PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Fly Fishing?

Surrey Boy
05-17-2013, 08:16 PM
A number of workmates fly-fish and have suggested I start, for various reasons. Spincasting has worked well enough for me recently, baitfishing and jigging before that. I have some questions about it:

How easy is it to learn?

Is it really more productive?

Is it more fun when playing your fish?

At what point will the wind shut me down?

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

igojuone
05-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Went to a fly fishing how-to last weekend and one of the hard core guys mentioned that he likes and recommends fishing with a floating line set up and how only 20% of a fishes diet is on the surface. So only 20% vs 80% but he finds the thrill in seeing the strike.f
Sounds like a lot more work but maybe more exciting. Seems like many fly fishermen have multiply set ups for different fish and the hard core ones like to tie flies on the spot depending on what fish are feeding on that day.

longstonec
05-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Easy to learn, even easier if you have somebody teach you so you dont teach yourself bad habits. lots of practicing... which is fun, helps lots.

More productive...? depends on the fishy. IMHO

I usually stop fly fishing when the wind makes the fly start drilling me in the face or back of the head.

If you happen to be around this neck of the woods. let me know.

C

adriaticum
05-17-2013, 08:55 PM
The age old question.
Fly fishing is a much more focused game.
You can't fish for as many fish as with gear fishing in as many different conditions as gear fishing.
But it can be a lot of fun. It's hard to say if it's more fun but among those who have done both I'd say higher percentage prefers fly fishing.
I am a beginner fly and experienced gear and bait fisherman.
I prefer gear and bait because it gives me a wider range of opportunities to fish.
With fly fishing you are always concerned about back casting room and you can't fish for all types of fish, wind.
I'd say try everything and you will be the best judge of it.
I would say that it isn't more productive than bait fishing.
It's much easier for a beginner to catch fish with bait than on the fly.

Surrey Boy
05-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I mostly fish the Peace River, it's tributaries, and lakes in the area. Pike and various trout would be my target fish. I'd like to try whitefish and grayling, last year on the Sikanni I got skunked after putting in a good amount of time and effort.

How well does a fly work at night?

adriaticum
05-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I mostly fish the Peace River, it's tributaries, and lakes in the area. Pike and various trout would be my target fish. I'd like to try whitefish and grayling, last year on the Sikanni I got skunked after putting in a good amount of time and effort.

I'm not sure you can fish at night legally.
The best thing is to find someone local to take you out and show you the ropes.
It will cut your learning time substantially.

hunter1993ap
05-17-2013, 09:33 PM

I think fishing for pike you will be more successful using gear. I switched over to fly fishing about three years ago, and my success rate went way up. I took it really serious and learned as much as I could and still learn new things every day on the water. where fish feed mainly on bugs and not other fish, fly fishing is the way to go. but when fish key on other fish, gear fishing I find more productive. I enjoy fighting fish on a fly rod but it took some getting used to. Easy to learn? I would say not. deffinately takes some time. as for wind I have fished some pretty windy days. you can still troll flies just like gear when its really windy. I have been in two and a half foot chop with my belly boat and had a blast, fishing was good and got about as good of a workout as going for a hike!

Big Lew
05-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Unless fishing in a some parks where waters are closed from 2 hrs. after sunset to 1 hr. before sunrise, I've not seen any restrictions regarding fly fishing at night unless using an artificial light. Many fly fishing persons have some of their best fishing by moonlight for large trout during the hot summer doldrums.

albravo2
05-17-2013, 09:57 PM
personally, i've had more success and more enjoyment with a fly, except for salmon but i'm looking forward to that too.

i think it is hard to compare the learning curve because lots of people that have been spincasting for years don't have any idea how to effectively spincast.

if you are a good fisherman i think you will learn to use a flyrod pretty quickly.

i love it and recommend it.

Jack Russell
05-17-2013, 10:12 PM
A number of workmates fly-fish and have suggested I start, for various reasons. Spincasting has worked well enough for me recently, baitfishing and jigging before that. I have some questions about it:

How easy is it to learn?

Is it really more productive?

Is it more fun when playing your fish?

At what point will the wind shut me down?

