PDA

View Full Version : squamish fsr tragedy

DLP
05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
just got back from scouting up the squamish and elaho valley. tons of campers and douchebags shooting right off the road.

anyway, its not on the news yet but 3 guys in a truck drove off a cliff into the elaho about 100' fall about one mile from the turn off, 43 miles in. i had to inadvertantly break the news to their fellow campers after CO's closed off the road and we came upon people on foot looking for their missing friends, we were the second people to come upon the accident. 3 helicopters and two ambulances were there attempting a rescue. we dont know what the result was but from the look on their faces and the nonpanic, i dont have a good feeling, hope not.

TheProvider
05-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Sad to hear. Alot of bad parts in the roads when your not used to it. Condolences to the family and friends.

BearSupreme
05-19-2013, 09:27 PM
I hate to hear this. Ive gone off the road once when I wasnt paying attention, got stuck and got pulled out. A couple of times ive almost gone off in really bad spots, but have been lucky. I wish those guys the best.

The Silent Stalker
05-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Sad, condolences to the families. It's getting a little crazy out there these days with weekend warriors, not saying these guys were up to no good but I try to avoid being up there on the weekends.

fishingguy44
05-19-2013, 09:59 PM
I feel bad and hate to say it but a part of me wants to say that it was more than just not paying attention that caused this accident. sad none the less

adriaticum
05-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I feel bad and hate to say it but a part of me wants to say that it was more than just not paying attention that caused this accident. sad none the less

Did you end up going to Squamish?
I was tempted to take you up on your offer but have a lot of work to do.

fishingguy44
05-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Did you end up going to Squamish?
I was tempted to take you up on your offer but have a lot of work to do.
I went to Boston Bar. saw a few bears, but ill share my story on a thread so i dont get this one off track. shoulda come though, ran into only 1 other group

lovemywinchester
05-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Sad news. I heard the Coroner in Kamloops today was at 4 calls already TODAY. May 24 is a tough one. I lived in Squampton for years, very sad to hear.

One Shot
05-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Very sad news indeed. Alcohol fueled most likely. Hopefully some good will come of it if others learn from it. Every long weekend some one gets hurt up there. A number of years ago when visiting up here, I went up there with a friend there was another fatal drive off in the same area.

russm
05-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Had a buddy go up there yesterday, I sent him a text to see if he'd seen any bears and never heard back :s ........

DLP
05-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Is this the accident?

http://www.theprovince.com/news/critically+injured+after+vehicle+plunges+down+foot/8408025/story.html

sure looks like it.
all i can say is we were ddging speeders all day on that road. peopple taking way too many chances and in little cars also. i'd like to know facts of this incident before i judge. but....

DLP
05-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Had a buddy go up there yesterday, I sent him a text to see if he'd seen any bears and never heard back :s ........

i dont believe they were hunters. their group looked like hipster campers just partying, i could be wrong.

Sofa King
05-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Sad news. I heard the Coroner in Kamloops today was at 4 calls already TODAY. May 24 is a tough one. I lived in Squampton for years, very sad to hear.

what calender are you using?

Sofa King
05-20-2013, 12:43 AM
sure looks like it.
all i can say is we were ddging speeders all day on that road. peopple taking way too many chances and in little cars also. i'd like to know facts of this incident before i judge. but....

what's to judge?
you don't drive off a cliff if you're driving cautiously.
they had to at least be not paying attention, and maybe even speeding.
given the long weekend, there's also always that chance that alcohol was involved.

they were damn lucky the truck/suv landed ass-first.
probably the reason they survived.
the impact would still be pretty severe regardless.
it's pretty amazing that none died at the scene.

frenchbar
05-20-2013, 06:25 AM
what's to judge?
given the long weekend, there's also always that chance that alcohol was involved.

maybe the driver had a heart attack ... you sure seem to know it all ..but realy you know nothing ...

Blainer
05-20-2013, 06:33 AM
maybe the driver had a heart attack ... you sure seem to know it all ..but realy you know nothing ...or possibly a tire or two blew out. Lot's of potential scenario's to consider before passing judgement.
But, this is HBC.

TheProvider
05-20-2013, 07:13 AM
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/image-1_zps266ad5a0.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/mikesmith7/media/image-1_zps266ad5a0.jpg.html)

Investigators are looking to find out what caused a truck to lose control, hit a tree and crash over a cliff in Squamish.

The accident happened yesterday afternoon along the Squamish Valley Forest Service Road, just west of Alice Lake off the Sea to Sky Highway.

Two air ambulances and ground rescue crews responded to the scene.

Three people were taken to Vancouver General Hospital with two victims in critical condition.

The condition of the third person isn’t known.

No other vehicles were involved.

© Shaw Media, 2013

Cops said it fell 100-150ft and landed box first.

This is the scenario that always kept me cautious on SWBC steep back road trails.

r106
05-20-2013, 07:57 AM

A lot of people refer to the May long weekend as May 24th weekend because it usually lands on or around the 24th

what's to judge?

There are lots of scenarios that could have happened to cause that accident. Maybe the were run off the road by someone else? Although alcohol was most likely a factor but we don't know. You are quick to blame from the comfort of your home. Those kids are dam lucky to be alive

HarryToolips
05-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Hope they'll be OK

brian
05-20-2013, 09:42 AM

Its not pronounced May 24th long weekend, it is May 2-4 you know slang for a flat o beer on a long weekend legendary for camping and imbibing that happens to often fall on May 24th.

One Shot
05-20-2013, 05:18 PM
I know the location well. It is a very long drop down and very close to the road at that point there, right at the edge of the road in fact. Actually there is a tree laid down at the edge of the road/drop off to act as a curb for part of it. I hope the guys will be okay.

russm
05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
My buddy that was up there just sent me a photo of it, said "there was skid marks for miles before where they went off" so safe to say booze and speed.

slyfox
05-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Lets say real lucky guys to be still alive was up there yesterday bear hunting saw the area were the truck went down long way down and the river was holding a lot of water.

solo
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
Anyone have an update on how these guys are doing?

frenchbar
05-21-2013, 04:24 PM
My buddy that was up there just sent me a photo of it, said "there was skid marks for miles before where they went off" so safe to say booze and speed. i woke up sat morning with skidmarks for miles on my gonch... is it safe to say it was booze and tainted chinese food...:???:

604redneck
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
i woke up sat morning with skidmarks for miles on my gonch... is it safe to say it was booze and tainted chinese food...:???:ya i think thats a safe bet frenchbar lol

jhausner
05-27-2013, 02:16 AM
Victoria Day has been the 24th of may exactly 5 times in the last 33 years... If that qualifies as too often...

Any update on their condition? I would bet speed did play a factor. I see soo many people drive too fast on FSRs. I had a buddy slide an all wheel drive car off an FSR with off road tires doing 20kph so it is so easy for a pickup doing even 30 to hit a slide and lose control. That is why I puts along on FSRs. I'd rather take 30 minutes longer to get somewhere then to never get there ever. Same on atvs. People don't respect how easy it is to lose control on gravel roads and no amount of experience can counter physics.

Even if this is all alcohol and stupidity, still a lesson for us all to respect the back country and be cautious so that we can make it home safe to our loved ones at the end of our trips. I still have buddies that scoff when I stick on my camo life jacket over my gear when I get on our little hunting boat up north. I then remind them that with all our gear on if the rare happens and we flip the boat or fall in, that I will have the misfortune of informing their wives of their deaths. Takes 1 mistake.

drewsky
05-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Very well said my friend! I want to live to hunt and fish another day with my boys! Important to brand the safety into everything we do.