PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the new Razor HD Spotter

DGuest
05-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Looks like Vortex came out with two new models in their razor HD line, 16-48x65mm and 11-33x50mm.

Anyone have experience with either a Razor HD spotter or 50mm spotters?

I like the idea of the compact lightweight spotting scope for hiking etc. but I'm worried it won't be bright enough in low light conditions. Optics planet has them on for a real good price right now and I'm very tempted.

Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Wrongside
05-28-2013, 07:58 PM
DGuest,

I have had the new Razor HD 11-33x50 for a month or so now. It's been on a few backpack trips looking for bear and tinkered with extensively around the house. :)

I'm very pleased with it's performance! Especially given the size and price. It compares very favourably with the long time leader of the the 50MM class, the Nikon ED50. Both are great scopes for a guy watching pack weight and size.

DGuest
05-29-2013, 08:15 AM
Did you opt for the angled or straight eye piece? I was thinking straight only because the 50mm doesn't rotate like the rest of the vortex spotters.

Wrongside
05-29-2013, 06:46 PM
I prefer and purchased straight. Lots of other guys prefer angled. :)

Totally personal preference and what a guy's gotten used too.

albravo2
05-29-2013, 09:30 PM
I have the 65, bought a couple months ago, and really like it. I had the opportunity to compare some Vortex HD binocs to my Swarovskis last weekend and I can't say the Vortex were as clear, but certainly better for the price and the warranty is huge for me.

I chose straight and I'm glad I did. More natural pointing and easier looking downhill.

If you are up this way (Squamish) you are welcome to swing by and take a look at it. Send me a PM.

I bought from CameralandNY. If you say you are a member of the forum they will give you 10% off their prices and they ship for free. I shipped to a PO box in Blaine.