PDA

View Full Version : Rookie black bear hunt

skuntor
05-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Had my first hunt (other that goose) yesterday. Headed up region 3 with a fellow rookie after an experienced guy jammed out. Drove lots, walked lots, stopped and glassed lots. Almost walked on a nice little cinnamon. He looked pretty small to me so I passed on him and we watched him walk away.
On the way out, at 8:00pm, we see this big boar up on a hillside. Glassed him and decided he was a big tasty one. Got out, got the model 99 loaded and he moved up a bit more. I had no cover and I'm still debating whacking him. Finally decided that light was getting too low and we didn't know what was around the hill he was on and were worried about losing him down a big ridge that was near. In the time it took me to think he scattered out of sight. AMAZING day. Even to be crouched with gun loaded debating to shoot or not was a huge rush. Totally hooked.
Explored some new territory, gained some experience, saw a couple nice looking bears, many deer, hot sunny... great day. Thanks for all the tips people have posted all over this site.

HarryToolips
05-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Good job passin on him at last light..if you did shoot and he ran off, I'd wait til the next day to go a lookin..happened to me last september, glad I waited cause you don't want to be lookin for a wounded bear in the dark..it is a blast good luck

Big Lew
05-20-2013, 09:30 AM
I commend you on your restraint. A lot of rookies would have allowed their excitement to run amuck and either shot the small one, or shot at the other one without considering the possible consequences. Also, although you identified him as a 'big boar on a hillside' even experienced hunters sometimes have difficulty determining a bear's sex, so if it was getting dark, sometimes there could be unseen cubs nearby. Glad you had a good time, and waited for the 'right time'.

skuntor
05-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Yes, I was educated guessing boar based on the massive melon and big gut on him.