PDA

View Full Version : Hunting horses?

fishingguy44
05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
I know that ferral horses can do alot of damage. are you aloud to hunt them as you are wild pigs that do the same? has anyone or would you??

BCHunterTV
05-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I would if it was aloud...dog food!

fishingguy44
05-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Are they listed in the do not shoot list? My understanding is that if you run across an unlisted ferral animal its fair game?

bighornbob
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
If its not listed in the regs you cant shoot it. Plain and simple. BHB

ohotnik
05-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Interested to hear the answer as well...

fishingguy44
05-16-2013, 11:39 AM
If its not listed in the regs you cant shoot it. Plain and simple. BHB

I disagree with that. but I may be wrong. I have a spot that I go bear hunting that has a ferral pig in the woods that is quite aggresive. When I asked the CO about pigs I was told that if its not listed in the don not shoot and not BC wildlife then as long as you hold a valid hunting license there are no tags required. would this not be the same for horses?

bighornbob
05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
I quote from the regs " There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE- except as indicated in this synopsis." Also how do you know the horses are feral and not range horses. A lot of range horse (like cattle) in region 3, especially near native reserves. BHB

steel_ram
05-16-2013, 12:10 PM
If you see a horse seemingly unattended, or without any tack, I strongly suggest you DO NOT shoot it.

ruger#1
I quote from the regs " There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE- except as indicated in this synopsis." Also how do you know the horses are feral and not range horses. A lot of range horse (like cattle) in region 3, especially near native reserves. BHB
Also some native bands lay claim to Feral horses. Region 8 &7. Could turn ugly if caught.

fishingguy44
Good quote. I would love to hear other opinions on this too. thanks for the info BHB

gcreek
05-16-2013, 12:13 PM
We were told by our Forest Servive Agrologist at our latest Cattlemen's meeting that it is not against the law to shoot non-permitted horses on Crown range. Branded or not.

The only thing you should make damned sure about is that they are not there legally as some horse owners do have range licences. The Forestry can provide you with a list of brands and range areas if asked. Loose stallions are fair game regardless as they are not to be out for public safety reasons. Our neighbor lady was run off her own range by a couple of studs while riding last year.
Repercussions by the "owners" are the biggest factor as to why more ranchers aren't shooting them on sight.

bighornbob
05-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Good quote. I would love to hear other opinions on this too. thanks for the info BHB
Other peoples opinions still wont make it legal. BHB

M.Dean
05-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Why would anyone want to shoot a bloody horse? What damage can they do that warrants killing them on sight??? I seen quite a few years ago on the 171 Road, past Pink Mnt, and maybe I'm a bit different that some, but shooting them never crossed my mind!

Walking Buffalo
05-16-2013, 01:33 PM
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/Horsemark.gif (http://s772.photobucket.com/user/keetspics/media/Horsemark.gif.html)

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/Horsemark2.gif (http://s772.photobucket.com/user/keetspics/media/Horsemark2.gif.html)

Ltbullken
05-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Why would anyone want to shoot a bloody horse? What damage can they do that warrants killing them on sight??? I seen quite a few years ago on the 171 Road, past Pink Mnt, and maybe I'm a bit different that some, but shooting them never crossed my mind!

Holy crap they do a lot of damage to habitat and eats tons of forage that indegenous wildlife would normally not have to compete for. I've seen where wild horses reside and the area is obviously torn up. The stallions can push out other animals as well just out of aggression and territoriality. But yes people are emotionally attached to horses and I wish if others are so concerned about them that they round them up and adopt them so that they stop doing damage to local habitats.

David Heitsman
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
I had to put a horse down on the Sikanni one year that had hip dysplasia and was starving. No one had seen it for weeks and every one assumed it was wolf dung. Found the emaciated gelding returning to camp one night and mercily dispatched it. Have to say... made me sick to my stomach.

Ltbullken
05-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Page 14 --- "All native species of animals in the province excluding invertebrates and fish as well as several non-native species have been designated as wildlife, giving them full rotection under provisions of the Wildlife Act..."

Take note it says "native species". Horses and pigs are not native species and they are not desiganted as wildlife.

