PDA

View Full Version : bear fur equity

rides bike to work
05-21-2013, 08:30 PM
This past weekend i ran into a man who had just bagged a nice bear he makes sausage out of it then sells the hide.He said he gets one or two hundred bucks for the hide and never has a problem selling them.
Unfortunatley i didnt get the details on who buys his hides or if there is a legal process for it.

To me using as much of the animal is important and animal furs use to be a equity so

who buys hides

what needs to be done to legaly sell a hide

hate to see a nice fur coat go to waste

martyonthewater
05-21-2013, 08:57 PM
I would think almost any taxidermist would give you something for a fur. be it cash or a rolling credit to be used down the road in his shop.

bigwhiteys
05-21-2013, 09:13 PM
The hide needs to be in excellent shape, you need to do a somewhat meticulous job skinning/caping and then most taxidermists will still probably laugh at you because they won't want to store it and everyone thinks they want mass amounts of black bear hides...! I would suggest looking for a furrier or someone that actually sells black bear hides. They do exist. Your estimate of $100-$200 for a hide is accurate, but it needs to be a big bear (6'+) and it needs to have a good hide, with virtually no rubs. I am pretty sure there are no royalties if you're selling the hide to a licensed fur trader and you'll get the proper paperwork for the sale as well.

t-rexer
05-21-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm just going to square them off and save them to make a nice blanket or comforter. Should be warm