PDA

View Full Version : How to hunt black bear Spot/Stalk

dak0ta
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi,

An experienced friend of mine is bringing me out for some black bear hunting. He said we're going to do the spot & stalk method. Those of you familiar with this could you explain what the process is and how far off will bears see you before running off? What kind of distances are most shots taken on bear? I'm bringing a .308 Savage 99 and .30-30 Marlin. I have a 4x scope on the .30-30 shooting 170gr and irons on the .308 shooting 150 gr. What is the better choice depending on the range that you can stalk a bear?

Tanya
05-06-2013, 01:24 PM
It is all about the wind, play the wind. Move when they have their head down or looking away. Most bears are not long shots, should be able in most cases to get into the 100 yard range or closer.

andrewscag
05-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I'd say the best rifle is the one you shoot best with. Typical range depends on your stalking skills, but I can't imagine ever pulling the trigger over 100 yards. 50 yards is probably close to average IMO, with bow hunters getting much closer

604redneck
05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
.50 bmg......nothing less will do

Mr. Dean
05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Keep the wind in your face and if you play it right, it's not at all impracticable to kick one in the ass.
So bring a bat or a bowie knife instead.

dak0ta
05-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Also, what's the best way to extract claws from the paws? Do you just take a saw and hack off the foot, cut off as much tissue and fur as possible, then boil until the claw can be pulled off?

steel_ram
05-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Not letting them smell you is number 1. It's possible to get really close if the set-up is right. If they're moving try to intercept. If they're feeding in one spot use the lay of the land to stay concealed. Keep track of where they are, often they're harder to spot up close than where you'd originally spotted them from.

junkyard_g
05-06-2013, 05:28 PM
45min low boil with no more than last digit and a little hair and gristle still attached.
Take out and get everything off you can. should only be a tiny bit of grisle/tendon when your done.
1hr low boil with 1/2 cup arm and hammer washing soda.
take out and while running under warm water pickup off remainder of gunk. Also, VERY LIGHTLY scrape the claw with your finger nail to remove the film. Too hard and youll damage the nail.
Probably not the best method but thats what i do.

monasheemountainman
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Look for poop find bear shoot bear

junkyard_g
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
As far as stalking keep your wind in check and try to put an object between and dont sihlouette yourself when appraoching. Dont move when they are looking at you. If you are starting to spook them they will generally square off towards you to get a better look before bolting. if you spook one off the road in the spring just drive by to just out of site, wait 2-5min and walk back. they'll usually be right back out on the same patch (sometimes you'll even see them come back out in the rear view). See that all the time at work.

steel_ram
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Just don't move if they're looking at you. Stand in the open, on a ridge if you want. It's a bear. Just don't let them get a whiff of you or there gone. They are the easiest big game in NA to hunt.

TheProvider
05-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Stalk as close as you comfortable with. The closer you are the better chamce of making sure its not a sow and cubs. Cubs can be snoozing near by just out of sight.

BearSupreme
05-06-2013, 07:57 PM
the easiest way to get the claws off is cut half way through the finger pads. Theres a joint in there, once you get the hang of where it is they come off real easy. Dont add bleech because the nail part will fall off the bone part. The boiling method posted earlier in this post is a good way to do it.
Cheers