PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience storing water for horses?

Bigbullsh$tter
05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Just wondering if anybody has any experience with keeping water in storage barrels or tanks for their horses? If i could put a hunt together, i'd be looking at needing it stored for up to two months.

Thx

BBS

longstonec
05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Sterilized barrels with treated city water should be fine if kept out of the light. If you put a store bought H2O bottle in the closet in an earthquake kit... it would be fine to drink.

SingleShot
05-20-2013, 09:28 PM
How much water do you think you would need to store? Is collecting rain water an option? I know in some areas of the province you could collect 45 gallons in short order .

saddlemaker
05-20-2013, 09:50 PM
you heading into the desert??? Why would you need to store water for horses , just wondrering

Bigbullsh$tter
05-21-2013, 05:32 PM
you heading into the desert??? Why would you need to store water for horses , just wondrering

Not heading into the desert, i'm looking at hunting an area that will not have running water within 10kms from where i plan to hunt come the late fall.......so i was wondering if i brought in barrels of water at the end of August, would the water stay palatable enough for horses to drink into November. I heard outfitters fly in water to sheep camps for the horses before the season starts, but i also heard they add something to keep it from going stale.
Any ideas would be great.