PDA

View Full Version : Ogden Point Breakwater Fishing

Blktail
05-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Any advice out there for a marginally proficient fisherman?

Are the "black bass" just black or grey rockfish (one per day)?

I heard about fly fishing down there years ago but never tried. Ideas?

I'd like to take my grandson there for his first fish.

kyleklassen
05-13-2013, 08:28 PM
black bass....'seabass.....black rockfish....one in the same.....and one per day.....you'll get greenlings on the bottom perfect for kids first fish...and 3 per day...one piece of fish and chips off each side.

patbrennan
05-16-2013, 06:22 AM
My brother and I used to go there at night and cast white jigs for seabass. You had to watch out for the pilot boat wakes, but it was a lot of fun. We mostly fished during the fall/winter, some nights we'd catch and release 100+ fish in a couple hours (late 70's). Every couple of trips you'd hook into something that was too big to handle on a trout rod, always figured for a bigger cod or perhaps a salmon. I'd guess it is not that good any more, but haven't done it in a long time.

steel_ram
05-17-2013, 09:16 AM
I think it would be pretty hard to "fly fish", down there. Roll casting would be about all one can do. Most of the breakwater is guarded by a kelp bed. Wouldn't want a big rockfish to drag a $50 flyline into there. Lots of "New Canadians" fish down there. Wonder if there's anything left?

Spy
05-17-2013, 12:33 PM
The Kelp can be very frustrating, be ready to loose lots of jigs. I have Fly fished of the point & slammed some nice bass, i will try & dig out some pics. I found that using the tide/ current to get your fly out works great. Good luck & let us know how it goes.

Blktail
05-17-2013, 12:46 PM
First try was a bust. But I didn't try for long or make it out to the end. It was sure pleasant though. Kelp wasn't an issue (yet).

patbrennan
05-19-2013, 09:21 AM
We always started at the end (outside) and worked back, but not very far!