out and do a little target shooting followed by a drive around looking for Mr. Bear and then idle back to camp for a supper that somebody else had cooked an hour or so before dark. The following day we would take a serious drive into some country I hadn’t seen for over twenty years where I hoped we would be able to do some glassing and exploring.
About five o’clock we drove off to a spot I knew we could check our guns at with a good backdrop to shoot against and little chance of endangering others. As I expected nobody else was in the vicinity. After blasting through a couple boxes of rounds with the 10/22 we each took a few shots with our hunting rifles to be sure of our equipment. Satisfied that my .35 Whelen and the boys 7mm08 were both hitting where they needed to be I decided we should go check some pipelines.
We checked into several sideroads leading to well pads where I knew there was some good greenery starting to fill in but had no bears feeding yet. As we drove past one pipeline right of way I remarked to my son that we should stop and walk out onto the line when we came back through. We got to the end of the road, turned around and came back. After parking the truck we grabbed our rifles and binoculars and walked out to where we could glass down the pipeline right of way. We could see about two miles of line that dropped downhill from us about two hundred vertical feet.

The line was greening up very nicely and after watching and glassing for several minutes I told my son I justcouldn’t believe there wasn’t a bear out feeding on it. As usually happens the words had no sooner left my mouth when a bear stepped into view about a mile down the line. I threw my binoculars up and from what I could see he looked like a good sized black. After watching him for a minute we decided he was definitely worth a closer look. Fortunately the slight breeze that was blowingwas coming straight up the line toward us although as we would be heading west the sun was shining right in our eyes as it dropped toward the horizon.

We got about one quarter mile down the line when the disadvantage of the sunlight did cost me the chance to see a bear coming out about 70 yards from us until it was too late. I heard a crack and just caught a glimpse of a smallish cinnamon running from us back into the bush. Oh well I thought “he’s too small anyway.”

We continued down the hill stopping to glass the bear several times as he fed. Each time we stopped I became more confident that he was a mature boar. His gait appeared to be more of a lumbering swagger and his head was quite small compared to his body. As we got to about 400 yards he was feeding in the middle of the line heading away from us. As he fed he walked right past a survey stake that had some ribbon tied to it. His back was easily as high as the top of the stake and he appeared quite wide across the back end.

The bear continued to feed away from us and finally crested a small rise in the pipeline. As we hurried down the line I kept watching to see if he would come into view beyond the rise but he didn’t. Finally we got almost to the point where we had lost sight of thebear and I whispered to my son to put a round in the chamber as the bear was either gone or just out of view. We eased ahead a couple more yards and I caught a glimpse of the top of his back. He was still feeding and only about forty yards away. I quietly motioned to the boy that the bear was right there and we moved toward some large spruce trees on the side of the line which I hoped we could conceal behind while waiting for a shot. Unfortunately there was some small shrubbery and branches that looked to be blocking a clear shot.

The bear was now in full view about thirty yards out and unaware of us. Instead of continuing to the spruce trees I whispered to my son to take a knee and we would wait for the shot. Aftera couple gentle squeaks from the cow elk call I had with me which the bear paid no attention to he finally gave us the angle I was looking for. I asked my son if he was ready and to take him if he was. The 7mm08 barked and the bear immediately spun biting at his front shoulder before wheeling away and crashing into the bush out of sight.

After a minute of waiting and listening we heard the bear bawling his last few breathes. I gave him a couple more minutes before slowly walking up the line to where I thought he had gone in. As I looked into the bush I could see him piled up not twenty yards from me. After a few good sized roots were thrown at him I walked in and gave him a poke with my rifle but he was done.