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

1. Yes it isn't that hard. Todays rods and line match up well, there's plenty of instruction available if needed, and there's plenty of info on the internet (youtube) to offer demonstrations and information. If you're in a boat or pontoon/belly boat, you don't need to cast far.

2. Fishing a fly can be much more productive, no doubt about it. You can suspend a fly that is as natural looking as the real thing, in the zone where the fish are, for a longer duration than a spinner, jig etc. But thats not why you want to fly fish. Fly fishing offers a greater experience, can involve you more, and make you study the water, fish and surroundings more while you look for clues as to what fly you need to catch fish. You begin to notice the martens feeding out in the middle of the lake, where there might be an underwater island or hump with a nice chironomid hatch.

3. You'll find that you will actually lose some interest in the fish fight. You will find the bite far more exciting, you will notice with more enthusiasm some of the less common antics of various fish as you hook more fish, and you'll notice the beauty of each fish just a little more. Having a trout pull line time and again actually becomes a bit repetitive, sometimes....

4. Wind. Not a big deal. I like a bit of a breeze on the water - makes a ripple that trout love and they can become more active, and competitive as a hatch increases intensity. The main thing with wind is obviously you don't want a hurricane, but you can work with a steady wind. You'll find breaks on the water from land points and you'll set up to use the wind to your advantage. That is unless it is a Thompson plateau "swirly"....those will drive you bonkers.

Fly fishing - its the next step in fishing, and a step in the evolution of an angler.

Steelwheels
05-17-2013, 10:21 PM
We had to get one of my fishing buddies to strap a bicycle rear flashing light to his tube so we could locate him from camp as he would be out till god knows when...
fly fishing for Coho is a real blast...

Gateholio
05-17-2013, 10:33 PM
First, you have to start only buying Grey Poupon mustard, and turning your nose up at anyone that dares suggest using gear to angle for fish. ;)

I used to fly fish but gave it up as I got more focused on other things like handloading and hunting. We all have only so much time and energy to dedicate to different hobbies, and I felt that enjoyed fishing more when I was just relaxing by floating around a lake throwing a spinner out while sipping on a beer than going to the extra effort of playing with different lines, flies and matching the hatch etc.

You can get whatever you want out of fishing and fly fishing is no exception. It all depends on what you want, as I don't see fly fishing as something you can just dabble in if you want to be truly successful. Thats anther thing that made me stop.

blackbart
05-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Google April Vokey if you really want to get into flyfishing.

Personally I would have to say, fish for fun and don't give a chit how (as long as it is legal).

ryanb
05-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Fly fishing is good fun. It is different that gear fishing in many ways. For most species I find it to be much more effective than gear fishing, when done properly...but not all.

The most important thing with fly fishing is getting some good instruction from some experienced people. Unlike gear fishing where you can just toss out a spinner or spoon and reel it in, and catch fish. Fly fishing is all about having the right fly for the right situation, presented in the right way. This can be real tough for a beginner to figure out on their own, but with some experienced instruction isn't particularly difficult.

So with that said, if you don't have some experienced fly fishing friends to teach you...paying a guide for some instruction is a worthwhile investment.

Sofa King
05-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Google April Vokey if you really want to get into flyfishing.

Personally I would have to say, fish for fun and don't give a chit how (as long as it is legal).

april fishes?
i'll have to watch some of those vids again, i musta missed that.

Sofa King
05-17-2013, 11:40 PM
opie, definitely give flyfishing a try.
it's another tool to add to your arsenal.
i find i always go to the flyrod first.
i always take my other rods on shuswap and never ever even get to them.

plus, the fight is a million times better on a fly set-up.
pike is over-rated.
it's fun to do, to scratch it off the list, but it takes way too long to fight them.
grayling are a blast on the flyrod.

i hate the elitist attitude that there is with many flyfisherman.
it's just another tool to use in the pursuit of fish.

longstonec
05-18-2013, 12:34 AM
First, you have to start only buying Grey Poupon mustard, and turning your nose up at anyone that dares suggest using gear to angle for fish. ;)

I used to fly fish but gave it up as I got more focused on other things like handloading and hunting. We all have only so much time and energy to dedicate to different hobbies, and I felt that enjoyed fishing more when I was just relaxing by floating around a lake throwing a spinner out while sipping on a beer than going to the extra effort of playing with different lines, flies and matching the hatch etc.

