PDA

View Full Version : Deboaning bears

russm
05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Haven't had any luck finding a de-boaning thread for black bears, it looks like I'll be getting my bear solo this year and I would imagine it'd be easier doing myself this way than dragging it whole. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

r106
05-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Iv never done it but I would assume it would be the same as a deer, moose or elk

russm
05-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Lol I've also never done any of those, only had my license for a couple seasons and got skunked last year, my first deer went in whole.

finngun
05-05-2013, 03:32 PM
is deboaning [butchering] legal to do in the bush? i was told it is illegal..:confused:

lightmag
05-05-2013, 03:39 PM
same as any other 4 legged animal fo rdeboning! yes it's legal ??? just either pack hide out or have some hide attached to some parts for ID.

Surrey Boy
05-05-2013, 03:40 PM
is deboaning [butchering] legal to do in the bush? i was told it is illegal..:confused:

On what basis?

TheProvider
05-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Its same as deboning any other big game animal. You still need proof of sex for deer, moose, elk

warnniklz
05-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Just have to take edible parts

Just debone it like a deer or anything else

russm
05-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Soo do you basically start just whacking meat off the critter until you're down to a skeleton more or less?

warnniklz
05-05-2013, 04:17 PM
pretty much, I like to start in the pits and everything falls off pretty easily, the run your knife down either side of the spine and you got your back straps. Don't worry about the ribs if you don't want them

r106
05-05-2013, 04:29 PM
google the gutless method. That will get you halfway there. Then cut down each leg and separate from the bone but remember to leave proof of sex . I have never boned out an animal in the field but I have done the gutless method and it is awesome

TheProvider
05-05-2013, 04:32 PM
think of it as filleting a fish. Keep track which parts are what. You dont want to turn your choice cuts into ground meat and vice versa

r106
05-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Deboning and butchering is not the same thing. ex - butchering you have your steaks and roasts cut off. deboning your quarters are still whole just no bone

Whonnock Boy
05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Do what this guy does, and you'll be golden. Pretty much the same with a bear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

BearSupreme
05-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Unless you have an absolute cow of a bear id try to get it out whole. If it is too big to lift into the back of your truck, id gut it and cut it into 2. To do that the easy way, cut through the last joint before the rib cage. Stick your knife right into it and wiggle it back and forth until you feel it release and then cut the flank (side skin) down to the spine on either side and then twist the hip portion off the front portion. This way you keep your shortloin in tact and you can take the time to cut it right when you get home.
Im a butcher, and this works great for making a big animal half the size. This way you can take it home and hang it for a day or 2 without messing it all up in the bush, not to mention the dirt and everything else you'll get on it while deboning in the bush.
Hope this helps, PM me if you need more instructions

boxhitch
05-05-2013, 08:05 PM
This way you keep your shortloin in tact and you can take the time to cut it right when you get home.Thatsa a poor reason to pack all that weight out.
IMO leave the bones in the bush unless you are going to boil them up for soup.
The shortloin comes out easy

boxhitch
05-05-2013, 08:07 PM
is deboaning [butchering] legal to do in the bush? i was told it is illegal..:confused:Thats funny right there :)

BearSupreme
05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Thatsa a poor reason to pack all that weight out.
IMO leave the bones in the bush unless you are going to boil them up for soup.
The shortloin comes out easy

For me its worth packing the extra weight for the higher quality meat at the end. I can hang it for a day or 2, depending on weather, and not have to worry about trimming all of my boned-out meat. Ive got a good meat cutting set up at home and im not bothered by flys and other bugs in my garage. Ive cut up boned out meat from hunters, and it doesnt look half as good as if we cut it off the animal in a shop, and much less waste compared to the grass covered, hairy loins we receive in bags or buckets.
Either way works, but I wont be changing my routine anytime soon :)

russm
05-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I sent you a pm bearsupreme

boxhitch
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah I can imagine what some of the game looks like. There is a right way and a wrong way
IMO there is no more trimming of meat after it is in the game bags for a couple days , with air dried there sure is.
You must feel bear is better if hanged for a while ?

finngun
05-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Thats funny right there :)
butchering is not only funny,,,but it is illegal to do in the bush:mrgreen:

BearSupreme
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Yeah I can imagine what some of the game looks like. There is a right way and a wrong way
IMO there is no more trimming of meat after it is in the game bags for a couple days , with air dried there sure is.
You must feel bear is better if hanged for a while ?

