PDA

View Full Version : Sask Hunters

SUAFOYT
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm in the process of arranging a whitetail hunt and was having real trouble accessing any info on the Sask website.

Turns out they are in the process of going totally on line and are having some glitches. The whitetail deer draw for out of province residents will not be posted until June 1st.

I also learned that in SK, the trespass act is different for hunters. A hunter is allowed to go on to any private property that is not posted without the landowner's permission. If the landowner then tells you to leave the property then you must.

Here are a couple of links to zones in SK if anyone needs them.

The first one is a general map of the zones and the second one is a more detailed zone map.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=93e9d297-c5c0-4d56-9f55-f2c045ee9a98&MediaID=e95adfd0-4dca-4185-94f3-8cb696d92a7f&Filename=2012+WMZ+Map+Page.pdf&l=English (http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=93e9d297-c5c0-4d56-9f55-f2c045ee9a98&MediaID=e95adfd0-4dca-4185-94f3-8cb696d92a7f&Filename=2012+WMZ+Map+Page.pdf&l=English)

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=42fc2644-d3a9-4d7a-96fc-5ee285000de7 (http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=42fc2644-d3a9-4d7a-96fc-5ee285000de7)

Sofa King
05-02-2013, 06:05 PM
i hardly even saw any land marked "private" or "no tresspassing" when i was just out there for a year.
the people are super-friendly and i wouldn't think it would be hard to get permission anyway.

SUAFOYT
05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
i hardly even saw any land marked "private" or "no tresspassing" when i was just out there for a year.
the people are super-friendly and i wouldn't think it would be hard to get permission anyway.

For sure. I'm going out in June for a visit and will be doing my recon and talking to residents then.

Rackmastr
05-02-2013, 06:31 PM
While the laws differ and are slowly evolving in SK, I'd suggest chatting with any landowner and gaining permission before hunting un-posted land. Much of the sentiment that I found was ranchers and farmers who were very willing to allow hunters on their property also hated seeing guys drive across fields, hunt in fields without asking permission, etc.

A good way to ruin relationships with a landowner would be to hunt without gaining permission first. A great way to BUILD those relationships is to go out early, get permission, carry a map-book during the season and ensure you have permission before entering. Again, thats just my experience in an area with quite a bit of signage but also several sections of un-marked and un-fenced land.

drgame
05-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I grew up in sask and moved out to bc 15 years ago and this last winter in sask was one the hardest they have had in 50 years. Deer population took a really hit this year and that is why the draw isnt until june this year. I havent missed one year of sask deer hunting and they are thinking of putting us canadian residents into a draw system this year.

.300WSMImpact!
05-05-2013, 04:11 PM
it will be a real tough year for quality deer in most parts of sask, they still have lots of snow in most areas

pronghorn
05-05-2013, 05:48 PM
It's going to real tough to find a good quality buck this year in saskatchewan as there's a ton of winter kill as there was a ton of snow. Should be interesting this year for sure.

craigo
05-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Hello guys,

I am a Sask boy. Thanks for the comments on the majority of us being good, nice & polite!
As Rackmastr said it makes good relations to ask a land owner for approval to go on his/her land. A landowner may see the remains of a gut pile and say to themselves "I don't rememer giving anyone permission to hunt on here", well that could ruin it for the next guy. Just somthing to remember. Winter kill here is just as you all mentioned, bad, real bad. I haven't talked to any government people to hear what the plan is.
Wish you all the best when ya get back hunting out here.

CRAIGO

juiceterboost
07-03-2013, 05:06 PM
when we go we have a contact who pre talks with landowners for us and arranges permission for us.

pronghorn
07-03-2013, 05:14 PM
There's no problem getting permission if you take the time and ask as I have never been told no. But we are starting to see alot of land posted this spring

IronNoggin
07-03-2013, 05:17 PM

That is directly due to the Saskatchewan's Government actions in years past. Those landowners who posted their property were publicly notified that they would receive NO Crop Depredation Insurance under any conditions were the land posted. MANY signs came down in one hell of a hurry. :wink:

While the laws differ and are slowly evolving in SK, I'd suggest chatting with any landowner and gaining permission before hunting un-posted land. Much of the sentiment that I found was ranchers and farmers who were very willing to allow hunters on their property also hated seeing guys drive across fields, hunt in fields without asking permission, etc.

A good way to ruin relationships with a landowner would be to hunt without gaining permission first. A great way to BUILD those relationships is to go out early, get permission, carry a map-book during the season and ensure you have permission before entering.

BINGO! Very GOOD Advice! :-D

Cheers & Best Of Luck in your upcoming hunt!
Nog

pronghorn
07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes that's true about the crops but they are long gone when the non resident season comes by the end of October you can see the farmers with there quads loaded up with signs

264mag
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Canadian Whitetail resident draw results will be out next week. Winter kill was heavy, now there are only millions of deer not kazillions!