PDA

View Full Version : Moose

CanAm500
01-01-2007, 12:49 PM
After eating moose for the first time in our lives, my family has agreed that we should get a moose.

Now were would be the best area in BC for a succesusful moose hunt?

SUAFOYT
01-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Pay your money and take your chances. If you can afford the time and the cost maybe try one of the few areas that still has an open season or an area that has the moose season for the 10 point. LEH is the crap shoot it's designed to be, and searching for only a spike fork can be extremely frustrating. You'll get lots of answers, so look for the one that suits you best and go for it. Good Luck.

CanAm500
01-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Most definatly it will be open season.

Now what area/region has the better open season. LIke SUAFOYT said, that doesnt have a spike bull rule. I was looking through the regs and I think Skeena is the only region without the spike rule.

SUAFOYT
01-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Most definatly it will be open season.

Now what area/region has the better open season. LIke SUAFOYT said, that doesnt have a spike bull rule. I was looking through the regs and I think Skeena is the only region without the spike rule.

Actually I think all regions have a spike fork season, but it's blended with LEH, calf only etc. Apparently the Burns Lake area has an open season somewhere or so I've been told. Also keep in mind vehicle restrictions ie quad use as this can limit where and when. We used to go around the Bowron area for years but with the road deactivation nonsense we're staying close to home base and have been lucky the last little while. We had contemplated going back to the Peace Area(around Groundbirch) and Stewart Lake area. Saw lots of moose but at that time was LEH only. With the 10 point rule it can be something of a gimme? Having said that I've probably hexed myself for years to come.:sad:

youngfellla
01-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Most of Region 6 is open for any bull from Oct 20-26. You have to pick your spots, as most of the FSRs are crawling with hunters during the open season.

Reg. 7A has the spike/fork season, Sept. 10- Nov 5, and a calf season Oct 10-25.

CanAm500
01-01-2007, 03:46 PM
We were thinking the august season in region 7B. As its open for Bulls.

mark
01-01-2007, 05:30 PM
We were thinking the august season in region 7B. As its open for Bulls.

Bring shorts, sandals, sunblock, flyswatters, hornetspray and an airconditioner for your shelter! :lol: (it is a pretty easy ticket for moose though!)

Schmaus
01-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I second on the hornet spray man there are a lot of hornets and wasps up there.

hunter1947
01-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Hudson Hope BC is a great area to hunt for moose and around Chetwynd BC. Get a back roads map of the area and go fill your boots ,Aug is the best time to hunt no antler restrictions till Sept ,hunter 1947.

browningboy
01-01-2007, 10:51 PM
The august hunt has its goods and bads as you previously read, another con about the august trip is keeping the meat cool, the freezers get booked up quick and you can run into problems and you're entire trip was somewhat wasted. Make sure you take enough time off for one, as the travelling will take up 3 days (sanely), research maps and talk to others you know that have hunted / fished up there, and prepare to spend lots of $$$, gas prices will be at 1.50/litre by then (ouch!).
Always look at the LEH's as well, people take out many moose in region 3, I personally know a guy thats gets big ones every year by clearwater (LEH) as the remoteness is huge (only access with jetboat).
Check your options, how you will hunt (foot, road, ATV etc..) as some territories will have lighter pressure for hikers / walkers than areas with lots of cutblocks with roads.
But yes region 7 is a great choice, but you have to put your time in, nothing comes easy.
Best of luck!8)

CanAm500
01-02-2007, 11:09 AM
What about the Okanagan for moose?

Good, bad???

NEEHAMA
01-02-2007, 11:24 AM
vancouver island for sure!:lol:

beeker
01-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Good, bad???

Hahaha! the Okanagan for moose... I like my chances better at winning the 649 than winning an LEH for moose here:sad:

Some spike-forks get shot but I'm sure most will agree that there is a lot of luck involved with the spike-fork season.

mark
01-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Good, bad???

hahhaha hahahaha hahha, sorry but beeker didnt make the point clear enough! I hunt lots, and hardly ever see moose, especially spike-fork (never seen one, even out of season) I had a buddy with a draw this year and we couldnt fill it!
What BB said about chetwynd, the meat lockers are usually full by the second day of season, and they were jacking their prices through the roof for the aug. guys! $20 a day just to hang em. $60 min! I used to do that hunt years ago, never again!

talver
01-02-2007, 06:16 PM
try later in the season in 7b point restictions in effect but less hunters and theres some rut closures my hunting partners and I have been pulling moose out of there for years plus you might get a crack at a elk. Did the August thing when I was young and foolish wont do that again if you paid me just my 2 cents

hunter1947
01-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Take a 400 watt generator and a deep freeze ,cut up your meat ,thats what we did ,the freezer got down to -11 after runing it for 30 min. hunter 1947.

mntman
01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Icpaint,

where to hunt moose, this is the question spending most of my hunting time scouting and hunting moose area 7b is very good for the donkey 101 is a good area, as is everywhere north stay to the south side there has been less pressure, hudson hope is also good there is a large pop everywhere, the aug hunt I have always stayed away from do to heat and number of hunters area 8 also has a good number of moose but they are in set areas and the locals keep those areas close to heart, for a great meat hunt pm me and I will give you a area to put in for a leh draw that is not as far has great odds and will always give great hunts and has always produced and has a very large number of spikes for others that don't have a draw.

