PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to carry my firearm license with me when I take my rifle out hunting?

yakideath12
05-07-2013, 12:12 AM
I lost my wallet about a month ago and I sent a replacement application form to RCMP.

No sign of living, so I called them to check my application status.

As usual, the lady said, I need to wait little bit longer due to high volume .

I guess that Im going to get my license back when hunting season is over.

According to RCMP website, it only says restricted or prohibited firearms.

Any idea?? Q. Do I need to carry my licence and registration certificates with me when I take my firearms out hunting?The Criminal Code states that a firearms licence and a registration certificate for any restricted or prohibited firearms must be produced for the inspection of a peace officer. If these documents are not produced, the peace officer may seize the firearms. If that was the only reason the firearms were seized, and the required documents are produced for inspection within 14 days, the police are required to return the firearms

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/lic-per-eng.htm

bccanadian
05-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Without your firearms license, you cannot be in possession of a firearm. However if you are hunting with a partner and he is close enough to "supervise" as he would a newbie, you can go hunting using your own HUNTING license and tags. But he must stay with you while you are in possession of a firearm without a license.

As a side note, if you were to have your firearm seized as mentioned above, don't be surprised if its not as easy as the quoted paragraph says to get your gun back.

Gateholio
05-07-2013, 06:24 AM
There is no penalty for not carrying your PAL card with you when hunting. You must possess one and produce proof of possession if asked.

yakideath12
05-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Thank you all

Moosehunter64
05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
There is no such thing as registration for firearms any more so you are ok there,they were all suppose to be destroyed when the conservatives repealed the registration.As for you PAL I have never been asked for mine so don`t think you need to worry there.

MattTse
05-07-2013, 05:34 PM
EVERYTIME I have been asked to produce a pal. think about it, CO/police finds guys/girls with firearms... CO/police wonder if they are legally able to have guns... CO/police ask for proof. Proof=pal. The pal is the only thing that enables authorities to verify if u can have firearms when Internet/cell reception is out of the question.

its like asking do I need to Cary my drivers license on me when I drives vehicle. Same thing

Downwind
05-07-2013, 05:43 PM
There is no penalty for not carrying your PAL card with you when hunting. You must possess one and produce proof of possession if asked.

In other words if a cop asks to see your PAL when you're out hunting and you don't produce it expect to wear a new pair of bracelets, possibly :D

russm
05-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I would think so, I always have mine on me anyways, you never know when you might want to buy something that requires it.

RiverOtter
05-07-2013, 06:09 PM
If you're out hunting, does a valid hunting licence not count for possession of un-restricted firearms?

And if I'm not mistaken CO's and cops run on radio repeaters, if not satellite reception, so running your name with dispatch should not be a big deal...

olympia
05-07-2013, 06:19 PM
its always a good idea to have it on you, what will happen if you dont? well i guess each co/cop will treat the situation differently...hopefully you have a jar with some "lawyer funds in it", its like getting caught without a drivers license which has happened to me, the first time the cop took a pic of me and let me go with a stern warning, the other time i got a 65 dollar fine(this was years ago)

Steeleco
05-07-2013, 06:24 PM
If you have a copy of the document requesting a new one due to the loss, take it with you. It will show your licensed but are in the process of having it replaced. You may get a little grief, but at least your making an attempt to be honest. That should go a long way.

That said, getting stopped is rare, asking to see your PAL is more so. Since 98 when the BS was imposed upon us, I've not been asked to produce it ONCE!!

Gateholio
05-07-2013, 06:38 PM
its like asking do I need to Cary my drivers license on me when I drives vehicle. Same thing

Not the same thing. You can get a fine for not carrying your DL when driving, not so with not carrying a PAL

In other words if a cop asks to see your PAL when you're out hunting and you don't produce it expect to wear a new pair of bracelets, possibly :D

No, but it's possible that he seizes your firearm until you provide evidence that you have a PAL. He can also check through his system to verify it.

If you're out hunting, does a valid hunting licence not count for possession of un-restricted firearms?

And if I'm not mistaken CO's and cops run on radio repeaters, if not satellite reception, so running your name with dispatch should not be a big deal...

BC used to have a requirement that a person either posses a BC firearms liscence or a hutnign license to carry/transport a non restricted firearm. That was replaced by the PAL scheme.

If you have a copy of the document requesting a new one due to the loss, take it with you. It will show your licensed but are in the process of having it replaced. You may get a little grief, but at least your making an attempt to be honest. That should go a long way.

That said, getting stopped is rare, asking to see your PAL is more so. Since 98 when the BS was imposed upon us, I've not been asked to produce it ONCE!!

Good advice!

nano
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
The RCMP came out to a field that I was hunting and the first thing they wanted to see was my pal. If I did not have it I think it would have been a long day, so I say make sure you have it or get some type of document to state that you have a pal.

mudduck
05-07-2013, 08:20 PM
be careful yak youre gonna be illegal by the law....my pal runs out in december....i called and the papers are on thier way...cya...your situation is different....be a pest...but in a polite way lol

yakideath12
05-07-2013, 10:44 PM
I wrote down my pal # on the note in case something happens.

I should call RCMP tomorrow regarding take my rifle out hunting without pal card.

Thank you all who replied

Gateholio
05-08-2013, 03:31 AM
The RCMP are just going to tell you that you should surrender your guns to them until you get a new PAL. Don't involve them.

Downwind
05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Here you go, straight from page 9 of the regs:

FEDERAL FIREARMS LEGISLATION
- A BC hunting licence does not give
authority to carry a firearm.
- For information on the Canadian Firearm
Licence, contact Canadian Firearm Centre at
1-800-731-4000 or visit the website at
www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/.

