PDA

View Full Version : regulations question

CanuckShooter
01-02-2007, 07:26 AM
My property is bisected by a river that just happens to be the border between 7-7 and 7-9. There are about eight islands on the river within the border of our 1/4 section....so my question is...

Are these islands in 7-7 or 7-9 ??

Steeleco
01-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Is there a regulatory difference? by that I mean is there a time when you can hunt one critter but not the other? or a bag limit difference. Just curious!!!

Where I hunt it often isn't much of a deal, having said that, I find the back country road map books have by far the best pictures as to the lay of the boundaries.

mapguy
01-02-2007, 09:16 AM
i've spoken to the min regarding that sort of thing and they said it really doesn't matter too much cause your right on the border . Mind you the game warden will probably have a different opinion .

brotherjack
01-02-2007, 09:37 AM
I'd ask my local CO's to make the determination, and then take whatever they said as gospel on the subject; as so long as they're good with what you're doing, you're certainly not going to get into any real trouble.

Mauser98
01-02-2007, 10:53 AM
My property is bisected by a river that just happens to be the border between 7-7 and 7-9. There are about eight islands on the river within the border of our 1/4 section....so my question is...

I would think the location (which WMU) of the islands would be judged in relation to the location of the main channel of the river.

SUAFOYT
01-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Interesting question. Let's assume we're talking about the Willow River. My understanding has been that the boundaries are set pretty much on waterways or drainages. There may be exceptions to this as I'm not looking at a map right now. These boundaries are therefore on a height of land ie in most cases the lowest point. As far as the islands on your property, in my mind they are the lowest point or the boundary itself. If a CO were to try and get you on the mid point of a river or creek I'd be happy to see him in court. Unless there's a marker system out there for hunting boundaries(which there isn't) like the triangular fishing boundary then IMO you're in the clear.

steel_ram
01-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Any geographical feature on a river flood plain is subject to change. Until they start issueing actual coordinates and we as your average intelligence are realistically able to use them, I think it would be pretty tough to pin you for hunting on a MU border

BCbillies
01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I have hunted MU boundaries on creeks/rivers for grizzly and have the following in writing back in 2001 from the C.O.'s. "The boundary between MU's is the right river bank looking downstream." Hope this helps! I wanted this clarified in writing because with a grizz you don't want to take any chances!

Visle
01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I searched the Wildlife Act,Management Unit Regulations and it says under:
River Or Creek as a Boundary
2 (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a river or creek, or any part of a river or creek, forms part of a boundary of a management unit, that part of the boundary is conclusively deemed to follow the right hand bank of the river as you face downstream.
(2) If any part of the West Road (Blackwater River), Liard River or the Peace River form a part of the boundary of a management unit, that part of the boundary is conclusively deemed to follow the left hand bank of the river as you face downstream.

boxhitch
01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Good find, Visle.
Keep in mind, the Synopsis is only a guideline for all regs. Always refer to a higher power.

hunter1947
01-02-2007, 06:28 PM
I would think that a matter of 500 feet if you shot the animal on ether side of the river that the co would not pin you to the wall. But if the line between the two zone regions run along the river ,then i would say to play it safe you would have to drop your animal at the half way point on ether side of the center of the river ,depending on what region you were hunting hunter 1947.

CanuckShooter
01-03-2007, 08:08 AM
I searched the Wildlife Act,Management Unit Regulations and it says under:
River Or Creek as a Boundary
2 (1) Subject to subsection (2), if a river or creek, or any part of a river or creek, forms part of a boundary of a management unit, that part of the boundary is conclusively deemed to follow the right hand bank of the river as you face downstream.
(2) If any part of the West Road (Blackwater River), Liard River or the Peace River form a part of the boundary of a management unit, that part of the boundary is conclusively deemed to follow the left hand bank of the river as you face downstream.

Steeleco>> there is a regulation difference when you have an LEH.

I've never noticed this 'right hand bank' write up before, and have to wonder why there are three rivers that are treated differently?? Thanks for the info Visle.

Bow Walker
01-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Good find, Visle.
Keep in mind, the Synopsis is only a guideline for all regs. Always refer to a higher power.
As always - the onus is on the hunter/trapper to be sure of where he/she is at all times, legally speaking.

That being obvious, the only sure way is to contact your local CO and get a definitive ruling from him as he will be the one nailing said ass to said wall.

Fisher-Dude
01-03-2007, 08:42 AM
I would think that a matter of 500 feet if you shot the animal on ether side of the river that the co would not pin you to the wall. But if the line between the two zone regions run along the river ,then i would say to play it safe you would have to drop your animal at the half way point on ether side of the center of the river ,depending on what region you were hunting hunter 1947.

I think you would be ticketed if you interpreted to within 500 feet. Years ago, my dad and I watched a bull and cow moose about 500 feet inside the wrong MU boundary, waiting to see which way they would go. Too bad they wandered away deeper into the closed MU. I could have killed the bull with a rock! We heard a truck door close across a little lake below us, and when we drove out, the CO was there. "Too bad that bull was on the wrong side of the line" he said. He then commended us for abiding by the rules of the boundary, which ran down a hill just to the south of us. Better safe than sorry in all instances.

hunter1947
01-03-2007, 05:04 PM
When i was asking questions to the head people in the LEH department about zone areas for elk hear on the island last year ,they said that it would be a gray area if my friend that had a draw shot a bull a hafe mile in the other zone ,they said it would proubly be up to the CO that would decide what would happen. hunter 1947.

boxhitch
01-03-2007, 07:30 PM
When i was asking questions to the head people in the LEH department about zone areas for elk hear on the island last year ,they said that it would be a gray area if my friend that had a draw shot a bull a hafe mile in the other zone ,they said it would proubly be up to the CO that would decide what would happen. hunter 1947.
The LEH office has nothing to do with the rules or enforcement. Prob not so grey to the local CO.

BCrams
01-04-2007, 09:56 AM

hunter 1947

Did you miss Visle's post? I suggest you read it again carefully.

The law is clear on the boundary issue with regards to the river acting as a boundary. There is no ' I would think ' in this case.

Your post suggests you might be willing to push those legal boundaries based on what you think and not abiding what is the actual law.

hunter1947
01-04-2007, 07:08 PM
hunter 1947

Did you miss Visle's post? I suggest you read it again carefully.

The law is clear on the boundary issue with regards to the river acting as a boundary. There is no ' I would think ' in this case.

Your post suggests you might be willing to push those legal boundaries based on what you think and not abiding what is the actual law. I know the law and i would never hunt that close to a boundry anyway ,never have ,never will ,whats the point :lol: hunter 1947.

Farmer
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks Visle for the post. I always wondered why the Fraser Valley Special Area maps showed the boundary on the Agassiz side of the river. Now I know.