PDA

View Full Version : waterfowl hunting saskatchewan

pnbrock
05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
anyone headed to sask for a waterfowl hunt with no fields just knocking on doors?do the local guides have all the fields sewn up?any help appreciated.

.300WSMImpact!
05-24-2013, 04:31 PM
the geese are pests out there knock on doors be polite and clean, you will get some areas

pronghorn
05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
There are so many fields your best bet is pick a area buy a RM map and start mocking on doors if your nice you will not have a problem. There's guys still hammering snows right now until the end of the month.

lorneparker1
05-25-2013, 05:28 PM
There are so many fields your best bet is pick a area buy a RM map and start mocking on doors if your nice you will not have a problem. There's guys still hammering snows right now until the end of the month.

I would suggest knocking rather then mocking but mocking might work to! I haven't hunted there since I moved out west, but ive hunted both sask and Manitoba freelance and ive hunted Alberta with a buddy that lives there. Yes there are guides, some American illegals too, but there is more then enough area to hunt and more then enough birds for everyone. I have never been denied permission once in prairies (man, sask, or alta) unless someone had already asked. IF the first field with 20,000 is geese and ducks is already taken, you might have to settle for the next field with 5000 in it.

Your number one biggest asset will be the map pronghorn is referring to. GO into the local municipality and ask for the RM( farmers) maps of the surrounding area. Next go get a phone book. It will give you every block off land and the farmers name that owns it. Some farmers out there own 100's of thousand of acres and its impossible to find out where they live. But the map will tell you who owns, the phone book will tell you there number. Some maps even have the farmers numbers on them. Call em up, tell them who you are, which farm you'd like to hunt and more times than not that's all you need. Some may want to meet you in person, but that is all good!

As always, respect there land, don't drive in the field if they tell you not to, don't be a douche bag, and life is good.

pronghorn
05-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Woops been out here to long starting to spell like someone from saskatchewan lol.. Yes it should be knocking on doors. You can order maps if you know the area you want to hunt if I can help just pm me.

Kevin So
05-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Went to Lafleche in Sask. for goose hunting a couple of seasons ago, stayed at the local motel. They cater to hunters, dog friendly and the (owner) knows a lot of the folks who owns the fields in the area and have access to them. He took a afternoon off and brought a bunch of guests to a nice field to hunt snow goose, he let us used his decoys, and overall really nice guy like most folks out in Sask. They have a little restaurant/pub there at the motel and usually you'll find a few hunters there to chat and have a few beers with. PM me if you like the name of the place or you can just google it.

Like others had mentioned, most farmers there will let you use their field as long as you asked and clean up after yourself. Land as far as you can see, bring enough ammo for your stay!