You can get whatever you want out of fishing and fly fishing is no exception. It all depends on what you want, as I don't see fly fishing as something you can just dabble in if you want to be truly successful. Thats anther thing that made me stop.

Very eloquent personal perspective on fly tossin. Agreed.

yakideath12
05-18-2013, 12:38 AM
if you are urgent to learn

let me know anytime
:-D
you can try out first on grass field with my rod first.

yakideath12
05-18-2013, 12:39 AM
I prefer one fish on fly rod than 10 fish on gear rod

Gateholio
05-18-2013, 07:30 AM
I prefer to catch fish when I go fishing. :)

Casagrande
05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
"I felt that enjoyed fishing more when I was just relaxing by floating around a lake throwing a spinner out while sipping on a beer than going to the extra effort of playing with different lines, flies and matching the hatch etc. "

And then you just dropped the rod altogether!

russm
05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Just don't turn into one of the guys that shows up at the river where there's enough room for a FEW people and whip out the fly rod thinking you own the river, had that happen a few times its really frustrating.

TheProvider
05-18-2013, 08:24 AM
I bought all the gear a couple years ago. I always wanted to get into not for the fishing but also making flies. So there after I had had two daughters. I never fish as much as I want to and whenever I go fishing the kids are always with me. Ended up selling all my gear. I would love to fly fish and fish more but plain an simple when I am not with my family I devote my time to bowhunting, shed hunting and running trail cams.

When I was learning and reading lots of books and magazines. I found it interesting how many articles and books stated that fly fishing was a conservation sport and all fish should be released.

When I fish I spend most the time trying to get my kids and gf to catch a fish. And damn sure the fish are going to get eaten.

Good luck with your fly fishing

TheProvider
05-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Just don't turn into one of the guys that shows up at the river where there's enough room for a FEW people and whip out the fly rod thinking you own the river, had that happen a few times its really frustrating.

Amen

Was fishing with family and a fly fishers came and started right beside us. I have to young kids so to make sure they accidentally didnt get hit I moved us down a little. We would move and so would they to the point where we had moved down a 100yrds and we then returned to our original spot only to have them start moving up river towards us again

time

Big Lew
05-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Since being introduced to fly fishing by my Dad when I was 14, it's been my favourite method of fishing. I enjoy the challenge of matching a fly to what the fish are eating at the time because if you're correct the fishing can be spectacular, especially if you're lucky enough to catch them feeding on the surface. I am by no means an elitist though because I also enjoy spin casting and trolling depending on the circumstances. Many people do very well bait fishing from shore, but unless fishing the Fraser for salmon, I've not done well personally, probably because of lack of patience.

horshur
05-18-2013, 08:58 AM
fly fishing is simpler then tackle....with kids the wet line fly rod trolled behind a boat or canoe with an attractor pattern such as a doc spratley is very effective. I have found I spend way less time untangling line with the fly rods as opposed to spinners......casting with kids is a bit dangerous all around my kids have been slow getting the hang of any type of casting...there is more then one fishing day where dad has lost it packing the kids up and headed home stopping by the beer store on the way after spending too much of the day dealing with rat nests.

a six weight rod with two spools one holding a intermediate sinking line another with a dry line. A handful of wet flies and a few deerhairs for the dry line you are good to go. It really is only a small step up from a willow pole with bug or worm...

The Hermit
05-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Fly fishing is kinda like traditional archery, whereas spin and gear fishing is more like compound bow and rifle hunting.

If you just want to catch fish stick with gear and spin casting. If you want to learn a whole new approach, learn about the hatch, how to cast in different conditions and situations (lake vs rivers vs streams), learn to read the water, learn to "hunt" a specific fish, and are ready to spend a whole lot of time and money on how to do this stuff then fly fishing might be your next addiction.