Mauser98
05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I wrote down my pal # on the note in case something happens.

I should call RCMP tomorrow regarding take my rifle out hunting without pal card.

Thank you all who replied

You are still the holder of a PAL even though you aren't currently in possession of one. Do not involve the RCMP. It may not end well. I you're nervous about going into the field without one, don't. Wait until you get the replacement.

Phreddy
05-08-2013, 09:33 PM
One more reason why I keep a photo copy of every single firearm related permit, license, etc. etc. in my safe deposit box. Everything in my wallet. That way if my wallet gets ripped off I at least have proof that I have all of these docs. It makes it easier for the renewal/replacement of them, and is ample proof for any law enforcement type to confirm that I am within the law.

hunter1947
05-09-2013, 02:02 AM
One more reason why I keep a photo copy of every single firearm related permit, license, etc. etc. in my safe deposit box. Everything in my wallet. That way if my wallet gets ripped off I at least have proof that I have all of these docs. It makes it easier for the renewal/replacement of them, and is ample proof for any law enforcement type to confirm that I am within the law.

X2 this is what I have done..

yakideath12
05-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Just checked that replacement fee charged on my credit card yesterday. Hopefully I get my licence back next week .

Thank you all again .

mudduck
05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
getting aweful sad and silly though !!!!!

Rubicon500
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
You can do a couple things , grab your gun and go out enjoy yourself , or you can sit at home and think about how much fun you could have. Seeing as in 9 years Ive had to present my PAL maybe 2 times I say go for it , live a little.

Gateholio
05-09-2013, 06:50 PM
You can do a couple things , grab your gun and go out enjoy yourself , or you can sit at home and think about how much fun you could have. Seeing as in 9 years Ive had to present my PAL maybe 2 times I say go for it , live a little.

x2

Especially as you are breaking no law by hunting without your PAL in your pocket.

If it was me I'd go hunting.

yakideath12
05-10-2013, 01:53 AM
I am leaving in 2 hours for blackie
wish me a good luck guyz!

bccanadian
05-11-2013, 02:12 PM
I am leaving in 2 hours for blackie
wish me a good luck guyz!

So, how did you do? Any luck?

yakideath12
05-12-2013, 01:16 AM
First one of 2013

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yakideath12/a1f5dcc4-9225-46fa-a4b6-01ed629376d6.jpg (http://s463.photobucket.com/user/yakideath12/media/a1f5dcc4-9225-46fa-a4b6-01ed629376d6.jpg.html)
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yakideath12/20130507_174532.jpg (http://s463.photobucket.com/user/yakideath12/media/20130507_174532.jpg.html)
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yakideath12/20130507_182510.jpg (http://s463.photobucket.com/user/yakideath12/media/20130507_182510.jpg.html)

bccanadian
05-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Congrats. Any story to this?

yakideath12
05-12-2013, 03:20 AM
I am not a good writter but here is my story.

I left house around 4 am to the spot where I wanted to explore this spring.

It was about 10 km hiking trip according to my gps .

My original plan was driving main road but there was heavy logging activity so I decided to hike one of fsr.

I did not expect to see a bear since there wasnt much green on the side of trail and also no signs.

Well.. It was about 1hour into hiking, finally this one gave me a hope

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yakideath12/20130507_153557.jpg (http://s463.photobucket.com/user/yakideath12/media/20130507_153557.jpg.html)

I was about to hike back after 2hours into hiking and saw something black dot in front of me about 200

yards away .

Stopped and took out my bino to see exactly what it is.

Woow Bear!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Since wind was blowing towards me, I decided to get little bit closer to check out size of the bear clearly. Sat down

and watched him about 20mins eating something on the side of trail.

This was what this guy was eating ( Im not sure what this is)

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq354/yakideath12/20130507_174742.jpg (http://s463.photobucket.com/user/yakideath12/media/20130507_174742.jpg.html)

After a while, I decided to take it down since there was no sign of cubs around.

150 grain 270wsm knock him out pretty hard. Didnt have to place second shot on him.

Skinned and placed meat on snow to cool it down.

Hiked back to the car and took a cigarette out to celebrate myself!! :) too bad I dont drink.

Well!!

Good starting 2013 season for me

I wish every HBC members enjoy their 2013 season !

Good luck to all of you!!

bccanadian
05-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Good story, short and covers all of the points.

betteroffishing
05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
ummm ,... its 2013 still . am i missing something ?

betteroffishing
05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
nice bear , great read up thx

guntech
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Did you have to produce a valid PAL to buy your hunting license? No...

Your provincial hunting license allows you to hunt, it does not allow you to possess a firearm.

If you have a firearm in your possession, you are also supposed to be able to produce your PAL if asked by a LEO. If you are not able to produce your PAL it may cause a delay in your hunting activity.

I don't understand why one would not carry your PAL all the time, every where...

Ry151
05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
i have photo copys of it in my pack with my hunting license and tags, that way if i get caught without my wallet i have something to show them. Might not help at all but havent had to use them yet

yakideath12
05-12-2013, 11:07 PM
lol my bad

my brain wasnt good working condition yesterday lol:)

yakideath12
05-12-2013, 11:09 PM
I used to bring my pal with me all the time but while I was steelhead fishing, I dumped my wallet into river accidently so..

I am waiting for my pal card .

guntech
05-13-2013, 06:14 PM
I guess you shouldn't carry your fishing license in your wallet... or were you making a purchase?

Peter Pepper
05-14-2013, 09:42 AM
The greens the bear was eating are dandelions.
Good bear, good story. My favorite bit was the part about having a smoke after a long hike. Too bad nothing to drink.