PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear late june

ZacNap
05-27-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm getting ready to go for bear but the trips going to be a little late this year towards the end of june and the warm weathers got me a little worried about what to do with the meat

Bring to a butcher up there or truck it back to the mainland ?
how long can i hang it for ?
or should i keep it in coolers then straight to get processed
I will be just outside williams lake

thanks

Big Lew
05-27-2013, 05:14 PM
I've found that a bear carcass, especially if it has a lot of fat on it, can turn rancid fairly quickly if not cooled down right away, more so then a deer.

junkyard_g
05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
used chest freezer from buy and sell for lessthan $100 if you got a generator. only have to run it a couple hours a day. large cooler with several ice blocks will get it thru the weekend too. deboned bears dont take up alot of room. we stuck 3 medium sized deboned ones in a 7 cubic foot one no problem with room to spare the other weekend.

bccanadian
05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm getting ready to go for bear but the trips going to be a little late this year towards the end of june and the warm weathers got me a little worried about what to do with the meat

Bring to a butcher up there or truck it back to the mainland ?
how long can i hang it for ?
or should i keep it in coolers then straight to get processed
I will be just outside williams lake

thanks

Keep in mind, some areas close June 15th.

hunter1947
05-29-2013, 04:31 AM
Take a few coolers 4 or 5 put block ice in the coolers with the bear meat after you have sectioned the bear into parts you will be good to go till you get to the butcher..

BearSupreme
05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
I got mine June 22nd last year in region 4 and it was a beauty cinnamond almost blonde on top bear last year. It was ruitting but the meat was still really good. The fur had lots of rubs on it, so I would say the fur is one thing that will get worse as the hunting gets later into summer.

gerrygoat
05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Coolers and lots of ice and you will be fine. Once you have the legs and backstraps off get them in there asap. Good luck when you go.

ZacNap
05-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Ya il be up in region 5 closer to williams lake so im better off getting it on ice then off to the butcher up there then trying to keep it cold long enough to bring back to the lower mainland