Personally, I love the idea of fly fishing and bought most of the gear and I've taken a few lessons. Alas, have not spent time practicing and therefore I completely suck at casting, have only the most rudimentary understanding of the biology of bugs and have no real life experience in figuring out WTF is going on. I don't "see" the fish in the rivers very well and don't much care for bobbing around the lake in the stupid little doughnut float tube (seems really hard to cast when that close to the water).

So it is what it is... go enjoy the delights of each, after all no one said you have to restrict yourself to one way of doing things... anyone can pick up a compound bow and learn to shoot pretty quick.

Gateholio
05-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Fly fishing is kinda like traditional archery, whereas spin and gear fishing is more like compound bow and rifle hunting.

I always thought it was the opposite. Fly fishing has way more gear and gizmos, like a compound bow. Spools, different lines, boxes of flies for every situation etc etc, it can go on forever Just getting geared up and learning what is for what is a big exercise. Spinning you just get a rod and reel and a handful of lures and you are good to go.

Big Lew
05-18-2013, 09:51 AM
I always thought it was the opposite. Fly fishing has way more gear and gizmos, like a compound bow. Spools, different lines, boxes of flies for every situation etc etc, it can go on forever Just getting geared up and learning what is for what is a big exercise. Spinning you just get a rod and reel and a handful of lures and you are good to go.

You're sure right on that account! Over the years I've accumulated literally $1000's of flies, and that's not counting the numerous fly rods, many fly reels (with extra spools) and about a dozen fly lines, each for fishing under different conditions. Over the last several years, it's been even more expensive because I have arthritis in my hands and can't easily tie my own any more. Have never been able to pass up buying more flies even though I really have all I need.:wink:

Sofa King
05-18-2013, 10:52 AM

indeed.

but i find the flyrod will way outproduce a trolling rod or casting rod and spinner.
depending on what i'm fishing for. and even if it were to be more effective, there's times when i'd prefer not to use a flyrod.
pretty much any lakes, i go to the flyrod first. same with creeks.
but with rivers, i prefer to avoid all the work of the flyrod and would rather cast a spoon or spinner.
fish like pike, lakers, and salmon, i'd rather catch on a sturdy rod and reel.

and one doesn't have to get into all the "finer aspects" of flyfishing.
there's no need to tie your own flies.
one doesn't have to even become the best and farthest caster.
but it's a deadly choice when trolling a sinking line behind the boat, or flipping a sedge out in the evening on a small mountain lake.

goatdancer
05-18-2013, 02:59 PM
indeed.

but i find the flyrod will way outproduce a trolling rod or casting rod and spinner.
depending on what i'm fishing for. and even if it were to be more effective, there's times when i'd prefer not to use a flyrod.
pretty much any lakes, i go to the flyrod first. same with creeks.
but with rivers, i prefer to avoid all the work of the flyrod and would rather cast a spoon or spinner.
fish like pike, lakers, and salmon, i'd rather catch on a sturdy rod and reel.

and one doesn't have to get into all the "finer aspects" of flyfishing.
there's no need to tie your own flies.
one doesn't have to even become the best and farthest caster.
but it's a deadly choice when trolling a sinking line behind the boat, or flipping a sedge out in the evening on a small mountain lake.

But what would be the point of not tying your own flies? One would not experience the true cost of fishing. By the time you buy all the tools and hooks and feathers etc., you get to see that it's cheaper to buy than tie. However, the feeling you get when you catch your first fish on your own tied fly is beyond description. Tying your own gives you the ability to experiment and try something a little different. It might surprise you with the results. If you tie enough, the cost will become justafiable. And if you have any friends, they will truly appreciate the gifts you tie.

Wild one
05-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Fly fishing is not difficult to learn just remember it is about rhythm and form not force. If you can get an experienced fly fisher to watch you cast and adjust your mistakes it is a big help. I find a 5-7 wt rod a good choice to start with

It is not more productive it is just another form of fishing at times it is the better method other times it is not.

I do find the fight more fun but it depends on the size of fishing according to the wt of the fly rod

Wind issues depend on the fishermen and the gear you are using light WT rod casting dry flies will be tougher to cast then a heavier wt rod with heavy streamers

In my opinion tying flies well worth it and rewarding. You get the benefit of being able to make fly patterns you cannot buy and the satisfaction of catching a fish on something you created.

adriaticum
05-18-2013, 04:00 PM

I think he means it's harder to catch your quarry.
It's takes more experience to be good at it.
There are enough toys for every aspect of fishing.

