PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good lightweight monocular????

Mountain Hunter
05-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I've been out in the backcountry quite a bit year round without a chance to carry a good set of binos, but wished I had a nice lightweight little monocular in the pack/pocket to check out things from a distance. For all around use people seem to recommend 8X or less for handheld use.

I looked into an old post (2010) here on Hunt BC regrading Bushnell (too big & heavy), Leica (expensive, looks nice). Recently Minox (6X) seems OK, and Zeiss (8X) has mix between quality, lightest weight, and price?

Does anyone here actually use (work, recreation) and could recommend one?? Thanks!

boxhitch
05-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Don't know about others but your thread had me looking for my old Bushnell 8 x 30
Haven't used it in years , used to take it wherever, Beaufort crew changes , traveling , concerts etc
Just using it now , makes me think it could be good for some dominant eye retraining.
My go-to binos are different than my high end hunting/working set , and they go anywhere too
Pentax 9 x 28
Compact optics always are handy , not obtrusive , cheap to loose , and do the do 90% of the time

Gateholio
05-14-2013, 08:37 AM
I used to have a Ziess monocular. About the size of a sharpie pen. Worked pretty good for what it was. If anyone finds i, let me know. :)

boxhitch
05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Lost it while playing 'doctor' ?

Singleshotneeded
05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Are those small binos too heavy for you? I'd never go with mono...know a bud who had it back in the 80s...:-D

troutseeker
05-15-2013, 12:52 AM
Vortex makes a nice one, 8X25 and weights about 6 ounces. I looked thru one and it was pretty good.