PDA

View Full Version : What happens when?

Untouchable
12-31-2006, 06:50 PM
So you're out ten klicks from your truck and you drop a big muley/elk whatever...and you have to quarter it up to get it out. My question is how do I quarter it so that the CO can Identify it as the proper sex?

mikek blacktail
12-31-2006, 06:55 PM
leave one testicle on each back quarter and a two inche piece of hair on the other quarters ,I think the rules changed a bit this year for the better but if your unsure call the c.o.

mark
12-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Just do what i always do... go get the truck or quad and get em out whole! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fisher-Dude
12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Just do what i always do... go get the truck or quad and get em out whole! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Easy when ya use yer range finder and don't shoot if they are further than the winch cable reaches Mark! :wink:

mark
12-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Ahhh now i have a use for my rangefinder! Ill keep that in mind for next year!

.308win
12-31-2006, 11:00 PM
leave one testicle on each back quarter and a two inche piece of hair on the other quarters ,I think the rules changed a bit this year for the better but if your unsure call the c.o.

X2, Plus your probably going to pack the antlers out also.

.308win
12-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Also happy new year to everyone!...Stay out of trouble and talk to ya next year! LOL!

ruger#1
12-31-2006, 11:06 PM
get a co to help you bring it out and you should be okay.snicker snicker HAPPY NEW YEAR

Blktail
01-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Just like moose.
Leave a piece of the penis or a testicle on each of the hinds. Keep the antlers with the carcas if there are restrictions like 4-points or better. Leave a bit of hide on the front quarters.

Or get a CO to help pack it out!:)

Schmaus
01-01-2007, 10:59 AM
With moose we have always just left the nuts on one quarter and then nothing else on the other three and the horns. We have been checked a few times and nothing has been said except have a good day.

huntcoop
01-01-2007, 11:07 AM
This is what the regs state as a Major Regulation Change & Highlight for 2006/2007........

Possession and Transportation - The requirements for possession of carcass have changed in order to allow hunters the choice of using antlers (or horns in the case of mountain sheep) or sex parts and hide for evidence of species and sex. Evidence of species (ie: patch of hide) no longer has to be attached to each part of the carcass; when required, it must be naturally attached to one part of the carcass in the person's possession. See page 20.

bsa30-06
01-01-2007, 11:39 AM
get a co to help you bring it out and you should be okay.snicker snicker HAPPY NEW YEAR

But there's never a CO around when you need one.!!!!

browningboy
01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Just pack it out, if you can't identify the first quater, the co will gladly follow or wait for the rest, and mabeyhe can help and you could gang poll the rest out!
No one will give you a hard time on this if you follow the previous suggestions and use common sense, its very basic, as long as you can clearly identify it, no worries.

Deaddog
01-01-2007, 02:55 PM
according to the regs, (change was made this year) you need only to have evidence of sex and hide attached to one part of the carcass, we have always left evidence of sex attached to one quarter, and then a chunk of hide on each quarter, as well as the antlers , no problems with co's so far

Fisher-Dude
01-01-2007, 04:02 PM
according to the regs, (change was made this year) you need only to have evidence of sex and hide attached to one part of the carcass, we have always left evidence of sex attached to one quarter, and then a chunk of hide on each quarter, as well as the antlers , no problems with co's so far

I've always done what Deaddog does. A 6 cm2 piece of hide on each of the 4 knuckles, and evidence of sex on the hinds, along with the antlers. Remember, antlers in many (most) cases must accompany the species license. Heck, I keep all my antlers in all cases, even the spikers have a story behind them! :)

I also pack out my quarters intact, rather than boning them out, but that's just me. When my ram finally goes down, it may be a different story! 8-)

hunter1947
01-01-2007, 06:19 PM
It is as simple as this ,you leave the sex on bouth sides of the rear quarters ,hunter 1947.

steel_ram
01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
The CO's basically want to be able to piece the parts together so they know they came from the same animal of the correct sex. There have been cases where parts don't match up and if the authorities have suspections, can go one step further and scientifically prove it. That's why boning out in the field can be questionable.

I learnt the hardway. We let some "experienced" hunters help bone out an elk which we ended up taking into the butchers in 8 or so parts. Balls and horns were there but we still got a call from a CO who had visited the shop. We convinced the CO, whom we knew that there was no foul play.

alremkin
01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Yes, that does seem to be the main problem of shooting a large animal 10k or so in the bush. By deboning it you can save a trip packing and since I don't eat bone, it's what I'll do next time a long pack-out is required. Of course I'd still leave evidnece of sex and bring out the antlers, hopefully it's got big ones after shooting it way back in the bush.:)

Blktail
01-01-2007, 11:21 PM
I got a warning from the CO's when I had an eagle take a nut of a hind of a moose. The other hind had a nut and we had antlers. The CO was nice though. He wrote a note for the met lockers to accept it without the nut.

Rules are rules. Some CO's are nice and some are picky, but right.

mapguy
01-03-2007, 09:48 AM
we had two bucks on our rig this year both had the nuts and a little hide .no horns though the co was pissed off that i didn't leave the horns on they were in one piece . You can,t make them happy .

elkguide
01-03-2007, 05:47 PM
So you're out ten klicks from your truck and you drop a big muley/elk whatever...and you have to quarter it up to get it out. My question is how do I quarter it so that the CO can Identify it as the proper sex? Your kiddin right? Leave a nut on each quarter.