Sofa King
05-16-2013, 02:14 PM

this 1000%.

why do some people just feel a need to kill things because they are living?
horses have been around for eons.
they have as much right to be out there as the deer and everything else.

Sofa King
05-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Holy crap they do a lot of damage to habitat and eats tons of forage that indegenous wildlife would normally not have to compete for. I've seen where wild horses reside and the area is obviously torn up. The stallions can push out other animals as well just out of aggression and territoriality. But yes people are emotionally attached to horses and I wish if others are so concerned about them that they round them up and adopt them so that they stop doing damage to local habitats.

so what.
so they eat the forage.
so they damage some ground or trees.
how's that affect you?
why do you feel the need to save the land from them?
sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to needlessly kill something.

steel_ram
05-16-2013, 02:29 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=7513b6c0-141f-4222-915b-bc1ac3f5bef9

tadpole
05-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Currently there is a feral horses culling process in Chilcotin ordered by wildlife biologists. They are killed and meat is utilized. Feral horses destroy habitat to the point that moose has no food. They are like wild feral cats. They destroy environment that they don't belong to normally. They need to be gone. Natives oppose it a bit but it doesn't matter. Just look on you tube or National Geographic documentaries on them. They bring really bad damage to nature. They belong to stables.

Confused
05-16-2013, 03:11 PM

What about mice? :-D

bighornbob
05-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Page 14 --- "All native species of animals in the province excluding invertebrates and fish as well as several non-native species have been designated as wildlife, giving them full rotection under provisions of the Wildlife Act..."

Take note it says "native species". Horses and pigs are not native species and they are not desiganted as wildlife.
So what about all the cattle that are there??? Don't think they are native, so I guess using your rational they are good to shoot too. BHB

bighornbob
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
What about mice? :-D Trapping is fine, shooting with a high power rifle would not:):):) BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
05-16-2013, 03:33 PM
While doing sheep/deer counts this yr, the bios saw 4 or 5 dead horses in Paul Creek in the Ashnola area....which flows down into a reserve. Horses most likely staved to death as others in the area were skin and bone. Needless to say the horses have devastated the winter range and there are no longer sheep in the immediate area. The horses don't belong in the area.

steel_ram
05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
While doing sheep/deer counts this yr, the bios saw 4 or 5 dead horses in Paul Creek in the Ashnola area....which flows down into a reserve. Horses most likely staved to death as others in the area were skin and bone. Needless to say the horses have devastated the winter range and there are no longer sheep in the immediate area. The horses don't belong in the area.

Either do cattle.

Rob Chipman
05-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Pretty sure you can shoot them, but...real wild ones are hard to get close to, and free ranging ones (that is, they belong to somebody) are pretty common in the Chilcotin.

They've been around the Chilcotin in large numbers for 100s of years. They were probably there before the moose moved in (Simon Fraser saw FN on horses in 1804).

Big cull (with bounty) right around World War 1, but they still survive out there, despite weather, grizzlies and wolves. Hard to argue they aren't wild by now or that the environment can't handle them.

Moose Guide
05-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Currently there is a feral horses culling process in Chilcotin ordered by wildlife biologists. They are killed and meat is utilized. Feral horses destroy habitat to the point that moose has no food. They are like wild feral cats. They destroy environment that they don't belong to normally. They need to be gone. Natives oppose it a bit but it doesn't matter. Just look on you tube or National Geographic documentaries on them. They bring really bad damage to nature. They belong to stables.

Moose eat branches and under water plants, horses eat grass. Anyone who tells you that horses are eating moose out of house and home is full of crap!!!

Ltbullken
05-16-2013, 11:28 PM
So what about all the cattle that are there??? Don't think they are native, so I guess using your rational they are good to shoot too. BHB

Cattle occupy an area by a range license or on private property. When cattle are off their range or at large, the CO's and Min of Ag give the ranchers a certain amount of time to go collect them and if not, they are 'harvested.' If cattle goes feral, it should be shot too. If the cattle has an ear tag and brand, it is probably accidentally at large so the decent thing to do is to try to notify the rancher or a CO who can take care it. We're talking about livestock that gets free and becomes a feral population. That is when accounted for damage comes to local habitat.

steel_ram
05-17-2013, 09:08 AM
I could only imagine the general public's reaction to a opened season on wild horses. Many people, including some hunters have a special affection to horses. You think Grizzly hunting gets emmotions high . . .

