PDA

View Full Version : Meat hauler

Sitkaspruce
05-02-2013, 09:48 PM
So after watch the young guys pack out the moose last year using my old pack frame, I have decided to look into a little better one so they are no so uncomfortable when they pack out my moose this year....

I am looking for a simple meat hauler, I don't need the bag as I already have a couple of those.
I have looked at Bull packs and and although I like the design, I have heard they are uncomfortable with a big load and I don't want the hear the young guys bitch after a day of meat packing.

Any other suggestions that will be great, but will not brake the bank....after all I am not that nice......

Thanks

Cheers

SS

Brambles
05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Tatonka is a great meat hauler, stands up on its own making it easy to load solo. Super strong and very comfortable. I had half a caribou and my spike camp in mine easily 150lbs + with no issues.

Everett
05-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Tatonka is a great meat hauler, stands up on its own making it easy to load solo. Super strong and very comfortable. I had half a caribou and my spike camp in mine easily 150lbs + with no issues.

For a guy on a budget a Tatonka is a great choice.

Ry151
05-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Tatonka is great for hauling meat only and is a good price

Fred1
05-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Mystery Ranch. Mucho comfort!

boxhitch
05-03-2013, 06:15 AM
Camp Trails has probably packed more meat over the last few decades than any other pack , hands down

Weatherby Fan
05-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Cabelas Alaskan Guide frame is also very comfortable and would be ideal for your boys, can pick up used ones fairly cheap on ebay.

WH&H
05-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Kelty Cache Hauler is about the best frame I've used for the price. $149 at Wholesale Sports. Well designed and very sturdy.

Sitkaspruce
05-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Kelty Cache Hauler is about the best frame I've used for the price. $149 at Wholesale Sports. Well designed and very sturdy.

From what I have read Kelty is a big supporter of anti-hunting, giving money to support the wolves in the US, support to the Sierra club and the CEO sits on the board of one of the anti-hunting boards in the US.

Other than Deakins, AJ Brooks and a couple surplus stores, who sells the Tatonka Lastenkraxe in Canada??

Cheers

SS

Brambles
05-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I got mine from Valhalla Pure Outfitters.

wlbc
05-04-2013, 07:36 AM
There is an old time Hardware store in Vernon, name is escaping me so someone jump in with the name,and Surplus Herby's in Kamloops and Vernon often have them.

The hardware in Vernon will order them in and ship them to you IIRC.

05-04-2013, 07:53 AM
There is an old time Hardware store in Vernon, name is escaping me so someone jump in with the name,and Surplus Herby's in Kamloops and Vernon often have them.

The hardware in Vernon will order them in and ship them to you IIRC.

Would that be Fisher's Hardware you are referring to? Those boyz are hunters big time so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

boxhitch
05-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Fishers has them in stock , and can order other items.
Right beside the Miendls and Lowas
(shameless plug)

wlbc
05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Fisher's, yes thank you.

That is about the coolest hardware store I know.

wlbc
05-04-2013, 11:30 AM

I've hauled a fair amount of meat with my Tatonka as well. Excellent yet not too expensive pack. A couple of years ago, because of a successful morning, I had to make four trips up a mountain. You really get well aquainted with a pack when one is humping meat for 10 hours - I have no complaints.

Those Cabelas Alaskan Guides are essentially a glorified 35 year old CampTrails pack. I bought one before my Tatonka and could not get it to adjust to my frame. If you are under 6"2" and not too broad it would be okay but still the older style. I returned mine. At 6'4" with an xxl chest it does not fit.

One of my hunting partners has one of those Bull-Pac packs and he loves it. Looks like a fine pack and well made.

Dirty
05-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Wholesale sports has the Tatonka frames now.

Lionhill
05-04-2013, 09:30 PM
I know you said pack, but...

http://www.sasquatchfabrications.com/img_1815.jpg

Blacktail
05-05-2013, 06:30 AM
I have an older frame and moose bag pack (not sure of the brand name) that I got from wholesale sports MANY years ago and it has packed out a lot of meat in its years
I have packed out whole quartered up bears, muledeer,blacktails,and whitetails, and even moose and elk parts.
what didnt fit in the bag got strapped to the outside in game bags.
It hasnt let me down yet.

Yak
05-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Ive got a load sling on order for my nice frame, save your money!
maybe Ill get some camo pants too....

Jagermeister
05-05-2013, 09:09 PM

http://www.sasquatchfabrications.com/img_1815.jpgThat was on my mind. Saw the guys with a booth displaying at the Kamloops gunshow. Was on the hunt for some articles and intended to return to have a look and forgot.

358mag
05-05-2013, 09:32 PM
http://www.helicopter.su/assets/images/novosti/2012/bell_206b_1.jpg

Jagermeister
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
http://www.helicopter.su/assets/images/novosti/2012/bell_206b_1.jpg

Illegal unless you are in Kyrgyzstan of one of it's surrounding neighbours.
There are no markings on that bird, dope transporter?

Sitkaspruce
05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Ive got a load sling on order for my nice frame, save your money!
maybe Ill get some camo pants too....

I have thought about it, not sold on the Tetonka yet.....but hey it not my shoulders who will be wearing it....:mrgreen:
:tongue:
Yours needs to get dirty....and that will only happen if you have camo pants!!!

Cheers

SS

One Shot
05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Camp Trails has probably packed more meat over the last few decades than any other pack , hands down

That may be somewhat true. I had one when I was young for packing meat and gear. Lasted for years and my daughter ended up with it and still using it.

358mag
05-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Or in the Yukon or NWT

Ry151
05-07-2013, 12:12 AM

are tha back windows tinted out as well?

fuzzy
05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
If your getting a dedicated hauler that various people will be using don't bother with the Nice frame and a load sling. You are far better of using an external frame type of set up. I will be soon purchasing an external to supplement my MR crew cab and load sling. Ymmv and this is coming from someone who has only shot one deer but grew up backpacking(damn I just told the Internet I'm a crappy hunter who spends to much time on the Internet)

fuzzy

Timberjack
05-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Both river sportsman and tyee have had em in the past - Well, river sportsman for sure anyway. I've used one and very comfy, TJ

303Brit
05-16-2013, 08:40 PM
WSS, River Sportsmen in CR both carry the Tatonka. I've had 100# on mine and it's still way more comfortable than any Mil Ruck I've ever been issued. I consistantly trained with 85# in it last year no problems

ElectricDyck
05-16-2013, 10:38 PM
My bro in law has the tatonka which I tryed out and both he and I have problems with a bar being uncomfortable on the lower back. All body types are different, it may work for you, it seems really strong and I like the design of the bag.

I got a mystery ranch 6500 and although I hate the design of the bag, it feels awesome with a ton of weight in it, I never thought 100 lbs could feel so good on my back! I also have an eberlestock j107, an awesome pack until you get over about 65lbs and then it really starts pulling on your shoulders.

If you aren't the one using it get one of those bright orange pack frames from the 80s, that would be good for a laugh!

Sitkaspruce
05-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Picked up a Tatonka last weekend. Tried a few different ones, the Kelty Cache, the Badlands Ox, a no name one and the Tatonka, the Tatonka fit me the best due to all the adjustability of it. This thing looks like it is built like a tank and should do the duty.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Cheers

SS

Brambles
05-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Don't mention it!!

gitnadoix
05-22-2013, 09:59 PM

http://www.sasquatchfabrications.com/img_1815.jpg

Looks like the one made by saskwatch in BC......have used mine for elk and moose and was amazed at the ease at which it went through the bush and over logs....

seatoskymiles
05-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Or in the Yukon or NWT
NWT yes Yukon no