The 'Hummer'
01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Actually I think all regions have a spike fork season, but it's blended with LEH, calf only etc. Apparently the Burns Lake area has an open season somewhere or so I've been told. Also keep in mind vehicle restrictions ie quad use as this can limit where and when. We used to go around the Bowron area for years but with the road deactivation nonsense we're staying close to home base and have been lucky the last little while. We had contemplated going back to the Peace Area(around Groundbirch) and Stewart Lake area. Saw lots of moose but at that time was LEH only. With the 10 point rule it can be something of a gimme? Having said that I've probably hexed myself for years to come.:sad:

Used to live @ Wells & still have a cabin @ Bowron Lake. If I get a draw, I hunt 5-15, if not I hunt 7-06 and look for a 'young stupid one' close to the road. My favorite is a 'deep freeze' Moose anyway.
Hard to beat a sirloin tip Moose roast, garlic mashed potatoes and a generous helping of Moose gravy.

Mini_Me
01-02-2007, 08:04 PM
My dad got a moose this season and I had some for the first time too.
Boy I loved!

CanAm500
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I hunt 5-15, if not I hunt 7-06

Ill go and look those MU's up. See in the regs...

mapguy
01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
your main moose areas are around quesnel , prince george over to huston and anyplace further north . If it,s really hot sit on a cut right at dark .

elkguide
01-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Hudson Hope BC is a great area to hunt for moose and around Chetwynd BC. Get a back roads map of the area and go fill your boots ,Aug is the best time to hunt no antler restrictions till Sept ,hunter 1947. If your lokking for a big bull, and your in Chetwynd prepare to go into the back country ( horse back is the way to go ) . You will find moose around the lower areas but pressure and all the seismic activity has really shut the bulls up the last 2 years. but........If you get way back off the path where the hellicopters aren't flyin you'll get a good one. Up North of Sikani chief is good too. Same thing, If you want a good bull get off the beaten path a bit. ( 2 years ago we found a great area that was within an Hour walk of the Highway and wow did we see some big bulls).

The 'Hummer'
01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Hahaha! the Okanagan for moose... I like my chances better at winning the 649 than winning an LEH for moose here:sad:

Some spike-forks get shot but I'm sure most will agree that there is a lot of luck involved with the spike-fork season.

A bit of a side issue, but once while tavelling the connector towards Kelowna, just on the east side of the truck brake check area, before you start heading down, the wife & I saw the BIGGEST Bull Moose I've probably ever seen!! It was walking along the protective fence. In an area & terrain like that, a big bull was the last thing I expected to see. Not exactly the 'traditional' type of country I've come to expect to see Moose in.
Oh, I like your Avater. I have one of the Manitoba Moose jersey's with that crest that I usually wear on my bike riding exercise sessions.

CanAm500
03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Lets bring this thread back to life.

your main moose areas are around quesnel , prince george over to huston and anyplace further north

What MU area is quesnel and prince george by. And is there any antler restrictions up there?

30-06
03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
try the fort fraser area...and if any one has info on the hudson hope/carbon lake area letter fly at me in either PM's Or on here

moosinaround
03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
early to mid rut in and around the north part of PG if you get LEH. Lots of nice bulls if you walk off the beaten path a bit. Mid Aug in the 7B peace area, but expect to see a lot of hunters up there. Very hot that time of year so ensure you have all the right gear, moose can turn green in a hurry if not cooled quickly. Lots of the Quesnel areas for moose are LEH, north west of quesnel good for moose, and deer. south west of PG good for moose and deer 7-10 to 7-15, but lots of hunters around the long weekends and the weeks prior and after. Just get out in the woods and strat imitating a lonely cow moose lookin for some action and you should find a moose. good luck Moosin.

wsm
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM
7b in aug is a good idea. check in to a neer by meat locker. make sure they have room , its hot up there at that time

browningboy
03-21-2007, 09:12 PM
If you want a moose, region 6 or 7, find an area that looks good on a map etc (and research) then look for sign etc. and go get um! What else can one say??:lol:

CanAm500
03-21-2007, 09:23 PM
This is just some homework. We are still going to apply for LEH. But if we dont get a draw then we need someplace to go and get one. :)

CanAm500
03-22-2007, 09:32 AM
How Merrit for moose. Is the chances of getting a spike fork bull fairly high?

willyqbc
03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
What MU area is quesnel and prince george by

quesnel area would be 5-13, 5-02 and 5-15, also bordering 7-06 and 7-08 to our north. All the region 5 moose are on LEH though.

Chris

3kills
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
the chances of spike forks any where are not pretty high...but it is do able....

CanAm500
03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
quesnel area would be 5-13, 5-02 and 5-15, also bordering 7-06 and 7-08 to our north. All the region 5 moose are on LEH though.

Chris

Alright, that gives some area to think about LEH.

Tinney
03-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I would stay farther north than Quesnel. The farther south you go from PG, the less moose you will find.
7-06 and 7-08 are hard units to hunt if you don't know them, which is why I left them out of my list.
5-02 and 5-13 are decent areas but I think the odds are much higher for these regions than the areas farther north.

3kills
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
5-02 and 5-13 are good ares and they usually have pretty decent odds....why would would say the farther south from pg u go the less moose...there is tons of moose in the merritt area and some of the biggest moose i have seen dead or alive have been in the merritt area....my uncle has shot moose here that are over 50 inch wide....his biggest moose was shot around here and he has hunted north lots....