PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile bear hunting a bust for this guy

olympia
05-16-2013, 09:52 AM
went up to 100 mile house, we headed to canim lake and drove past it where there is a gravel road going up the mountain. After driving for awhile we spot a bear just on the side of the road and we pull over to uncase our rifles and load them up, just then a guy in a pickup truck drives past us and the bear, he hits his brakes and backs up to the bear and does a big burn out and scares the bear into the woods, we were choked. The second bear i see the next day, i get out of my truck and lay down prone and get him in my crosshairs, i noticed i was alot more shaky in the field than at the range, i take a shot at maybe 100 yards and i watch the bear turn and run into the woods. We tried for 45 minutes to locate the bear in case i wounded him but we found nothing and the mosquitoes ate us alive. Im gonna have to take my gun back to the range and see of it was operator error or if my rifle scope got knocked off its "sight in", right now im gonna have to assume operator error. Thats my adventure folks

s0ylentgreen
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
did you get the pickup-trucks licence?

some could interpret his actions as interfering....

page 22 of the Hunting Synopsys:

36. to interfere with or obstruct a person
licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap
while that person is lawfully so engaged.

olympia
05-16-2013, 11:40 AM
did you get the pickup-trucks licence?

some could interpret his actions as interfering....

page 22 of the Hunting Synopsys:

36. to interfere with or obstruct a person
licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap
while that person is lawfully so engaged.

no i did not get his license plate, it all happened so fast we were concentrating on watching the bear and at the same time uncasing and loading up our rifles, all i remember is a diesel truck, white(maybe two tone) and it was a dually, I think it was a forestry company type truck but dont recall seeing any writing on the side.

Drillbit
05-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Dually you say? Hmmm.....

Kidding:)

The Dawg
05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Freakin' treeplanters! All a bunch of sandals and candles, dreadlocks and patchouli, tofu and granola fartin' *******s!

Hunt-4-Life
05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
That's probably the best bet, I've seen some treeplanters around town in 100 Mile this spring, they kinda stand out. Not too many local vegan dreadlock anti-hunting types in this little lumber town thank God.

olympia
05-16-2013, 12:49 PM
That's probably the best bet, I've seen some treeplanters around town in 100 Mile this spring, they kinda stand out. Not too many local vegan dreadlock anti-hunting types in this little lumber town thank God.

well at least i got to enjoy the beautiful scenery, I went and checked out my little plot I purchased at lac la hache and to say hi to the neighbors and introduce myself but I didnt see anyone in the yard. Beautiful country it is

andrewscag
05-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Was a bust for me last week too. Saw 8, passed on 3 due to size or location, couldn't get a shot at the others. They were all pretty spooky for some reason. Even when the wind was with me, as soon as they got a glimpse of me they bolted. Guess I should have showered. Heading back up next week though so I'll keep an eye out for the white dually. Thanks for the info

bchunter181
05-16-2013, 02:38 PM
funny I had the same thing happen to me here in 100 mile it was a white ford diesel I was about to shoot a bear and heard this truck coming down the road I waved him down and try to tell him to stop he did stop then saw the bear and sped towards the bear scaring it into the bushes

russm
05-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Uncase your gun when you hit dirt next time, you'd probably have a bear in your freezer if you weren't messing with cases and such.

BlackOwL
05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
How come You didn't face that idiot in the white truck?

warnniklz
05-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Uncase your gun when you hit dirt next time, you'd probably have a bear in your freezer if you weren't messing with cases and such.

I was thinking the same thing

Hunter8
05-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Im just curious is bear good. Im going hunting this weekend for them.

olympia
05-16-2013, 06:07 PM
How come You didn't face that idiot in the white truck?he was gone before we could even see his plate let alone yell at him

sparkes3
05-16-2013, 09:06 PM
why even bother with a case.
mine goes on the seat next to me unless were going to stop on the way (resturant )then they are locked and out of sight.

HarryToolips
05-16-2013, 09:13 PM
went up to 100 mile house, we headed to canim lake and drove past it where there is a gravel road going up the mountain. After driving for awhile we spot a bear just on the side of the road and we pull over to uncase our rifles and load them up, just then a guy in a pickup truck drives past us and the bear, he hits his brakes and backs up to the bear and does a big burn out and scares the bear into the woods, we were choked. The second bear i see the next day, i get out of my truck and lay down prone and get him in my crosshairs, i noticed i was alot more shaky in the field than at the range, i take a shot at maybe 100 yards and i watch the bear turn and run into the woods. We tried for 45 minutes to locate the bear in case i wounded him but we found nothing and the mosquitoes ate us alive. Im gonna have to take my gun back to the range and see of it was operator error or if my rifle scope got knocked off its "sight in", right now im gonna have to assume operator error. Thats my adventure folks
If your scope mounts etc are all tight I would assume your right on the human error..that "buck fever" is funny ain't it? I had it once last year, missed a deer broadside standing shot at about 100 yards..I know I would of easily hit a target/vitals no problem normally as I practice often, but like they say buck fever hits all of us at some point..

itsy bitsy xj
05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear about it, but like you said you got to enjoy the view. give me a call if you want to go out locally next week

ElectricDyck
05-16-2013, 10:29 PM
That's hunting and why they don't call it killing...live and learn, get him next time.

andrewscag
05-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Now I'm wondering if that's why the bears I saw were all so spooky. Was weird. Every one took off at full speed as soon as it spotted us, except the ones in no shooting areas. Maybe white truck conditioning....

troutseeker
05-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Freakin' treeplanters! All a bunch of sandals and candles, dreadlocks and patchouli, tofu and granola fartin' *******s!

I would not go that far, one of the best hunters I know (who also guides), treeplants in the spring and summer...

davet
05-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Ya the bears up there are so jumpy. You had better spot the bear long before he see's you. there is a nice cinnamon bear up there too, but im going to get him next year.

Big Lew
05-17-2013, 09:30 AM
I would not go that far, one of the best hunters I know (who also guides), treeplants in the spring and summer...

Agree, I have met some tree planters that would be happy if all bears were killed....bears are their biggest worry, aside from personal injury, when planting or thinning.

andrewscag
05-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Ya the bears up there are so jumpy. You had better spot the bear long before he see's you. there is a nice cinnamon bear up there too, but im going to get him next year.

My local buddy and I haven't had that experience. Most of the ones we've seen up that way have given ample time to get a shot off. Some to the point that its almost annoying when you want to go past them but they won't move on. Either we've been very lucky or somethings up this year. Heading back up next week for further study so I'll report back. ;-)