PDA

View Full Version : Russel Range 7-40

geoskier
05-05-2013, 08:26 AM
My girlfriend and I are planning a sheep trip to the Russel Range this August. I was wondering if anyone has any experience hunting there (north of Pelly Lake). I am not looking for anyone's specific spots. I have been consulting biologist reports and google earth heavily and I feel that this area holds promise for having a hunt without the company of other hunters (significant concern for me) as well as decent stone sheep population. It also looks like a beautiful area to spend a couple of weeks. Just curious about these things:

my concerns over vandalism of my truck from the Fort Ware/Tsey Keh crowd ect...
I have heard reports of a jerk-off outfitter in the area
hunting pressure (I assume it isn't nearly as high as other hike in areas near Dease and AK Hwy)
August weather (my experience in 7-38 is that it is fairly nice and my experience in the Halfway area to the east is the same).
Trails... are there significant horse trails. More concerned about getting from end of logging road into subalpine as the entire range seems to be fairly high.
North or South... both have access but the middle of the range seems a lot harder to access.

Please send a PM if you care to share and I can extrapolate a bit on my plans too. I can trade info on excellent goat spots in 7-38/6-22 and I promise to follow up with a trip report.

Thanks!