Steelwheels
05-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Your tying bench will need to have three times the storage as your reloading bench...

Big Lew
05-18-2013, 08:02 PM
" And if you have any friends, they will truly appreciate the gifts you tie."

I had a very good friend, Charlie Miller. He was actually like another grandfather to me. He was an old school fly fisherman and a master at the art of casting while always using high quality split cane rods. He taught me the fine points of casting, and how to tie flies while we fished daily below Ruskin Dam every spring, and on trips to the Interior. Although I supplied the 4x4 truck to carry our gear into the tough spots, there was no other way I could repay him for all his tutoring and friendship until I started tying special minnow flies that looked exactly like live ones through their various stages from egg sac to quite large. Each one was tied from duck feathers and then had several paint applications, taking close to an hr. to complete. I would tie them for him in his later years which gave me great pleasure, and he was very appreciative as well. I took him, along with one of his grandsons, a close school buddy of mine, into Plateau Lake in about 1970, and the smallest trout of the scores caught was 2 3/4 lbs, most being 3 1/2 to 8 lbs. and all on flies he tied specially for that lake at the time. Not much tops fly fishing memories like that trip.

The Hermit
05-18-2013, 11:16 PM

If you just want to catch fish stick with gear and spin casting. If you want to learn a whole new approach, learn about the hatch, how to cast in different conditions and situations (lake vs rivers vs streams), learn to read the water, learn to "hunt" a specific fish, and are ready to spend a whole lot of time and money on how to do this stuff then fly fishing might be your next addiction.

I think he means it's harder to catch your quarry.
It's takes more experience to be good at it.
There are enough toys for every aspect of fishing.

YEP you got it.

ruger#1
05-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Your tying bench will need to have three times the storage as your reloading bench... Thats why I have two benches. I bought my first kit when I was 16. It has grown like weeds. I haven't tied for a couple of years. Then I will get bored and tie up a couple hundred until I get bored again. I like useing the lite stuff. I have 3WT rods up to 8WT. I use the 3WT 95% of the time.

aggiehunter
05-20-2013, 09:55 PM
actually Gate makes a good point...beer drinking and flyfishing really don't mix....that's why I flyfish...theres lots of time for beer drinking on those other days...like killing a deer with a wood arrow...catching a steelhead on a fly you made yourself is very satisfying...and to boot it is quite easy..you seem concerned with the wind..as I am..it's pretty windy in the area I live so I have been using an 8 weight rod for many years...what you need to do is not worry about wearing the patagonia shirt and the uptodate clothing...if you see guys tying flies on the water..well...thats' time away from fishing isn't it....I've seen them doing it and it looks like they are doing it for the crowd watching and not the fish...you need about 6 good patterns and your off to the races....give' er....

greenhorn
05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
If you want to get into I'd go for it. If your interest remains, it can be a really interesting and rewarding outdoors hobby. If you start fishing rivers or temperamental lakes you'll eventually learn about the life cycle of fish food and study how to read water etc. All of that knowledge will serve you well and if you decide to go back to bait, you'll be no worse off.

I do my best not to be snobby about it but I do believe that the average fly person is more skilled than your average gear person.

Hopefully you have a friend that is knowledgeable that can get you started.

It is kinda gear intensive though and if you become hooked on fly fishing you'll soon own a tonne more gear!!

Sofa King
05-20-2013, 10:49 PM
But what would be the point of not tying your own flies? One would not experience the true cost of fishing. By the time you buy all the tools and hooks and feathers etc., you get to see that it's cheaper to buy than tie. However, the feeling you get when you catch your first fish on your own tied fly is beyond description. Tying your own gives you the ability to experiment and try something a little different. It might surprise you with the results. If you tie enough, the cost will become justafiable. And if you have any friends, they will truly appreciate the gifts you tie.

oh, very true.
i make my own lures, carving plugs and making my own versions of weddingband-style lures, and there's nothing more satisfying than experiencing something you created being successful.
but i really wouldn't have the time or patience for fly-tying.
i've considered it, but i already have too many hobbies that have been backburnered.
and he's not even sure if he truly wants to even try flyfishing, let alone flytying.

steel_ram
05-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Getting hooked on fly tying is very expensive. :oops: Two bucks here, five bucks there adds up. To do it again, I'd just buy flies.