Gr8 white hunter
05-17-2013, 10:34 AM
People who want go out and shoot horses are not hunters , They have small man syndrom and just have to kill something to feel big.

05-17-2013, 11:26 AM
They would make for a great Long range target... on that open Grass land..

skibum
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM
People who want go out and shoot horses are not hunters , They have small man syndrom and just have to kill something to feel big.

why - cauz horses are pretty - wtf?

what is the difference between an elk and a wild horse?

TheProvider
05-17-2013, 02:26 PM
There are section "C" animals. But like mentioned I would highly not recommend shooting a horse.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Talking to a CO this spring I ask the same question. As far as he was concerned they make good wolf bait and shooting them is fine. I will be looking to get this in writing for next season.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-17-2013, 02:33 PM

What a dumb comment, I guess you are really in grade 8, if so you are forgiven for your unimformed comment.
Wild horses in the Chilcotin are taking over moose, deer and cattle range and need controlling, infact should be wiped out. Eating horse is very common in other parts of the world, infact we have a few Europeans here that butcher their own horses.

bccanadian
05-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I personally don't have any interest in hunting horses. That being said, when I was a kid, my dad would get horse meat from a local butcher (I don't know which one) and it tasted great in stews

ruger#1
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
why - cauz horses are pretty - wtf?

what is the difference between an elk and a wild horse?
Horses do not have antlers. You had to ask didn't you. If it was a unicorn it would have a horn. Why are you so confused?

pieter
05-17-2013, 04:01 PM
my daddy was a non hunter didn't like killing things, So he told me if you need to kill you better be hungary and be able to eat it hence when i was a kid no robins starlings etc take it from there thats my opion on shooting horses

steel_ram
05-17-2013, 04:26 PM
You got to be pretty sick in the head if you get-off on the idea of shooting horses, or any domesticated animal for that matter regardless if it's become feral or not. I'm not stating culling by killing is not necessary, but it's certainly not any recreational hunters business.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Steel ram, I don't think anyone here is getting off on killing horses for fun. Some of these horses are already rounded up and sold for meat, shooting wild horses would be in most cases tougher then hunting deer. I wouldn't hunt them for meat, but wolf bait on the other hand works for me. Sometimes it can be really tough to find enough bait to keep the wolves coming back, this could fix that problem.

fishingguy44
05-17-2013, 09:01 PM
I wouldnt get off on shooting a horse. But I dont think it would feel any differant than shooting a coyote. I think that horses effect the deer population as much as yotes just in a differant way

Ltbullken
05-17-2013, 09:40 PM

Oh for sure, I am totally compensating... You should see the size of my truck...

I don't want to go shoot horses. But they do a huge amount of damage and force out indigenous species. If hunters were as concerned with wildlife as they are with pretty horses, we should be advocating to get them corralled and adopted. But is cultural that we see horses as pretty and inviolable while other cultures see them as just another protein source. I get that some hunters have tender sensibilities... oooh I feel the compensating comin' on!!

sawmill
05-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I`v eaten horse,it`s quite good.I`d shoot a nice young one for the meat,no problem.

ruger#1
05-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Oh for sure, I am totally compensating... You should see the size of my truck...

I don't want to go shoot horses. But they do a huge amount of damage and force out indigenous species. If hunters were as concerned with wildlife as they are with pretty horses, we should be advocating to get them corralled and adopted. But is cultural that we see horses as pretty and inviolable while other cultures see them as just another protein source. I get that some hunters have tender sensibilities... oooh I feel the compensating comin' on!! We could ship them to Quebec. They eat the meat in restaurants there. Some reserves all ready do round them up and ship them out.

Walking Buffalo
05-18-2013, 02:41 PM
You got to be pretty sick in the head if you get-off on the idea of shooting horses, or any domesticated animal for that matter regardless if it's become feral or not. I'm not stating culling by killing is not necessary, but it's certainly not any recreational hunters business.

Do you feel that the public should not be actively involved with wildlife and ecosystem management in the field?

