PDA

View Full Version : Scope for grouse/furbearing rifle?

redneckjoe
05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
I picked up a Sako 46 .222 without a scope. Any recommendations what kind of scope to put on it?

I picked it up for bird-hunting and predator-hunting in B.C. and Alberta. Might be using it for martens in Europe-- although I might use a .22LR instead for that.

Singleshotneeded
05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
For accurate close-up and distant shots you definitely want a scope with an adjustable objective.
I'd get a 4-12X40 AO Bushnell Elite if you're a regular hunter. If you like to climb mountains
and bash your rifle and scope on large rocks for fun and twisted pleasure, then go with Leupold.
Supposedly when you've succeeded in destroying your scope on the rocks, Leupold gives you a new one! :-)

redneckjoe
05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
For accurate close-up and distant shots you definitely want a scope with an adjustable objective.
I'd get a 4-12X40 AO Bushnell Elite if you're a regular hunter. If you like to climb mountains
and bash your rifle and scope on large rocks for fun and twisted pleasure, then go with Leupold.
Supposedly when you've succeeded in destroying your scope on the rocks, Leupold gives you a new one! :-)

Interesting choice! The adjustable objective and the ballistics reticle will do nicely for those short-range grouse-shots in the early fall and long-range shots in the winter when the birds are more paranoid after the leaves have fallen; plus shooting coyotes on the prairie.

Singleshotneeded
05-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, Joe. I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40 AO on our .17HMR and it shoots tiny tight groups at 30 yards and at 150 yards,
because you can adjust for the parallax.

redneckjoe
05-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks, Singleshotneeded!

I will see how it works out.