Congratulations to my son for a pretty good mature boar. He was an honest six footer and about 300 lbs. When we skinned him he had about 2 inches of fat on his hams and an excellent thick long coat. I couldn’t have been any happier than I was with my son at that moment. He stayed cool and waited for the right opportunity and made a good clean kill. The bullet was a 140 grain Nosler ETip for anybody who might be interested.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/BearChaser/DSC01043.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/BearChaser/media/DSC01043.jpg.html)
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/BearChaser/DSC01048.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/BearChaser/media/DSC01048.jpg.html)

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/BearChaser/DSC01051.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/BearChaser/media/DSC01051.jpg.html)

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/BearChaser/DSC01056.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/BearChaser/media/DSC01056.jpg.html)

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/BearChaser/DSC01059.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/BearChaser/media/DSC01059.jpg.html)

Bear Chaser
05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
The cartridge pictured between the bears ears is a .35 Whelen placed for size comparison.
My son is just under 6 ft and weighs about 145 lbs.

Good2bCanadian
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Good job!

great write up

monasheemountainman
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
nice bear! congrats to your boy, and you!

sarg
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Good looking bear there, good job

Knute
05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Way to go Junior...and the old man of course..that's a bear to be proud of for sure.

Nice looking coat on him, very nice bruin.

It's nice you two could get out together and get your bear in short order. Don't want to let much get in the way of party time when your 16 :)

srupp
05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
congradulations..well done on a great bear.

Steven

Bear Chaser
05-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.
I apologize to any of you trying to read the story as there are some word spacing issues that weren't there when I proof read it.
For some reason the Edit Post function is not allowing me to see the text in order to make corrections.

Ron.C
05-30-2013, 01:27 PM
great bear, congrats

The Dawg
05-30-2013, 01:37 PM
That's a wicked bear! Congrats!

Steeleco
05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
As my sig line below shows. Congrats on a very nice bear.

Blainer
05-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Nice healthy looking bruin!
Good on ya!

outdoorsk
05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Well done Bear Chaser. Congrats to your son and you. I can't wait to take my two sons out hunting this year. Spring bear is out of the question. Hoping for fall hunting.

fester
05-30-2013, 03:23 PM
dynamite bear

kennyj
05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Way to go Jr Bear Chaser! Thats a great bear.
kenny

Above the Treeline
05-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Great Job! Congrats!

itsy bitsy xj
05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.
I apologize to any of you trying to read the story as there are some word spacing issues that weren't there when I proof read it.
For some reason the Edit Post function is not allowing me to see the text in order to make corrections.

Great write up and congrats to you and your son thats a nice looking bear
I was going to be a smart ass and say yoou should proof read this but I see you beat me to it lol

gerrygoat
05-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Congrats to both of you, thats a really nice bear. Great choice in cartridges and bullets too, the E Tip is a good one.

adamgarbett
05-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Congrats that's a great bear, I love the dark face. I want to get me a all black face boar for my next mount 😈

Ambush
05-30-2013, 07:54 PM
That's an awesome bear! Congratulations all around.

And you should maybe change Junior's name from bear chaser to bear catcher.

daycort
05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Brucey it took long enough to post that. Great bear taken out of my old back yard. I'll have to give B a beer and a shot of fireball next time your out. We should actually drink whiskey this weekend. Bruce is looking thirsty.

greenhorn
05-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Dang, nice one!!!

Bear Chaser
06-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Fixed grammar errors in original story.

Had to copy entire post including pics and paste into the Edit Post screen before I was able to make corrections.

Rattler
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Congratulations to you and your son on a dandy black bear.

BCHunterFSJ
06-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Congratulations to your boy on a real nice bear!
Well written story, Bear Chaser... And good pics too.

Vic

Rhyno
06-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Nice bear! Great write up too.

todbartell
06-28-2013, 09:01 AM
that boar is a bruiser, congrats

tinhorse
06-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Nice bear! Just a question, I bought some etips for my 7-08 and am going to start loading them and was wondering what you loaded yours with or are they factory. thanks

Bear Chaser
06-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Nice bear! Just a question, I bought some etips for my 7-08 and am going to start loading them and was wondering what you loaded yours with or are they factory. thanks

Nosler Manual#6 published book max 42.0 grains of Varget.

Worked up to starting from book published minimum of course.

tinhorse
06-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks, I was using 41 gr varget with 139 hornadys so I am hoping the gun will like the etips the same. Looks like they did a good job on the bear.