Definitely a lot of difference between meat when you work at a game shop. Ive seen some decent loins brought in in peices. You gotta do what you gotta do, if your 400lbs animal is down a cliff, theres only so much you can do, but if I can I like to hang my animals as long as I can. I wont leave them for more than a day if it doesnt get below 10 at night because theres a fine line between aging and roting. My last whitetail I left for 7 days before I cut it, but it was about 1º-7º the whole time and it turned out great. My bears last year was in late june and I cut it the next morning. It still turned out pretty good, but it wasnt as tender as other bears ive been able to store in coolers for 5-7 days. I find the taste gets a bit better and definitely gets more tender. Elk and moose you definitely want to leave it for a week or more if you can or else it will be quite a bit tougher.
When you debone in the bush, do you let it cool off before you bag it? Or do you wrap it in bed sheets so it can cool and wont dry out much?

killman
05-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Why does a bear need evidence of sex?

Salty
05-05-2013, 09:04 PM
butchering is not only funny,,,but it is illegal to do in the bush:mrgreen:

No one's talking about butchering just deboning which is perfectly legal for any animal we hunt. Some animals need a patch of fur or proof of sex etc. attached to one of the chunks of meat some don't. Its all in the regs of course.

Ambush
05-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Why does a bear need evidence of sex?

So he has something to brag about at the pre-hibernation bash thrown by the older boars. :mrgreen:

BiG Boar
05-05-2013, 10:05 PM
No one's talking about butchering just deboning which is perfectly legal for any animal we hunt. Some animals need a patch of fur or proof of sex etc. attached to one of the chunks of meat some don't. Its all in the regs of course.

Which animals don't need a patch of fur or proof of sex attached?

Salty
05-05-2013, 10:31 PM
snowshoe hare, black bear to name a couple but like said check the regs. I'm just some toad on the intertubes

fyffer
05-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Practice. I went on my first hunt ever solo with a buddy that has never hunted also. we got two bears. First one did OK. 2 and one was a breeze. just take your time. Quarter it and go from there. I did this all in the bush.

ryanb
05-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Which animals don't need a patch of fur or proof of sex attached?

Bears for one. In fact no animals need hide attached if you have the portion of the head which bears the antlers (or doesn't as the case may be). Can't get over all the wrong information you read in a thread about regulations. Page 20 in the regs. Read for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

BiG Boar
05-06-2013, 06:55 AM
You're right I did see a list of animals that need to have things attached. Then there is this:

NOTE: It is not an offence to possess bear
genitalia attached to the hide or carcass, and,
after it is no longer needed on a bear carcass
as evidence of sex, the genitalia may be
removed from the hide at the above locations if immediately destroyed and disposed
of at that location.

boxhitch
05-06-2013, 07:07 AM
another of the puzzles in the regs
Bear is not on the list on pg 20 , and pg 8 says it is illegal to possess or transport genetalia.
And why would it be necessary ? Sows are open season too , in the right circumstances.

boxhitch
05-06-2013, 07:16 AM
When you debone in the bush, do you let it cool off before you bag it? Or do you wrap it in bed sheets so it can cool and wont dry out much?The chunks of meat off a bear/sheep/goat/wt are pretty small without the bone.
Using game begs, pillow cases or cheese cloth , something breathable , each bag is maybe 20-25 lbs ? Easy to hang overnight or spread out on a surface somewhere cool. Its best to get the temp down as soon as reasonable.

BiG Boar
05-06-2013, 07:18 AM
It says its not illegal to posses bear genetailia attached to the hide or carcass. But it must be disposed of once not needed. I think the only time it's needed is for grizzly compulsory inspection?

its funny that in the QCI evidence of sex is needed on deer, even though you can take either sex.

Mr. Dean
05-06-2013, 09:29 AM
But when would you NEED genitalia on a bear?
The only reason I can think of is for a Compulsory Inspection.... (?).

BiG Boar
05-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeesh! I've always kept proof of sex and hair on my black bears. Glad to not have to do that anymore. Learn something here every day.

Mr. Dean
05-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Yeesh! I've always kept proof of sex and hair on my black bears. Glad to not have to do that anymore. Learn something here every day.

I thinks some hair is a good idea, just to ensure ID of the species...
After all, a bag of meat looks just like, a bag of meat. :lol:

russm
05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the pointers, some useful info so far.

russm
05-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Ok so now to point this thread in another direction, if I can find the right bear I'd like to get a rug made does anyone know of a good diagram or something I could look at or even just a good explanation and I can wing it from there? Thanks.

Gateholio
05-06-2013, 08:46 PM
I was told by a CO they like to see evidence of sex to ensure that you didn't shoot a lactating sow. How valid that is I don't know, but I have never shot a sow anyway. I leave the penis attached to one part of the bear, just like leaving the evidence of sex attached to a deer or moose quarter. It's easy and doesn't weigh much anyway.

BiG Boar
05-06-2013, 09:23 PM
After all, a bag of meat looks just like, a bag of meat. :lol:

Great, so this thread goes from Deboaning bears to bemoaning hairs.

boxhitch
05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
After all, a bag of meat looks just like, a bag of meat. :lol:Hannibal comes to mind.

BearSupreme
05-07-2013, 12:16 PM
As long as you aren't reboning bears, I think you're all good ;)