PDA

View Full Version : Field judging Black Bear

BRrooster
05-28-2013, 05:10 PM
I live in the Okanagan and have been bear hunting a few times and even whacked a small one with my bow a few years ago. He was only 15 yards away and looked pissed at me so I took the shot. Anyway it was close and fast and I ended up with a 4 ft bear. He was tasty though.
I was wondering how to judge the size of a live bear. My daughter and I saw a nice Brown color one last weekend and we both couldnt agree on about how big he was. He was on the road as we turned the corner , and bolted as soon as he heard the truck . All we could agree on , was he looked like a big brown "ball" as he barrelled off the road into the bush. Didnt think of stopping to look at the track size and figured he wasnt going to be stopping anytime soon. So on we went.
Also , how big would the average bear get around Kelowna and area anyway? I realize that they get bigger elsewhere, like on the coast.

thanks

bruce

Shooter
05-28-2013, 05:23 PM
The smaller the ears look the bigger the bear is. :) plus look at the gut if you can, and a nice blocky looking face and head

Bod
05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
An easy comparison that most people can relate to is, just like a Lab dog, or any other breed you may be familiar with. Long skinny nose and big ears, with a skinny, lanky look it probably a young bear of female. Short fat face, small ears, belly dragging on the ground is a good sign of a mature bear. Same with a dog. Like most other wildlife there will be no mistake when it's a trophy!

monasheemountainman
05-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Was it up Stuart? If so he's big and im gonna get him

BRrooster
05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Nope "MMM"
You turn left off the hwy, right , then right again, up around the lake and on until you pass the big rock. You cant miss it.