PDA

View Full Version : Fawn distress for bears?

Fella
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Does anyone use a fawn distress call for bears? I've heard some guys do, some guys don't. Are they worth it?

Deeboe
05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Called in many a black bear with a blade of grass between my thumbs.

Fella
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
So if it sounds pathetic enough it works? Lol

Ozone
05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I have done it to bring the bear closer. Keep a eye out behind you also.

troutseeker
05-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I've use wabbit squeals, it worked.

gbear
05-20-2013, 12:44 PM
I've only tried it once. My advice is to be ready for fast paced excitement! I was alone when I tried it, and I don't think I would do that again. Almost instantly the bear turned and ran at me, followed by a second adult bear I hadn't seen behind some trees

Gateholio
05-20-2013, 01:06 PM
It can work really well, for sure.

Fella
05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I've tried a couple different hunting stores looking for fawn calls but all I've gotten are puzzled looks and "why would you want one of those" type comments.

Weatherby Fan
05-20-2013, 01:19 PM
K-meer deer call,fawn in distress,primos call,blade a grass they all work good

ThinAir
05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Just blow on the call and make it sound like something is having a really bad day.

Works so well, it can be scary actually. Always call where you won't be surprised from behind. As others have said, use your common sense.

srupp
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
used a rabbit in distress??dying rabbit predator call..on 2 occasions worked both times.

steven

BromBones
05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Best to do it where you can hunker down but still see behind you as well, & better to have someone with you for the extra eyes.

They can come in fast.

adamgarbett
05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Worked for me as well but I thought it was just a fluke......maby I should try it again??

Steeleco
05-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Bumped a bear on the weekend on the drive in to a cut clock. Got the call out and got him to come back. Just not close enough.

.330 Dakota
05-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Wow Guys, I have never had any frikin luck with that, and I have one or two in the truck at all times. I have seen grazing bears on the side of the road, stopped and wailed on the call and they didnt even look at me..I used the ruffy dog, and another no-name rabbit in distress call,,neither worked. Is it because I am in the truck,,are they smart enough to know its not real because the truck is sitting there? I havent tried it out while hunting yet.

RiverOtter
05-21-2013, 05:14 AM
I had a mid sized black boar put the stalk on a my pick-up on morning. Spotted him on the road, decided he wasn't what we were looking for, then pulled out the Carlton bear call and started honkin' on it. Bear instantly turned and slunk over the bank and disappeared, except for the odd glimpse as he moved through cover, and then popped up directly below us all sneaky like.

I thought it was funny, my passenger, not so much.....:-D

G.A.
05-21-2013, 05:42 AM
ive tried mine a few times..no luck yet..havent realy put the time in and sat for to long though, ive read if you dont spend about 45 min in 1 spot its kinda of a waste...just what ive read though
i have the primos coyote bear buster,

rcar
05-21-2013, 10:25 PM
I just spent 7 days bear hunting and tried a fawn distress call a lot of times without any luck. I was hunting 3500 ft. with a fairly new grass growth. Was told by a fellow member last year that he never found it to work on spring bears but thought I would try anyway as I was not having any luck as nothing I was doing was working anyway. As has been the case in past years, I ran into bears when and where I SHOULD have run into bears. The call was not effective for me.

I am thinking that later in the season when does are dropping fawns, a distress call will work. Kinda like matching the hatch, I think.

Chopper
05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Yup !!! the deer talk call ... I use the high pitch end , Stops them and calls them in. Cow elk in estrous is actually amazing as well , they will run right at you.

hunter1947
05-22-2013, 04:39 AM
A few years back when hunting for deer on Vancouver Island I called with the deer distress in an open slash not more then 5 min went by and here come a black bear out of the timber right to wards my call I had to wave my hands and yell at this bear so it would see me and know that I was not what this bear was looking for a dinner meal ,,I only used this call a couple times and it worked unbelievable..

boxhitch
05-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Fall success doesn't mean it works all the time.
Never had luck in the spring , but later when they have turned onto protein , it can work on the hungry ones.
Small bears are always looking out for bigger bears , so why would they run into a possible fight ?

HarryToolips
05-22-2013, 08:51 AM
All I know is I'm gonna try the blade of grass call in a treestand or on a open grassy hillside can't wait..

Weatherby Fan
05-22-2013, 09:16 AM
All I know is I'm gonna try the blade of grass call in a treestand or on a open grassy hillside can't wait..

I remember about 25 years ago my older brother and I were sitting in the alpine in late September and he starts blowing on a blade of grass and says he heard it works for deer......I have a good laugh and shake my head at him with a double eye roll......well not 2 minutes later a doe comes charging out of the bush blowing and stomping her feet,he called her within 20 yards of us and even after she seen us she was reluctant to leave.......as I pulled my size 11 out of my mouth.

Didn't call in any bears that trip but a month later in the same area he called a Grizzly in doing the same thing with a blade of grass so I know it works for bears !
WF

BCsniper
05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Just came across this thread. My wife and I went out bear hunting this weekend near Princeton. We saw a lot of atv traffic so we decided to quad a back road and get as far off as we could. We setup on a clear cut and began fawn bawling. Within 15 minutes, we had a couple of does come into 60-80 yards. Without a decoy they held up just out of range. About 15 minutes after that and trying to get the does to come in they both looked up and my wife said that they are fixed on something. Down off the hill comes a charging bear. At 125 yards I picked it up. At 90 yards I realized it was a grizzly. She had her bow and I grabbed the rifle as the deer busted back to the woods the grizzly followed the deer. It closed to 75 yards as it veered off. Needless to say it was one of those amazing experiences that will be a memory of a life time. Just wish we had the video camera running.

dana
05-22-2013, 07:54 PM
I've had lots of success with both fawn in distress calls and wounded rabbit calls. What I have found is they work way better on mature bears who have been around the block a few times and understand what those sounds actually mean to their predatory nature. Younger bears seem to show either no interest or are frightened off by the calling.
Here is a video my son filmed of my daughter and I and a bear we called in a few falls ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/th_BearCallnupload.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/BearCallnupload.mp4)

Fella
05-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Very cool dana! I'm excited to try this out on my trip next week.

bccanadian
04-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Cool video.

jtred
04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm looking forward to trying it this year. I've got a fawn call, cow elk call, and a couple of rabbit in distress calls that I'll be playing around with. May get out this coming weekend for a look around, check out some turkey spots and do some hiking with my rifle.

bccanadian
04-09-2014, 09:04 AM
I picked up a fawn call and a rabbit in distress as well. Now to learn how to do it convincingly.

Chopper
04-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Called in many a black bear with a blade of grass between my thumbs.

This actually works on bucks deep in the rut ... very effective

Guys will use flagging tape instead of grass ... I use a deer talk. Same sh*t different pile

Chopper
04-09-2014, 11:26 AM
I picked up a fawn call and a rabbit in distress as well. Now to learn how to do it convincingly.

Ya its easy ... WAIL ON IT !