PDA

View Full Version : Buying vs Renting an Irridium Sat Phone

Rackmastr
05-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Hey guys,

Wanted to check and see what thoughts were on Sat phone owners, renters, etc and big trips.

I've got a SPOT Messenger right now and have been considering upgrading it to a SPOT Connect so I can send messages out. On my grizz trip we experienced a couple times where having a Sat phone would have been a very strong asset. Obviously on fly-in type trips or extended trips (solo, etc) having a Sat phone is nice for being able to have direct communication rather than pre-programmed messages.

My young family relies on my SPOT message every night, but also would be very happy if they could talk to Daddy every day or two and just try to keep things a touch more 'regular'. I've started looking at best options with phones vs SPOT vs Delorme, etc.

Seems the Sat phone biggest issue is the initial purchase obviously. Around $1400 or so it looks like. Then every year it looks like a $210 commitment for a 6 month card with 200 minutes. I was thinking if a guy bought a 6 month card in May for any spring hunts through summer/fall it would cover a guy for whats needed. With one big trip a year, it would be interesting to find out if a guy is further ahead making the investment or renting it every year instead.

Any comments on phones to look at or if my thinking is way off on this one? Obviously a much bigger investment so one of those things I'm just bouncing around as an idea right now. Would love to hear some insight from owners or renters and costs, etc.

Trekker
05-28-2013, 06:36 PM
These look pretty cool. Send and receive texts messages. Certainly cheaper than a sat phone.

It doesnt have to run off your GPS or iphone either.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

nap
05-28-2013, 06:38 PM
My wife and I bought an Irridium sat phone a few years back, we had rented one a couple times before we bought one for ourselves. My wife and I do alot of boating, quading etc, and find ourselves 100 km plus from the pickup. We have used it to get ourselves out of a pinch and have been able to help others as well several times. When we call the kids from the Tuchodi lakes to let them know we made it fine, all are happy. We pay a monthly fee and I believe a $1.00 a minute only when we use it. It is a little pricey but it is always with us and has never failed us so far. I think it could be a great investment for anyone who spends alot of time out of cell service.

Tuffcity
05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
I have an older qualcom (1600) globalstar. Works like a hotdamn but service is a touch inconsistent but its never long before a satellite is in range. Voice quality is equal to cell reception with strong bars. Global had a deal last year that if you locked in for a year it was ~$40 a month unlimited calling in NA. Phoned home lots when we were sheep hunting last year (even phoned buddies just to gloat :) ) and whitetail in the Monashees. Paid for itself a short while ago when I had to call ambulance and rescue to a FSR accident scene.

I'll have one as long as rates are reasonable. I use an at irridium for work and I find the global has better voice quality.

RC

digger dogger
05-28-2013, 07:26 PM
I had an irridium 9505a, i sold it and got a inreach.
Way cheaper, and just as reliable, imo.

allan
05-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Delorme Inreach for me, Pairs to my I phone. The new Delorme Inreach can text two way with out pairing to phone. Which would be nice as I could borrow it out to those that don't have smart phones easier, new Inreach due out in June.

Rackmastr
05-28-2013, 07:32 PM
I'm not so worried about the 'contact' part that I'd get with an InReach and have done research on Inreach, SPOT Connect, etc. My main question is in regards to REAL voice calls...just more trying to decide if I'll make the jump so I'm able to have a real conversation. If it helped my 4 year old having them hear me and talk to me, it would make it easier on the family. But ya, still doing some major considerations as the cost is obviously much higher.

Everett
05-28-2013, 07:39 PM
We rented a Sat Phone last year for the first time and it was great to be able to call the plane when a forest fire started to head our way. It cost us $10 per day from the float plane company and they didn't charge us for airtime because the only people we called was them. It was a Globestar so the coverage wasn't great but it worked. Don't think I will do another fly in without one.

albravo2
05-28-2013, 07:41 PM
When your kids are really young the voice is worth some extra dough. Mine are older so my inReach fits the bill.

ryanb
05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
For those that have spent a lot of time really back there, and have had to make unexpected calls, such as a helicopter company to make an emergency flight...a sat phone is irreplaceable. Lets see you explain to a helo company an unexpected call out over a text messaging device...yah right!

The SOS buttons on those devices should only be for life and death situations, so I want to be able to coordinate my own rescue on my own dime if its not life and death, but hey that's me.

Sat phone is the way to go. Avoid globalstar. It might work sometimes, but a sat phone is not something you want to only work sometimes.

jamfarm
05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
A couple of years ago we rented two sat phones for a hunting trip and did not have great success with them so we got two inReach.

The inReach was good to have but there were some huge draw backs, mostly because of it being tied to the iphone. Although the inReach can be used without the iphone it is limited. A big drawback is basically the battery life of the iPhone, once your phone dies you can't send out custom messages. Also if you receive a message there is no audible tone to notify you unless your iphone is on but that kills the phone battery.

It looks like delorme is coming out with the inReach SE, we will be upgrading to that since you don't need a phone to use it and it looks like it has audible notifications.

boxhitch
05-29-2013, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a prime case for partnering the ownership. Can your needs be worked in with someone elses , and share the costs and contract ?
All boils down to how much you value the contact I guess.

shallowH2O
05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
since the launch of new satelites in late feb globstars coverage has increased dramatically. around the woods of quesnel and williams lake we now have service 95% of the time with very short service interuptions. i run 4 -5 globalstars for my forestry business and they are nice to have. my contracts are at 40$/month unlimited, but believe that is no longer aviliable. initial cost is around 500 for the phone

Pioneerman
05-29-2013, 09:52 AM
I had rented the global star 1600 phones off and on and then bought one. I was doing monthly contracts then went to pay per call as I use it seldom any longer. So seldom I am thinking of selling it. The coverage has increased a ton in the last few years and they keep promising 100% coverage by summer, so who knows. The battery life is great, it can stay in my atv or pack for months on a charge and ready to go when needed. I generally charge it before a hunting trip and it is good for the whole trip talking and on standby . Wish my cell had this kind of battery life lol

srupp
05-29-2013, 11:15 AM
hmmm Trev give me a call...SPOT rep..and use the sat phones @ work....both types..Steven

Gun Dog
05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
A friend with an out of cell service cabin went with GlobalStar a few years ago. The phone was $400 and the plan was $40/mo with unlimited NA minutes. Didn't matter since the coverage was around 10 minutes per hour. They've launched a lot more satellites and now the coverage is almost 100%. Don't know if he still has unlimited minutes. One downside is he has a Calgary telephone number so calling him is long distance.

Mountain Hunter
06-01-2013, 01:26 PM
My buddy has a sat phone and he just rents it out cheap to friends and colleagues when he is not using it. If you have a group of friends that do various things other than hunting, such as backpacking then you may be able to do this as well.

Hunting guy
06-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Have a global star that has worked great for the last year, reliable calls from all over BC and at $40 a month unlimited its a good deal. The phone was $450 new.