PDA

View Full Version : ...who shoots bears with bird shot?....

nuadixion
05-12-2013, 04:15 PM
...went out on thursday with couple of friends (this time they did not bail out on me :))... first day one bear gets away from me.....buddies have no action ....Next day I just go out scouting...leave the honey holes for them....drive the quad up high to nice lake .....not a bear sign around.....go for a walk, nice trail to the lake, look around, admire scenery......and this guy walks right onto me!....12 yards shot right in the neck....Buddies hate me now...:) it is my second one in the year.....:)
Today I fried up some of this guy beacon and was surprised to find a number of bird shot and air gun pellets in the meat (?)..... wouldnt it just pissed the bear off?.....plus it ruins the meat for whoever harvests a bear..... it is kind of ignorant:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75868618@N08/

TheProvider
05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
People target practicing. Growing up trapping with my dad. We would catch countless beavers shot by bird shot. Would'nt harm the beavers. People simply go out in the woods to target practice. They see a live animal and figure no one is around so why not. People can say I am just "assuming" but it does happen.

With bears it could be from them getting a little to close for comfort and someone who wanted to scare them more than hurt them.

nuadixion
05-12-2013, 04:43 PM
People target practicing. Growing up trapping with my dad. We would catch countless beavers shot by bird shot. Would'nt harm the beavers. People simply go out in the woods to target practice. They see a live animal and figure no one is around so why not. People can say I am just "assuming" but it does happen.

With bears it could be from them getting a little to close for comfort and someone who wanted to scare them more than hurt them.
Were those beavers shot with lead or steal shot?

r106
05-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Maybe it was a problem bear? Someone trying to scare it off?

recoil
05-12-2013, 04:54 PM
The bear probably invaded someone's camp at some point, i doubt anyone would be dumb enough to "hunt" a bear with bird shot.

180grainer
05-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Unless your physically threatened by the bear, shooting it with bird shot is just ignorant.

Gateholio
05-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Don't know where you are hunting, but if it was around farmland or popular camps it was probably shot with birdshot to drive it away. Quite possibly you shot a bear that was habituated to humans and had become a problem.

boxhitch
05-12-2013, 06:04 PM
was surprised to find a number of bird shot and air gun pellets in the meat (?Takes some serious loads to get those into the meat even at point blank range.
Sounds like he was a repeat offender , or someone had him tied up for a while.
If you believe the stories about fragmented lead bullets poisoning meat , its all toxic .

nuadixion
05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Don't know where you are hunting, but if it was around farmland or popular camps it was probably shot with birdshot to drive it away. Quite possibly you shot a bear that was habituated to humans and had become a problem.

The area is boat access only....no humans around....occasionally you will come by some hikers who came by kayaks....the lucky draw winners for elk come in the fall....

Gateholio
05-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Well, he must have pissed off someone's camp more than once!

nuadixion
05-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Takes some serious loads to get those into the meat even at point blank range.
Sounds like he was a repeat offender , or someone had him tied up for a while.
If you believe the stories about fragmented lead bullets poisoning meat , its all toxic .

Well...it is common knowledge that lead is not very health for you.....so I did not grind any meat...did not want to grind the lead into the meat....most of it are roasts, then cubed for stew and bacon. Hopefully we will chew it all out :)

huntingfamily
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
I shoot birds with bird shot, and bears with big bullets.

Cheers,
hf

VDD Group Canada

finngun
05-12-2013, 08:09 PM
better pellets in bears a..:mrgreen:s than me in the winni bears mouth:tongue:

boxhitch
05-12-2013, 10:27 PM
The area is boat access only....no humans aroundAny chance he was a relocated trouble maker ?
Still doesn't make sense for all the pellets

1/2 slam
05-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Any chance he was a relocated trouble maker ?
Still doesn't make sense for all the pellets

Sure it does. Someone tried to deal with it before it was trapped and moved.

Jagermeister
05-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Probably a relocated problem bear. Just wasn't getting the message with a load of birdshot. So they moved him far away. Then along comes Johnny.

nuadixion
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Probably a relocated problem bear. Just wasn't getting the message with a load of birdshot. So they moved him far away. Then along comes Johnny.
That makes me think...maybe he was coming for me..? Through the bushes he was standing up on his hinds trying to see what is ahead, sniffing...and still coming foreword towards me.......12 yards was enough for me......

But then I heard that the CO's do not bother with relocating them....it is more of a "catch and destroy" practice..?

boxhitch
05-13-2013, 01:11 PM
And maybe the airgun pellets were a form of aversion conditioning
Will have to do some testing and see just how close a pellet gun has to be to have a pellet in the meat of a b bear

nuadixion
05-13-2013, 02:35 PM
And maybe the airgun pellets were a form of aversion conditioning
Will have to do some testing and see just how close a pellet gun has to be to have a pellet in the meat of a b bear
Are you planing to do the test on a live target?