PDA

View Full Version : Habitat Restoration Kelowna Area - Need Help

GoatGuy
05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
With the help of a small grant from the Public Conservation Assistance Fund, (Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation and province of B.C.), the Peachland Sportsman's Association is organizing a work party to begin some restoration work on the Bald Range pocket grassland off Bear Main Forest Service Road and restore some valuable ungulate winter range.
We're hoping you can come out Saturday, June 8 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or so to help remove some of the smaller trees that have encroached on the grassland, and cut them up with Swede saws into lengths with which to build modified check dams in some of the former trails that have become incised down the hill.
That will help to slow the flow of water that continues to erode those trails deeper and deeper into the hillside and ultimately cause those gulleys to be filled in instead of worsening.
The area has been fenced-off to exclude dirt bikers from using it any more and new, sustainable trails have been built in the area around that small grassland, so our work should be worthwhile.
You don't need to be young and strong to come out and help, though we will need some strong young arms and legs for some of the work.
I do need to know who is able to join us, (in part for lunch arrangements) so please reply as soon as you can to let me know if you can come out and help.
If you have chainsaw safety certification and are able to join us, please let me know, as it would be helpful to have some of the trees removed using a chainsaw, but we don't want anyone using one who doesn't have the certification.
We will need some Swede saws, rakes, shovels etc.
I will reply with instructions about where to meet etc., when I hear back from you.
Thanx very much.
---judie=

Email:
trailmixture@shaw.ca

OutWest
05-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Won't know until Thursday (6th) if my crew will be on standby. If not, I'm there!

Amphibious
05-29-2013, 03:45 PM
If I get let go early I will be all over this, but i'm on contract until the 9th, unless Alberta starts burning again....

Flinch
06-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Looks like we will meet at the "Upper Pits" parking lot. Turn off Bear Main FSR at about the 10 km mark, then follow the signs to the parking lot - about 1 more km. We will be up there from 9:00 am til about 1:00 pm.