Should the public hunting of deer for population management be eliminated?

Back up, wipe away the tears and re-consider your position.

It is imperitive for the public to actively participate in the management of our natural resources. In many instances the government can not or will not spend the money required to facilitate management decisions and the only recourse is to obtain volunteer participation. Managing Feral horse populations is no different than managing any other species, none of which should be determined by emotions.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Well said Walking Buffalo, my wife doesn't like the idea as she is a major horse person, but atleast she understands the need.

steel_ram
05-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Do you feel that the public should not be actively involved with wildlife and ecosystem management in the field?

Should the public hunting of deer for population management be eliminated?

Back up, wipe away the tears and re-consider your position.

It is imperitive for the public to actively participate in the management of our natural resources. In many instances the government can not or will not spend the money required to facilitate management decisions and the only recourse is to obtain volunteer participation. Managing Feral horse populations is no different than managing any other species, none of which should be determined by emotions.

I agree in a cull if deemed necessary, but find it odd that a few would actually want or feel enjoyment from shooting horses. These are horse's not deer. They are part of our heritage in a different way than wildlife. No tears here BTW WB .
:rolleyes:

180grainer
05-18-2013, 06:14 PM
I don't think I could bring my self to shoot a horse.

Walking Buffalo
05-18-2013, 09:34 PM
I agree in a cull if deemed necessary, but find it odd that a few would actually want or feel enjoyment from shooting horses. These are horse's not deer. They are part of our heritage in a different way than wildlife. No tears here BTW WB .
:rolleyes:

Are you still against the public being part of lethal population control? Do you feel that Hunters should no longer be leaders in protecting our wildlife resources, or is this a job just for those with a government pension plan? Our North American horse heritage has always been to use the horse as livestock, not to maintain it as a feral animal. Put the emotions aside. Killing horses for ecological protection is not about fun. I'm glad that there are Men and Woman that will buck up and get the job done.

I'm in Alberta where we are experiencing an overpopulation of feral horses in several areas. Critical ungulate winter range is being impacted by these horses to a point where sheep, elk, moose and deer populations are decreasing. There seems to be two reason for the ungulate decline, increased competition for winter food resources and an increase of predation due to displacement.

The Ab. government will not spend the money to cull the horses, but they will licence the public to trap them. These captured feral horses generally end up at the slaughterhouse. Without individual citizen effort, our feral horse overpopulation would quickly become a nightmare to the remaining wildlife.

Another Alberta example of pubic volunteers getting the job done when dealing with exotics is with Brook and Rainbow trout in selected waters. These exotics are both displacing and cross-breeding with native Bull and Westslope cutthroat trout. Our fisheries department cannot afford to cull the exotics, so they have initiated a public Stewardship fishing licence allowing certified individuals to harvest an unlimited number of brook and rainbow trout from these specific waters. In the true traditional spirit of Wildlife Conservation, Alberta hunters and fishers are getting the work done when the government can't or won't.

r106
05-18-2013, 10:59 PM
I have no interest in shooting or eating a horse but if you think about it and put emotions aside, whats the difference in eating a cow, deer, bear, elk or moose compared to a horse? If they are wild horses and are not native here and causing environmental damage then I don't see the problem hunting them. I personally would not.

Range cattle cause way more damage and I would like to see some more restrictions on were they can go. But I doubt that will happen

Swamp mule
05-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Any Loose stallions on crown range that is held by a range Licensee is permitted and NOT fair game. A range licensee is allowed to have stud horses out on their range as indicated in their range license.
We were told by our Forest Servive Agrologist at our latest Cattlemen's meeting that it is not against the law to shoot non-permitted horses on Crown range. Branded or not.

The only thing you should make damned sure about is that they are not there legally as some horse owners do have range licences. The Forestry can provide you with a list of brands and range areas if asked. Loose stallions are fair game regardless as they are not to be out for public safety reasons. Our neighbor lady was run off her own range by a couple of studs while riding last year.
Repercussions by the "owners" are the biggest factor as to why more ranchers aren't shooting them on sight.

gcreek
05-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Any Loose stallions on crown range that is held by a range Licensee is permitted and NOT fair game. A range licensee is allowed to have stud horses out on their range as indicated in their range license.

