PDA

View Full Version : Kettle Valley Rail Trail - Coquihalla to Princeton in Region 8

One Shot
05-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I am not totally familiar with the Kettle Valley Trail system. I know that I have seen ATVs on sections of the trail in Region 8 at times. I have not read the signage as I was in the truck. The question is can ATVs be used on the trail sections from the Coquihalla highway through Tulameen and through to Princton?

Thank you

Steeleco
05-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Just spent the weekend in Tulamean, sure was lots of folks using the KVR in all sorts of places. Can't say it's legal, but it sure is popular!

Fraink
05-20-2013, 09:18 PM
There are sections where it is allowed, McCullough towards Beaverdell is one area for sure. I believe Tullameen is another, I have seen quads pull up to the bar in Comont.

Iron Glove
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Just spent the weekend in Tulamean, sure was lots of folks using the KVR in all sorts of places. Can't say it's legal, but it sure is popular!

Pulled up at our Tulameen cabin Saturday AM and the dirt road in front of our place had 4 trucks, three quad trailers and one huge enclosed trailer along with an assortment of dirt bikes, quads and UTV'v. Turns out our neighbour offered his place out to two different groups for the weekend forgeting that he had offered it to the other group.
Damn I hate almost getting run down by 6 year olds on quads in the middle of the street.
:wink: Sure is quiet tonight tho'. :)
To the original question, you can ride your quad all the way from the Coq. to Princeton on the KVR. Princeton will probably soon nix riding on the section of the KVR that goes through town tho'.

steel_ram
05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Tulameen is a nut house throughout the summer. I was almost hit by a kid racing his motor bike on the East side of Otter Lk. while I was out for a morning jog. There is not supposed to be motorized vehicles on the KVR trail according to the signs, but the yahoo's are on there tearing it up anyway, side hilling and going off trail all over the place. Signage gets ripped down as fast as it is put up. Perhaps the authorities have given up?

Iron Glove
05-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Tulameen is a nut house throughout the summer. I was almost hit by a kid racing his motor bike on the East side of Otter Lk. while I was out for a morning jog. There is not supposed to be motorized vehicles on the KVR trail according to the signs, but the yahoo's are on there tearing it up anyway, side hilling and going off trail all over the place. Signage gets ripped down as fast as it is put up. Perhaps the authorities have given up?

Problem with the KVR is that there were numerous groups that took on the responsibility for the use and maintenance of it and different area wanted different rules for user groups. Much of the signage was simply that - signage with no authority to restrict access. It's all coming together soon under one "group" and there has been efforts made by some ( bicyclists, hikers, etc. ) to restrict the access to non motorized users. It's causing a lot of trouble.
As usual, it's the very small group of idiots that will utimately ruin it for the ATV'ers.
We bike, hike and ATV the KVR in the Tulameen area pretty well year round and would hate to see it limited to non motorized access only.
Yes, there is a large number of idiots riding their vehicles in town ( illegally ) and every now and then the RCMP come up and hand out tickets. generally to the ones tearing down the middle of the road, no helmets, drinking, entire family hanging on crowd. I've rode slowly on the road shoulder, helmet on, to the store for gas and the RCMP simply wave.
If you jog on the KVR, carry a big rock and when some quad idiot comes roaring up, toss the rock around in your hands, they get the message pretty quick.

One Shot
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Iron Glove, Thanks for your comments. Pretty well confirms what I have been reading. It seems that the Prov is trying to keep it open for all users. We bought a new Can Am Outlander Max XT today, so the wife and myself will head up that way for 4 days to camp and play with it this weekend.

Steeleco
05-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Then treat yourself to one of the FSR roads just north of town. Lots of deer and more to see than the dust of the KVR. There's not snow to speak of up top, was chasing a bear around one hill at 4800' early Sat AM. Was all alone, just me the kids and that elusive bear!!

Iron Glove
05-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Then treat yourself to one of the FSR roads just north of town. Lots of deer and more to see than the dust of the KVR. There's not snow to speak of up top, was chasing a bear around one hill at 4800' early Sat AM. Was all alone, just me the kids and that elusive bear!!

