PDA

View Full Version : prop question on 115 merc

willyqbc
05-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Hi all, need a little technical expertise from any folks on here who know the inner workings of the new merc 4 strokes. I have a brand new 115 and have had it on the water a couple time dor some motor break in time. Happened to notice the other day that there is lateral movement in my prop....what I mean by that is the prop will move back and forth on the shaft approx 1/16". Now, I have replaced props in the past on older motors, 25hp and under and they have always been snug with no end play. I am suspecting the dealership mechanic forgot to put in the thrust washer behind the prop. I just want to be sure that this is not normal for new model year motors, is this some new design innovation and its supposed to be that way, or is it a poor install as I suspect it is??Any info appreciatedThanksChris

f350ps
05-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I would call the dealer and ask, better than screwing something up cuz some HBC mechanic said it was okay! jmho K

Sako7
05-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Assuming it has a new style 2 piece hub it just needs to be retorqued. The prop would not go on the with the new style "flotorq" hub if the rear spacer washer is missing. I find the new props need need to be way overtightened to seat the plastic hub bushing when it is initially installed or play can develop.

longstonec
05-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Sometimes they do wiggle a little bit. but sometimes the hubs dont get installed properly. One out of every 30 props I use the hubs arent pressed in propperly.
I dont over tighten props on Yamahas, and i do them snug on mercs. you do need to be able to undo them if you need to. Never hurts to call and ask your dealer.

Jagermeister
05-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Chris, a couple of links for you coming in on your email. Same email address?