PDA

View Full Version : Jewel Lake, Greenwood

Jack Russell
05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
We are planning a trip to Jewel lake. I"ve never been there.

I have a good understanding of fly fishing and am looking for any information on fly fishing this lake and what to expect. Viable fly fishery?

We are going near the end of the month.

Thanks!

JR.

rcar
05-12-2013, 04:18 PM
You might try the small resort on the lake for information. They are hunter firendly as well and when I was planning a trip there a while back they were very helpful with the fishing info at that time.

goatdancer
05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Never fly fished up there. We used to troll flashy things and spin cast shiny lures years ago. From personal experience, we used to fish the far end (north?). Be ready for a lot of mosquitoes. Water is very clear and cold.

REMINGTON JIM
05-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Google Jewel Lake and check out the size of the HUGE Rainbow trout out of there in the old days ! MONSTERS ! if its true ! :-D RJ

Jack Russell
05-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Google Jewel Lake and check out the size of the HUGE Rainbow trout out of there in the old days ! MONSTERS ! if its true ! :-D RJ

This was true, back in the '30's when the lake had the Gerrard strain. The lake must have had kokanee in them at the time as Gerrards are piscivorous. For some reason, I think the ecology of the lake changed and the Gerrards do not exist in the lake any longer. I suspect there may be another strain of rainbows introduced into there.

Its not a big lake, nor very deep. Amazing that trout of that magnitude lived in there at one time.

Anybody know the facts on what happened to the Gerrards?

Any more info on the current fly fishing opportunities?

goatdancer
05-12-2013, 07:34 PM
There was some kind of a structure that controlled the flow of water out of the lake and down Jewel Creek. Apparently the structure failed and a lot of the big ones went for a swim down the creek and couldn't return. That's the story as I heard it back in the 50's. Also, the tailings pile may have had some effect on the fish. My uncle caught one that was about 3 feet long in the very early 50's so the lake did have some monsters.

longwalk
05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
I believe that some coarse fish have also been introduced. Jewel lake also gets hammered pretty hard over the winter season.

palmer
05-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Lots of small fish in that lake, split between rainbow and brookies...trolling is the main way it gets fished but fly fishing is ok...best fishing is very early morning.

REMINGTON JIM
05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
I have a small book about Jewel Lake - It seems some of the Rainbows there hit 50 lbs + lots of 20-30 lb-ers - there are even pictures of them !:shock::shock::shock: RJ

Fred1
05-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Jewel is far from what it was when those big fish were around. If you're looking for 20lb trout, keep lookin. Its not the lake it was when my grandfather fished it. They just dont exist there anymore. When you see the lake it is hard to imagine the fish were that big in that water! Truely legendary! Troll the flashy stuff. I did well there a few times trolling a small green Doc Spratley. Take a couple beers too! :)

300H&H
05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I've seen some super brook trout in that lake but they can be very picky.

knockturnal
05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
you can sight fish the shallows for cruising brookies with a leech pattern. Keeps you entertained if the fishing is slow.

Jack Russell
05-13-2013, 05:20 PM
The brookies sound like fun - will have to give it a go. Thanks for the info guys. I'll give a report upon return from my trip.

Thanks,
JR

doubled
05-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I believe that some coarse fish have also been introduced. Jewel lake also gets hammered pretty hard over the winter season.

That is exactly what happened. Coarse fish = lake being poisoned back in the day when they used to do that sort of thing.

Sofa King
05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
That is exactly what happened. Coarse fish = lake being poisoned back in the day when they used to do that sort of thing.

you don't think they still poison lakes?

doubled
05-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Haven't heard of it in a while, especially around here.

Deeboe
05-15-2013, 04:46 PM
I've heard the fishing is terrific, but the resort is far from modernized. Definitely on the rustic side to be polite. Conkle Lake on HWY 3 just before Rock Creek is great for fly fishing from canoe or belly boat, but a little further off the beaten path (45 mins from the pavement) but the campsites are clean and tidy and the lake is beautiful. Also you may want to try fly fishing the kettle--excellent--also if you are going further I hear the columbia is red hot these days.

Jack Russell
06-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Jewel Lake is full of fish that are relatively easy to catch on fly gear - chironomids or stripped leeches. Both brook trout and rainbows were abundant.

Unfortunately I never saw a fish over 13 inches long even while looking into the shoals, or while they were jumping.

It is full of itty bitty teeny weeny fish. Still great for the kids though as both kids had a chironomid rod out and got fish on the fly.

The resort is fine and the owners are good people trying to keep up with the times without charging an arm and a leg. They have great bathrooms and showers for those that are not staying in the cabins.