PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops area gun choice

Tim
05-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey there,

I'm looking for a brush gun next, a nice leaver action 30-30 with an aperture sight. Wholesale has the Marlin 336W on for $429 and a 336SS for $609. I live and hunt the kamloops area and I might be heading north into the caribou for moose this year depending on the LEH results. Ive read about the carbon content in blued vs stainless which favors blued for cold bore shots and rifling durability. But then there is the point of ease of care that goes along with stainless as well as the chromium content for overall bore durability.

I'm looking for some help choosing between SS or blued. I like the blued look but Im worried about the wear on a blued gun I plan on tromping through the thickest of bush. I'm in the Kamloops area and its quite dry here so I'm not sure if going stainless is really necessary. My other rifle (savage model 111 Blued in .270) has kept up very well but I have purposely been careful when going through the bush. I'm also fairly decided on 30-30 mainly just because its got a lot of history about being popular but I wouldn't mind hearing about other leaver action calibers and their 'advantages'? . I've only been hunting for two and a half seasons so I'd love to hear from some well seasoned hunters about caliber choice and finish.

Regards,

-Tim

Fred1
05-27-2013, 07:48 PM
I just wont buy another gun unless its stainless... Im tough on my gear and dont need to worry about asthetics and cosmetics - just me. My 30-30 (blued) is in its 20th year and it has held up well. Its "retired" to my road hunting gun now - behind the seat :) Great quick gun, taken lots of moose deer and black bears - however, it did miss a nice cinnamon bear last week 0_o

REMINGTON JIM
05-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Marlin 336w 30-30 with a Williams PeeP sight will work fine - just look after and service it after being out in the weather ! :-D RJ

warnniklz
05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Blued is fine

BearSupreme
05-27-2013, 08:26 PM
You have to clean your gun whether its blued or stainless, and cheaper stainless will rust a bit too. Some guys will get lazy because stainless doesnt need to be cleaned, but if you clean it either way, its up to your preference. Ill always stick with the blued barrels because I like the look more, and I would assume an animal looking at you will see the shine of stainless more than a blued barrel.

Tim
05-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think you may be right 'bearsupreme' with that cheap stainless wont be as weatherproof as a more expensive rifle.

So pretty much you guys agree with the 30-30 choice?

North Star
05-27-2013, 09:29 PM
No I wouldn't bother with a 30-30, it's an old cartridge. The .270 is a far superior round, just stick with that.

The blued vs stainless is more of a personal choice, you have to take care of both. No big deal giving either a quick spray and wipe at the end of a wet day.

Tim
05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
No I wouldn't bother with a 30-30, it's an old cartridge. The .270 is a far superior round, just stick with that.

The blued vs stainless is more of a personal choice, you have to take care of both. No big deal giving either a quick spray and wipe at the end of a wet day.

Its more the brush gun / I wanna be john wayne type of rifle Im looking for. I Like my .270. It gets sub-moa groups. But I wanna bring a machette to my next brush walk, not a scalpel.

adriaticum
05-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Its more the brush gun / I wanna be john wayne type of rifle Im looking for. I Like my .270. It gets sub-moa groups. But I wanna bring a machette to my next brush walk, not a scalpel.

Get a Browning BLR lever action in .270
You have to pay a little more but it's worth it.
Marlin romance is over. Quality is down since Remington bought them out.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/firearms/lever-action-rifles/blr-lightweight-81/prod81720.html

boxhitch
05-28-2013, 03:21 AM
If the range limitations of an iron sighted dirty 30 suit your game , then go for it. But don't expect it to plow through the brush any better than any other bullet.
Mild recoil , fast follow-up shot , JW leather belt full of brass , Stetson ?

bearhunter338-06
05-28-2013, 07:33 AM
First of all it would depend on what your going to hunt with the "Bush Gun", are you buying new or used. For deer the 30-30 is just fine. Being more then capable to kill a moose as well. Myself just because of the moose factor I would opt for a little more power.

Used: 35 Remington, 32 Special, 358 Win, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 45-70 and a few more

New: 30-30, 45-70 or what ever you want in the Browning BLR.

Their is a hole host of availability with the Browning BLR, Marlin's, Winchesters and the Savage 99's. Study them and choose. Or just pick up a new Marlin 30-30. It will do all you ask of it with 170gr bullet in the right place.

RoscoeP
05-28-2013, 08:08 AM
You can get that Browning lever gun in 7mm-08 and I think that would be great, short cartridge, lighter recoil than a .270 or .308. Good luck on your choice, Cheers roscoe