Steelwheels
05-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Old saying... "Shitty Carpenter who Blames his Tools"

Gateholio
05-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Old saying... "Shitty Carpenter who Blames his Tools"

It's not that I didn't catch fish with fly fishing. I was responding the the post that said he preferred 1 fish on a fly to 10 on gear. I was saying that I wasn't so picky in method of angling.

Gateholio
05-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Getting hooked on fly tying is very expensive. :oops: Two bucks here, five bucks there adds up. To do it again, I'd just buy flies.

Like handloading. :)

Steelwheels
05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
It's not that I didn't catch fish with fly fishing. I was responding the the post that said he preferred 1 fish on a fly to 10 on gear. I was saying that I wasn't so picky in method of angling.

I somewhat agree... Most of my fishing is catch and release.. So a multiple fish day would be a bonus..

Iron Glove
05-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Like handloading. :)

I hand load my wife's 243, she used to "hand load" my Tom Thumbs.
Now her eye sight ain't what it was so I'm back to Berry's Bait fly sales. :-D

Big Lew
05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I somewhat agree... Most of my fishing is catch and release.. So a multiple fish day would be a bonus..

My sentiments as well. Other than salmon, about the only fish I don't release is the one that's 'out of water and into the fry pan'

goatdancer
05-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I hand load my wife's 243, she used to "hand load" my Tom Thumbs.
Now her eye sight ain't what it was so I'm back to Berry's Bait fly sales. :-D

Reading glasses come in all kinds of strengths.........

ruger#1
05-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Witch is more expensive. Golf Or fly fishing. I would rather fly fish. It is more relaxing and you get out in the fresh air. My best fly fishing experience is in the summer time out on the water at midnight. Dry fly and fish hitting the fly hard. My father had stayed at camp. He asked why we stayed out that late. On the last day he came out with us and soon figured out why. He had the time of his life. He is in his seventies and would rather fly fish then golf.

zogg54
05-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Doesn't matter whether you are catching with gear, or on the fly, ff the regs state that you must release a caught fish you must release it. This is the case for most (not all) BC rivers.
I've always found fly fishing to be way more productive than gear fishing however, I have ventured into some gear fishing with some success lately. All fishing is fun. I'm always surprised to find hunters that don't fish as I just figured every outdoorsy types did so.
Get berries in berry season, get game in game season, get mushrooms in mushroom season and always bring a fly rod with you all seasons.

Sofa King
05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Doesn't matter whether you are catching with gear, or on the fly, ff the regs state that you must release a caught fish you must release it. This is the case for most (not all) BC rivers.
I've always found fly fishing to be way more productive than gear fishing however, I have ventured into some gear fishing with some success lately. All fishing is fun. I'm always surprised to find hunters that don't fish as I just figured every outdoorsy types did so.
Get berries in berry season, get game in game season, get mushrooms in mushroom season and always bring a fly rod with you all seasons.

to us hardcore outdoorsy types, they just go hand-in-hand.
but i know tons of fisherman, and hardcore fisherman, who have never hunted and have no desire at all to.
the best is doing a fly-in to a lake for hunting, and relaxing in the evenings catching fish that rarely see a hook.

Sofa King
05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Witch is more expensive. Golf Or fly fishing. I would rather fly fish. It is more relaxing and you get out in the fresh air. My best fly fishing experience is in the summer time out on the water at midnight. Dry fly and fish hitting the fly hard. My father had stayed at camp. He asked why we stayed out that late. On the last day he came out with us and soon figured out why. He had the time of his life. He is in his seventies and would rather fly fish then golf.

island lake, sedge hatch in july.
kick out in the pontoon boat after dark and hang on for the action.
just watch out for the bats swooping down to also take the fly.

zogg54
05-21-2013, 08:42 PM
to us hardcore outdoorsy types, they just go hand-in-hand.
but i know tons of fisherman, and hardcore fisherman, who have never hunted and have no desire at all to.
the best is doing a fly-in to a lake for hunting, and relaxing in the evenings catching fish that rarely see a hook.

