PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum and Hunting

motosuccubus
05-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Im not the type to intro myself but I really want to get into hunting and I dont think its a good solo hobby for a newb. Ive got a couple good buddies that are seasoned hunters but distance makes it tough to learn much from them hands on.

This seems like a great online community. I grew up in the Kootenays, did the city career thing for awhile and recently decided life is too short to waste in meetings so I bought a property and moved back to the kootenays this spring.

Looking forward to picking up some good info here and hoping to get some good meat in the freezer or at least some tall tales.

Thx!

coach
05-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the site. Best of luck in the upcoming season!

Sofa King
05-24-2013, 10:08 PM
welcome and good luck.
i'm sure there's guys on here from your area that will help you out.

Singleshotneeded
05-24-2013, 10:11 PM
Welcome to HBC...if you have any questions about anything feel free to ask, buddy! :-)

Surrey Boy
05-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Great choice of hobby! Much better than drugs, dating, street racing. May you advance to the heavens in your lifetime. (Chinese bow)

Mr. Dean
05-25-2013, 01:00 AM
There's an old saying:
If you want to be a millionaire, hang out with millionaire's.

So I suspect this place is good as any if ya wanna learn hunting. :wink:

Don't let going solo deter you. Get out there, be safe, and share your exploits here - You will learn!

motosuccubus
05-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Hey thanks for the encouragement! I didnt know if hunting alone would be stupid cause although Ive done the prep, stalking and shooting, Ive never killed a game animal and had to dress and pack it out. Ive got a Spot beacon for when I go moto alone out of cell range.

Heading out to get a rifle, so many options! I'll be using it for bear and deer mostly but may go elk hunting once or twice. Im 5'5" and 120lbs so something lighter and shorter would be easier to handle in the bush.

Advice?

Ideas?

Drillbit
05-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Remington model 7 in 7-08.

moosecamp
05-25-2013, 08:48 AM
I would suggest you head to your local sports store and handle all different makes of rifles to see how they feel. There are some very good off the shelf shooting rifles - savage, Tikka, Sako, Remington, Weatherby. All good rifles, now your choice on how much you want to spend. I would suggest a .308 win. an all around good caliber.

nature girl
05-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Welcome and you have a good year hunting. You sure will learn alot.
Good luck with picking out a rifle.

ROM
05-25-2013, 08:58 AM
X2 moosecamp's comments. start with a 308. It will harvest anything in BC efficiently.

Mr. Dean
05-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Hey thanks for the encouragement! I didnt know if hunting alone would be stupid cause although Ive done the prep, stalking and shooting, Ive never killed a game animal and had to dress and pack it out. Ive got a Spot beacon for when I go moto alone out of cell range.

Heading out to get a rifle, so many options! I'll be using it for bear and deer mostly but may go elk hunting once or twice. Im 5'5" and 120lbs so something lighter and shorter would be easier to handle in the bush.

Advice?

Ideas?

The 1st deer I took probably took me 2 hrs to just dress out (no skinning)!
I copied and laminated some instructions on it from the CORE manual and carried those in my pack.

But me being the idiot I am,,,, I left 'em in the camper but DID study the crap out of them the night before.
The end result was good, just not efficient. But that's learning. :lol:

308 is a very versatile cartridge - See if you can shoot one.

Weatherby Fan
05-25-2013, 09:25 AM
I would suggest you head to your local sports store and handle all different makes of rifles to see how they feel. There are some very good off the shelf shooting rifles - savage, Tikka, Sako, Remington, Weatherby. All good rifles, now your choice on how much you want to spend. I would suggest a .308 win. an all around good caliber.

This is great advice from moosecamp,when you look at these guns shoulder them several times to see whats comfortable for you,guns I would look at
Remington Model 7, Remington 700 Mountain Rifle SS, and if you looking for an amazingly accurate rifle for a great price check out the new Weatherby Vanguard S2,also comes in a youth model,I just bought an S2 for 529.00+tax and it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds.
What caliber ??? .308,7mm-08,270win,30-06 any of the more common calibers would make sense.

Welcome to HBC and I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a Deer or Elk living where you do,were looking forward to some pictures and a story !

.308 NORMA
05-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Welcome aboard!!!!!

Hillbros_96
05-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Welcome and good luck.

604redneck
05-25-2013, 06:04 PM
.308 is definitely where i would start and u cant go wrong with a .270, 30-06 or 7mm-08 all common and average recoil. Dont be scared on the solo thing just be safe and maybe watch youtube vids on how too bone out an animal especially if you will be hiking aways off the road. If i were to get a bear and i had hiked in to get it i would be doing the gutless method so learn to do that and to properly care for and handle the meat and capes till you are able to get them to the butcher and taxidermist. Happy hunting!

Mr. Dean
05-25-2013, 11:05 PM
The term, succubus, shoulda been a clue.... Welcome to the show.

itsy bitsy xj
05-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Welcome aboard

redneckjoe
05-26-2013, 03:44 AM
Welcome aboard. Kootenays is a fantastic place to live.

bearslayer01
05-26-2013, 06:34 AM
where abouts do u live

brian
05-26-2013, 01:33 PM
I dont think its a good solo hobby for a newb.

Its not the smartest way to go about it, but don't let that stop you if you can't find someone to head out with you.

fyffer
05-28-2013, 06:55 AM
This is my first year hunting. I have no friends that hunt so watched lots of you tube. I shoot a .270 savage 111. It shoots .25 inch groups at 100 yards. I took two bears this year with it. With field dressing game. it is easy took me 1 hr with gutting. skinning. and to quarter a bear

igojuone
05-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Oh my god, 23 replies and nobody asked for a joke, this site must be growing up. Welcome to the world of hunting and somebody will ask you to supply a joke but please don't feel obligated.

motosuccubus
05-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Ya Im female and that was me on the impala forums. My car is still not fixed up but I hear there's a new category of vintage car "survivor" to go along with "restored" and "custom hod rod", which is perfect cause I quite like cruising in faded jeans and paint! Anyways, wrong forum.

Im gonna avoid solo hunting if I can because I dont wanna be a liability to my contacts on my Spot beacon if I can help it. Having said that, theres lots of good advice here on doing it and thats appreciated!

I just bought a place in Nelson and had hoped to go turkey hunting this spring but the move was to hectic so maybe next fall.

Further, theres no such thing as a free ride so heres the joke but you must have a mirror handy so stop reading til you're at one.

Put your hand straight up in the air, bicep pressed against your ear, and wave it around leisurely at the elbow. Now make an exaggerated kissy face and move your lips like a fish blowing bubbles repeatedly. What are you looking at in the mirror?

Fred1
05-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Advice: Learn how to do good searches on this website! There is a pile of great info on these threads. Lots of questions answered, some guys with knowledge and even some good ideas ;)
Go solo if you have too! Dont wait for the tv educated fair weather hunters. Get out there, cover some ground, see some stuff and get dirty. Its the best way to learn and have fun doing it! The rifle choices mentioned are right on where you should be looking. (read 30-06) Find one that fits you/feels good and shoot the sucker LOTS! Practice practice practice! Hunting is a great game! Enjoy the hell out of it!!

Fred1
05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
As for the joke... "my buddy" says hes lookin at an idiot....? :D

motosuccubus
05-28-2013, 08:37 PM
That, and the cats ass. Ew hey?

Im gonna use the search tool a lot, for sure. Hope to be a contributor one day and avoid being a lazy tool in the meantime!

Fred1
05-30-2013, 05:16 PM
ok ewwwwwwwwwww!!! that joke is terrible... Im going to use it!!