PDA

View Full Version : elk on lower arrow lake

white moose
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
I was working in castlegar and talked with a local oldtimer. He told me to take a boat up the lower arrow and go up and hunt some of the creek drainages opposite of road side. Was just wondering if anyone has done this and if you were successful. He said it gets pretty remote and steep country.

Wade
05-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Hi white moose, I have never done what your asking but I have seen big bulls along the hiway between castlegar and arrow lake ferry north of nukusp. I would bet those drainages the old timer is talking about is loaded with elk. There was a big bull found in arrow lake a few years back.

OutWest
05-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Any drainage in the WK will hold elk. Boating is a great option. The further from fsr's the better.

Whonnock Boy
05-17-2013, 02:26 PM
I have thought about this as well. If I still have my boat come hunting season, it is something that I can see myself getting into. The question is, where do you start? Lots of water, and territory to explore.

Mark_S
05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
There is a road up every drainage on the Lower arrow lake now with the exception of one....and that road is coming in a few years. I did the road and cut block layout for much of that area. While boating is a good option horses and pedal bikes are probably better as most of it is road closures. You won't be alone though that is one of the areas heavily used by some of the handicap permitted hunters as well as several families that have been going up there for years with horses. I have found many small over night cabins in the area hidden away while doing forestry work and hiked and biked in myself to many of the drainage's. Odds are you will not be alone.