PDA

View Full Version : How to bait doves/pigeons?

russm86
05-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. My neighborhood is getting over run with some invasive species of doves. Talked to CO and city and they both told me I could take them out as they are a non-native and invasive species. They first showed up in my neighborhood about 6 yrs ago and CO says they reproduce up to 6 times a year so needless to say they are getting a little overpopulated and are waking me up at dawn every morning because they are so loud and such a different and unusual bird noise for the area. Anyways, I'm going to pick up a pellet rifle as to be legal within city limits and to not disturb the neighbors too much but what's the best way to bait these things into my backyard where it is safe to shoot them?

Fella
05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
French fries.

Spy
05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Old white bread & seeds should do the trick. What kind of pigeons/doves are they, any pictures?

adriaticum
05-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Wheat, sunflower seeds, bird seed.

russm86
05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
CO said they are a European Collared Dove. They are basically just a solid light grey/tan color and make an excessively loud and annoying cooing sound. CO says they came up from the southern states or something a few years ago now and have stuck around and been breeding nonstop. Just google them and you can see what they look like.

05-21-2013, 12:57 PM
couple loaves of bread and a cargo net..... lol

Fella
05-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Cigarette butts would probably work too. I've seen pigeons gobbling them up in a McDonald's parking lot like crazy.

Swamp mule
05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
put some grain out for them to get used to comeing in your backyard and then put a special grain that has been soaked with vodka so they can't detect the smell. Two positive outcomes. they get tanked and you can catch them easily and/or they are marinated and cook them on the BBQ.

limit time
05-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Where are you and can I help?

lip_ripper00
05-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I feel ya, used to think they where cool when I was visiting family in Britain but the little fackers never shut up...........after a pub night you just want to kill the little sob's

Everett
05-21-2013, 06:42 PM
those are good eating

Jagermeister
05-21-2013, 08:40 PM
No doubt they are turding everywhere and there are some nasty pathogens associated with their excretements.
Two things attract those blighters, a good reliable food source and a safe place to lay and hatch eggs. Remove both of those and they should move on.
Otherwise, it is a never ending story, they will just keep breeding like rats.

finngun
05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
use bread what is dipped the whisky:mrgreen: they fly through the walls..like kamikaziis:-D

russm86
05-21-2013, 08:56 PM
I have a few things to try now it looks like. Is it better to get the bait up off the ground a little like a bird bath type thing or raised feeder to get them off the ground? Just wondering if tossing it in the grass will make it too hard to find or not obvious enough and would maybe make them a little weary of possible predators, I have yet to see these things on the ground anywhere just in every dang tree and on every powerline. Also, anyone seen those traps I think the first nations made for seagulls or something that was basically a wood box with high sides and then like a grid in the top of the box can't recall a name or anything. Basically they would land inside but because of the high plywood sides and the wood grid on top they couldn't jump out and didn't have enough room to spread there wings out to fly out. Seemed like a simple trap but not sure if something like that would work for these things?

Jagermeister
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
I have a few things to try now it looks like. Is it better to get the bait up off the ground a little like a bird bath type thing or raised feeder to get them off the ground? Just wondering if tossing it in the grass will make it too hard to find or not obvious enough and would maybe make them a little weary of possible predators, I have yet to see these things on the ground anywhere just in every dang tree and on every powerline. Also, anyone seen those traps I think the first nations made for seagulls or something that was basically a wood box with high sides and then like a grid in the top of the box can't recall a name or anything. Basically they would land inside but because of the high plywood sides and the wood grid on top they couldn't jump out and didn't have enough room to spread there wings out to fly out. Seemed like a simple trap but not sure if something like that would work for these things?All you have to do is look along a railroad track after a grain train has sat long enough to grain to spill out. They will be on the ground for sure. It might be more productive to bait on a drive way if the grass is too tall.

Fella
05-21-2013, 09:44 PM
All you have to do is look at a McDonald's parking lot to know that they'd rather waddle around like lazy slobs than do any flying at all

GoodPartner
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Just wondering if tossing it in the grass will make it too hard to find or not obvious enough and would maybe make them a little weary of possible predators

I have a bunch of these doves in my backyard right now. They haven't touched my feeder but I threw some seed on the ground for the jays and the doves were on it every morning until it was all cleaned up. They are still hanging out on the ground in that spot.

boxhitch
05-21-2013, 10:56 PM
Seemed like a simple trap but not sure if something like that would work for these things? Sounds like an M-trap or V-top trap ? Large enough to walk into ?
Something smaller with a one-way door could be effective , take a look for pigeon traps.

Know the rules though. They don't appear on Schd. C yet.

BIRDS

All birds are considered wildlife and are afforded full protection under the BC Wildlife Act. A person commits an offence if the person except as provided by regulation or by an issued permit, possesses, takes, injures, molests or destroys a bird or its eggs.
Under the Wildlife Act Designation and Exemption Regulation 253/2000 Schedule C, point 2, the following species of birds and their nests or eggs can be destroyed without a permit: crows (except common ravens), black-billed magpies, European starlings, house sparrows, rock doves and brown-headed cowbirds.

russm86
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
They weren't any kind of large or manufactured trap is was basically a plywood box about 16" or so high with like a 6" or 12" wooden grid on top idea was they would jump down into the box from the side but weren't able to jump high enough to get back out and because of the grid they couldn't actually fly out. I know they aren't in schedule C yet but I already talked to the CO who lives a few houses down from me as well as the city Bylaws officers both said it was ok as long as I'm not disturbing the neighbors or doing anything unsafe/illegal otherwise.

Josethesiningfish
05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Where are you? and can I help?

BUCKJR
05-31-2013, 10:17 PM
I feel your pain, we have some of these doves around our house and i'm just about sick of them too.

Crab Bait
05-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Delicious!

Gateholio
05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Get a sack of hen scratch for. $15 from the local feed store

Pete
05-21-2014, 11:25 AM
Doves are not that difficult to catch M traps or Drop traps work well with Drop traps being my favorite The advantage of the M trap is that you do not have to be there to monitor it. Shooting in the city is not an option. You do not want to go there with the paranoia of the general public. If you have the space the bigger the trap the better. My Drop traps are 24ft long and 12ft wide, all are remote controlled though I have even fired them using a stick and pretensioned fishing line. Our primary target is Starling taking over 80,000 birds in 10 years, however it is just a matter of switching baits to accommodate a new target species, Pigeon, (Rock Dove) Doves and the occasional escaped exotic Macaws, Perrot's, ducks etc. Any thoughts as what to do once you catch them???

Jimsue
05-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Was down in Texas a month ago to see my son, the ranch has tons of them. He has a wind powered Robo Dove and a pellet gun, they are good eating.....

Gateholio
05-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Pics of the traps ?

NMO
05-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Don't forget to stuff the breast with jalapeno & cream cheese, wrap with bacon, and bbq..

aggiehunter
05-22-2014, 09:24 PM
ag yes..za sounds of birds...kill 'zem all.....

Gateholio
05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Don't forget to stuff the breast with jalapeno & cream cheese, wrap with bacon, and bbq..

Sounds tasty!

35rem
05-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Based on my experiences in Europe place a statue in you yard...4847

panhead
05-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Live down here in Tsawwassen and they are taking over here too. They are OK for a while but get to be too noisy. Pull any kind of gun out here and you are likely to face a SWAT team. Trap's seem like a good idea though ....

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

Fireworks – a frivolously fun, discretionary purchase you make when you have loose coins in your pockets and want to blow them up.