Ah yes. The remote location Cast 'n' Blast trips are the the very best. We go by horses.

Iron Glove
05-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Reading glasses come in all kinds of strengths.........

:mrgreen:
Believe me, I've tried everything to get her back tying - she was really quite good at it.
Bought a huge, lit magnifier which she still hasn't used.
I'm retiring in October, maybe she'll realize that if she ties more flies I'll be away from home more often. :wink:

aggiehunter
05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Hermit...if you think spinners work better bring them with you on our next foray in the Ek and I'll stand right beside you to see how you do compared to a high floating Elk Hair Caddis....you on?

Fred1
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I love the Elk! July in the sun, mountains, shorts, hawaiian shirt, pontoon boat, few pops, good hat, shades, a little sunscreen and a few big dumb cuts who cant resist a #12 Green Drake and maybe even a bull or two. Got to love BC!! (spinners are for kids... ;) )

05-22-2013, 11:49 PM
I started fly tying last year, then bought a bunch of new Fly Fishing Gear.....Flyfishing and tying are my new....well...lets put it this way....obsessions. To the point where I am considering selling all my reloading stuff....:rolleyes:

Join a fly Fishing club....go on their outings and you'll learn a tonne. Or just go to a shop and take one of their intro courses/clinics to see if you'll like it.

You tube is your friend.

Watch these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SFOTF

Surrey Boy
05-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice, it's being considered.

North Star
05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
My advice is to do it all, spin, bait and fly. All have their own advantages during different types of weather, species and bodies of water.

Depending on the type of fish you want to go after on the fly I would highly recommend looking at a spey rod instead. Longer casts with no back cast! Only prob is it fairly pricey to get into but once you do you will become addicted.

If you get in to fly fishing you will want at least two rods, something like a 3-4-5 weight and then a 6-7-8 weight for the bigger fish such as salmon, steelhead and pike.

I went up to Wollaston lake in Sask last spring and simply cleaned up on the fish. My buddies both used spin casters and spinners and were racing from pool to pool on the river ahead of me. I simply came along with the fly and cleaned house. Even after they had hit the pools I caught easily twice as many grayling as both of the other guys combined.

And who ever said pike was boring, blasphemy I say!!! NOTHING and I mean nothing beats pike on the surface with a fly. Your heart will pound with excitement.

Sofa King
05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
didn't mean it was boring.
but, it just takes too damn long to get them in.
after a few on the fly, i switched back to the casting rod.
in the time i was getting one pike to the boat with the flyrod, i had probably six - eight pike caught and released with the casting rod.
and in early june, when they are spawning, i just felt the long fight with the flyrod was overplaying the fish needlessly.
not to mention, the pain of getting the fly out of their yaps.
much easier to reach down beside the boat with the pliers and turn the single barbless.

it was an absolute blast, don't get me wrong.
and something i think every fisherman should experience.
but it overplays the arm and the fish i found.
and casting a spoon can have the same excitement.
the spoon was getting absolutely smashed the second it hit the surface.
even funner, was putting on a super-sized lyman and jerking it through the weeds along the top of the water.
it was amazing to see monster pike created a wake as they approached through the shallows, then take chomp after chomp, slicing side to side as they would miss it.
it looked like an alligator attacking.

North Star
05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Fair enough and good on ya for caring about the health of spawning fish.

Nothing like watching a wake or two or three following your top water lure. Even better when they smash them and come flying out of the water.

When up at Wollaston we stopped in a deep hole in a river to jig for walleye. After a couple 2-4 pounders buddy has one on and his rod is doing the usual bend and bob. Then all of the sudden it just bends right over. "Ooh thats a good one" I say, he gets it in closer and there's a 20+ pound pike locked on to his walleye. Man that pike wasn't letting go for nothing, it was a hilarious battle to watch. About 5-10 mins later I had the same thing. He spit it out when he saw the boat and took off but then turned around and came right back and just hovered there looking at the walleye as I pulled it in. Was a total blast!