PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to south end of Chilko Lake?

allan
05-09-2013, 03:48 PM
My friends and I are in the fraser valley and are looking to do a camping, hiking trip to the south end of Chilko Lake.
Can anyone tell me what the road is like to the lake? We would like to put in with our boat and do a bit of exploring.
Many Thanks

Whonnock Boy
05-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Yes. The road to Nemiah/Chilko is fine. Count on 11 hours to the lake, maybe a little more. It is a large lake, and can blow up huge, so keep that in mind. Bring your rifles. Wolf and grizzly down there. It is not the most hospitable place to go exploring, and thick as all get out. I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. It is however, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

BradB
05-09-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm at the lake right now. No fresh bear sign yet, but I'm sure they'll start making their way down soon. The road in is in pretty good shape for a dirt road and the weather has been decent this last week. It was super windy middle of last week, though and I'm sure it will be again. This lake is not one I'd take lightly for exploring and the like.

allan
05-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Yes. The road to Nemiah/Chilko is fine. Count on 11 hours to the lake, maybe a little more. It is a large lake, and can blow up huge, so keep that in mind. Bring your rifles. Wolf and grizzly down there. It is not the most hospitable place to go exploring, and thick as all get out. I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. It is however, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
When you say 11 hours, Where are you starting from? We would like to boat down to the south end and get up into the mtns from there.

Whonnock Boy
05-09-2013, 11:23 PM
11 hours from the lower mainland to Chilko Lake. It has been a while since I was there last, but that seems to be what I remember. It might be a little less. Launching out of Nemiah, it did not take all that long to get to the end of the lake. If you don't mind, let me know how it goes. I'm curious if the creek/river has changed much.

dhog
05-10-2013, 06:51 PM
there was a good articall a few years ago in one of the local rags about canoe trip down chilko lake the author said that basically you had to get off the lake by noon because the wind and waves got to be dangerous for small craft I would suggest doing research into it good luck

dana
05-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Don't count on any trails being bucked out. The windthrow can really be a hinderance to gaining ground at any speed. I can attest to the power of that lake. It can definately kick your ass. Amazing country though.

wildcatter
05-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Been to Franklyn Arm a couple times but both were fly in on a float plane.
Moose, grizzly, black bears and goats.
I heard a guide set up business in there.
Incredible place, sure would like to go back again.

boxhitch
05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Visited Horn and Bluff lakes a little further west , always wanted to go back and explore further in that valley.
Amazing country , iirc we took 8 days to get to bella coola from WilliamsLake