PDA

View Full Version : Using thumb instead of traditional 3 finger release

Blk Arrow
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
As a compound finger shooter, (read dinosaur) I am aware that my 3 greatest enemies are the 3 fingers on my right hand. I draw with 3 but point my index finger down my arrow at full draw and only release with 2 fingers under the nock. Recently I came across a video of an archer doing speed shooting. He was right handed but the arrow was on the right hand side of the riser. Further research revealed this to be a Turkish technique. ( A friend also says Mongolian) The arrow is is drawn with the thumb and locked over with the index finger. I played with it a little bit using a club left hand recurve the other night and it is interesting. I do not shoot traditional, in spite of Greybark's best efforts. The dilemma I'm facing is, do I invest time and effort into exploring this method further? possibly with a compound. Has anyone else tried this technique and what did you find?

As a side note I tried a 1 finger release at the suggestion of a friend several years ago. He claimed to be getting better groups with this method. He was right, until I got to a point where I needed to let down. I was unable to get any other fingers back on the string and nearly dislocated my traffic finger.

greybark
05-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Hey Blk Arrow , You need a "thumb Ring" to shoot that way . Lots of U-Tube video with trad bows , not aware of compounds being shot that way .
Just came to mind that your avoidence of trad gear may be the threat of being out shot by your Daughter . LOL LOL
Cheers

J_T
05-04-2013, 07:46 PM
I agree with Greybark. Without a thumb ring your thumb joint will be taking all the stress. A thumb is the only thing differentiating us from Monkeys. Don't wreck your thumb.

greybark
05-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey Blk Arrow , there will be demonstrations of the thumb ring and the asociated bows at Rock Ck !!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers , Still trying . LOL

Blk Arrow
05-12-2013, 03:41 PM
I agree with Greybark. Without a thumb ring your thumb joint will be taking all the stress. A thumb is the only thing differentiating us from Monkeys. Don't wreck your thumb.
I appreciate the concern. People often mistake the crew I work with as monkeys. For years we have been called knuckle dragging hairy butted apes. We had a high school biology teacher call us "a bunch of juvenile primates". Every one is over 50 and she is married to one so we believe her to be qualified in her assessment.

Sorry Greybark, I can't make Rock Creek as have family commitments that weekend. Would love to see a demo though.

bugler
05-12-2013, 08:40 PM
You will not achieve the kind of accuracy that most trigger shooters can get but you should be able to get decent hunting accuracy out to about 40 yards with much practise. I draw and shoot (compound) with 3 fingers (two under one over) and in the end it seems to be the best way with compound, for me and most others I've seen anyway.

For me it is worth the effort to maintain my level of accuracy with fingers. Compared to most I can draw and aim faster and I have one less piece of equipment to possibly fail. I think I practise more than the average dude though.

Riverbc
05-13-2013, 07:29 AM
People often mistake the crew I work with as monkeys. For years we have been called knuckle dragging hairy butted apes.

Actually...that sounds like a pretty accurate description! ;)