Hoping to get out this Fri or Sat with the kid to look for a bear. Probably hit some of those "North of Town" spots. :wink: Just picked him up a new Savage 270 so off to the Otter valley range then into the hills.
All depending on the weather of course - today was a damn monsoon. :cry:

One Shot
05-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Hoping to get out this Fri or Sat with the kid to look for a bear. Probably hit some of those "North of Town" spots. :wink: Just picked him up a new Savage 270 so off to the Otter valley range then into the hills.
All depending on the weather of course - today was a damn monsoon. :cry:

Maybe see you around up there............

HikerHunter
08-16-2020, 10:37 AM
this may sound crazy, but theres a section of the kettle valley trail that goes through a good chunk of the bush, would i be able to hunt from this trail? i could hunt from the services roads up on either side legally so then why not down there? keeping in mind of course where my bullet is going and beyond.

REMINGTON JIM
08-17-2020, 05:19 PM

Perhaps the authorities Really NEED to do a Better Job of ENFORCEMENT ! RJ

Iron Glove
08-17-2020, 05:47 PM
Perhaps the authorities Really NEED to do a Better Job of ENFORCEMENT ! RJ

The comment that "motorized vehicles" are not allowed on that section of the KVR is totally incorrect.
They are allowed on quite a large section of the KVR both North and South of Tulameen. You can legally ride from the Britton Creek staging area to the Princeton Subway if you desired.
Yes, Tulameen can be a zoo at times with Quads and Bikes tearing around on the KVR and through Town but the vast majority of operators are law abiding, safe folks.
There has recently been a big push by the RCMP and other authorities to crack down on the idiot fringe, to ensure the vehicles are properly liscenced and that the requisite operating permits, where required are carried.
It's so hot here today that not even the idiots are out on the Trail. :smile:

BC Cruiser
08-17-2020, 11:11 PM
Not sure if this was shared before but I’m pretty sure this failing bridge north of Tulameen Has been removed. Closing one section off.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7216566/trestle-unsafe-kettle-valley-rail-trail/amp/

Iron Glove
08-18-2020, 10:02 AM
Not sure if this was shared before but I’m pretty sure this failing bridge north of Tulameen Has been removed. Closing one section off.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7216566/trestle-unsafe-kettle-valley-rail-trail/amp/

Yes, there is now a "detour" route around it.

HikerHunter
08-18-2020, 05:31 PM
this may sound crazy, but theres a section of the kettle valley trail that goes through a good chunk of the bush, would i be able to hunt from this trail? i could hunt from the services roads up on either side legally so then why not down there? keeping in mind of course where my bullet is going and beyond. still looking for a second opinion on this idea.

Iron Glove
08-18-2020, 08:39 PM
What areas are you thinking of? A lot of the KVR passes thru farm / range / private land.
Are you asking about actually hunting on the Trail or just using it to access hunting areas ?

HikerHunter
08-18-2020, 09:07 PM
actually hunting on the trail through a section north of tulameen.

Iron Glove
08-18-2020, 10:02 PM
actually hunting on the trail through a section north of tulameen.

OK, the "ownership" of the KVR has gone through a lot of changes, I'll have to dig around to see if I can find anything. If it fell under the jurisdiction of Recreation Sites and Trails, which it doesn't appear to be, there would be the "No discharge of Firearms" rule applicable. I just got home from the Tulameen Cabin this morning, I'll ask next trip up if anyone knows. Much of the trail North of Tulameen cuts through Private Land so even if you could legally hunt on the Trail it would be virtually impossible to retrieve your game unless it dropped dead right on the trail, otherwise you'd be tracking through some one's property.

HikerHunter
08-19-2020, 10:30 AM
alright. well the chunk im looking at appears to be free of private property. i would totally understand the "no discharge of firearms" though if its a recreational trail. Thanks for looking into it for me! mainly just looking for grouse anyways.