Not here on our stock range. Maybe just a local thing.

Personally I find a big buck, bull or ram a lot prettier to look at than a big-headed, club footed "wild horse" of the Chilcotin. The Forestry flew this country 2 winters ago and lost count at 2500 horses. My guess is they outnumber the moose by a bunch.

Anaham Band recieved $75,000 from MOE to remove some horses from their traditional area. They caught 14 this winter. Not very cost effective in my view.

Bigbullsh$tter
05-19-2013, 04:54 PM
What a dumb comment, I guess you are really in grade 8, if so you are forgiven for your unimformed comment.
Wild horses in the Chilcotin are taking over moose, deer and cattle range and need controlling, infact should be wiped out. Eating horse is very common in other parts of the world, infact we have a few Europeans here that butcher their own horses.

So if you shoot one are you gonna eat it?

chilcotin hillbilly
05-19-2013, 07:43 PM
So if you shoot one are you gonna eat it?

No I will use it for wolf bait, I have no interest in eating horse but lots of interest in smoking wolves.

Bigbullsh$tter
05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
No I will use it for wolf bait, I have no interest in eating horse but lots of interest in smoking wolves.

Fair enough

ncurrie
05-19-2013, 09:31 PM
So the world is over populated by human beings who destroy the earth every minute of the day. Are some of you suggesting that we start culling one and another? Last time I checked horses have been around just as long as us if not longer. So doesnt that make them a native species? I agree with fact that these horses are not native to the chilcolton such as moose or deer. In fact they most likely started out as someone's pet and the owner/s for some reason has become irresponsible for them. But lets punish the animals for that. Or we as humans who are smarter (at least some of us are) could take responsibility for these animals and give them a chance to cohabitate with us like so many other horses.There isn't a doubt in my mind that some of the 2500 ferel horses might have to be put down due to health reasons etc... But the others would make great assets to people's lives if given a chance.

BearSupreme
05-19-2013, 09:41 PM
I dont really have an opinion on hunting wild horses, but I did have an experience for the first time last year. I shot a 4 point whitetail, went down to drag it out. By the time I got to it, 1 wild horse was running toward my hunting partner and I, and another was getting closer at about 300 yards. The big one wouldnt leave us alone. It took over an hour to get the deer away from the horses, and we were afraid they were going to charge a few times. The closer one was only 40 yards and was snorting and bobbing its head. when we hid and waited, they would move back a bit, but when i started dragging the deer again, they would come back. Freaked us out for sure, especially because we didnt know if we could shoot the legally or not. Obviously, if it charged, it would have met my 300 win mag, but I would only do that as a last resort.
After this experience though, if I knew I could shoot one, I would feel less apathy towards those wild horses. Ive never felt threated by any animal, not even a bear, but those horses were really intimidating..

chilcotin hillbilly
05-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Bear Supreme, When I read your story of terror, I had to laugh as I remember my wife running for the truck when we got charged by a stallion and his mares. Shes a horse person and was still unnerved by the display. The won't actually do anything the Stallion is just protacting what is his. Unless you are a mare in heat there is nothing to be afraid of.

chilcotin hillbilly
05-20-2013, 06:43 AM
So the world is over populated by human beings who destroy the earth every minute of the day. Are some of you suggesting that we start culling one and another? Last time I checked horses have been around just as long as us if not longer. So doesnt that make them a native species? I agree with fact that these horses are not native to the chilcolton such as moose or deer. In fact they most likely started out as someone's pet and the owner/s for some reason has become irresponsible for them. But lets punish the animals for that. Or we as humans who are smarter (at least some of us are) could take responsibility for these animals and give them a chance to cohabitate with us like so many other horses.There isn't a doubt in my mind that some of the 2500 ferel horses might have to be put down due to health reasons etc... But the others would make great assets to people's lives if given a chance.

Maybe you should check you local auction and see what horses go for. there is a surplus of horses for the most part already. Horses in the fall time are almost given away because the so called horse lover can't afford to feed them over the winter. With the poor economy in the states 100's of horses are bing turned loose in Nevada, Arizona and New mexico every year and cause the same problems.

Rocky7
05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
I just got back from a trip to one of my elk hunting areas. Somebody dumped several horses in there last fall. The clearings where I used to see elk are mowed down and full of horse dung. They were dumped there, alright. I came up on 3 of them and could walk right up and touch two of them. The same type of people who would moan and condemn a person for shooting them are the type that dumped them. Still figuring out what to do.....

bearvalley
05-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Are you still against the public being part of lethal population control? Do you feel that Hunters should no longer be leaders in protecting our wildlife resources, or is this a job just for those with a government pension plan? Our North American horse heritage has always been to use the horse as livestock, not to maintain it as a feral animal. Put the emotions aside. Killing horses for ecological protection is not about fun. I'm glad that there are Men and Woman that will buck up and get the job done.

I'm in Alberta where we are experiencing an overpopulation of feral horses in several areas. Critical ungulate winter range is being impacted by these horses to a point where sheep, elk, moose and deer populations are decreasing. There seems to be two reason for the ungulate decline, increased competition for winter food resources and an increase of predation due to displacement.

The Ab. government will not spend the money to cull the horses, but they will licence the public to trap them. These captured feral horses generally end up at the slaughterhouse. Without individual citizen effort, our feral horse overpopulation would quickly become a nightmare to the remaining wildlife.

Another Alberta example of pubic volunteers getting the job done when dealing with exotics is with Brook and Rainbow trout in selected waters. These exotics are both displacing and cross-breeding with native Bull and Westslope cutthroat trout. Our fisheries department cannot afford to cull the exotics, so they have initiated a public Stewardship fishing licence allowing certified individuals to harvest an unlimited number of brook and rainbow trout from these specific waters. In the true traditional spirit of Wildlife Conservation, Alberta hunters and fishers are getting the work done when the government can't or won't.

I'm in agreement that there are to many horses running loose in parts of BC.
But there are not many members of the general hunting fraternity that have the ability or will take the time to
check if the horses have a legal right to be on crown land. Some ranchers have horse range permits, outfitters have permits to run horses within their certificate areas and then there is the First Nation horse issue. If you want to start a shit storm go ahead and advocate the killing of horses on crown land by the general public.
If the numbers of feral horses are to be kept in check or lowered the job is best to be left to those that are capable and qualified to do it.

Walking Buffalo
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm in agreement that there are to many horses running loose in parts of BC.
But there are not many members of the general hunting fraternity that have the ability or will take the time to
check if the horses have a legal right to be on crown land. Some ranchers have horse range permits, outfitters have permits to run horses within their certificate areas and then there is the First Nation horse issue. If you want to start a shit storm go ahead and advocate the killing of horses on crown land by the general public.
If the numbers of feral horses are to be kept in check or lowered the job is best to be left to those that are capable and qualified to do it.

A little bit of education and regulation would turn the shit storm into good fertilizer. No different than managing any other species.

What is up with people that think only a government employee can be qualitfied to do a job? :confused:

gcreek
05-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Maybe you should check you local auction and see what horses go for. there is a surplus of horses for the most part already. Horses in the fall time are almost given away because the so called horse lover can't afford to feed them over the winter. With the poor economy in the states 100's of horses are bing turned loose in Nevada, Arizona and New mexico every year and cause the same problems.

Don't forget the do-gooders shutting down the horse slaughter in the US as a factor in what killer horses are worth.

bearvalley
05-21-2013, 02:44 PM
A little bit of education and regulation would turn the shit storm into good fertilizer. No different than managing any other species.

What is up with people that think only a government employee can be qualitfied to do a job? :confused:
The words used were capable and qualified. When it comes to thinning out wild horses I think most government employees as well as the average "hunter" are going to come up short on both counts.

Rocky7
05-21-2013, 03:19 PM

I am beginning to see this issue your way. Still, there are good points made about the hazards of blazing away at any horses on crown land. No, we shouldn't need government to blow our noses, but some regulations would need changing to prohibit grazing horses, IMO. If that were done first, then the risk of leaving a horse loose on crown land rests with the owner.

The horses I mentioned were dumped. I'm sure of it. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the grazing lease holder who operates across the river, either.

Anyway, something has to happen - and soon.