PDA

View Full Version : Horsefly and MU 5-2 Hunting and Fishing

BCMarc
05-01-2013, 08:34 PM
So the lady and I have just bought property in Horsefly, will be moving up at the end of May. We have explored the area some before purchasing but know very little to nothing about the wildlife, hunting and/or fishing in the area. Any tips or recommendations for some folks new to the area?

warnniklz
05-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Ohhhhh yeah... turn up the redneck.

Bear hunting is great, trout fishing is out of this world, snowmobiling and quadding out your front door, tube the horsefly river in the summer, horsefly lake is probably one of my favourite lakes in BC,

I haven't had much success hunting deer out there, but I always see lots of big guys along the highway during august.

Weatherby Fan
05-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Check with the Mayor of Bridge Lake......."RemingtonJim" most anything that takes place up that way has to be cleared through the Mayor !
Congrats on your move.........I'm very jealous !
WF

tuffteddyb
05-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the area!

BCMarc
05-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting up there and settling in. Looked like a whole lot of signs of wildlife from our last visit a few weeks ago.

I'll definitely be checking out Horsefly Lake. I have heard good things about the Horsefly River as well.

shallowH2O
05-01-2013, 09:28 PM
hey there, welcome to the neighbourhood. i live out black creek. some of the best fishing in the country is out the front door!! good bears, ample moose once you know where to look if you get a draw. lots of deer hiding under rocks, awesome lake fishing, both big and small. look me up, we can do coffee.

BCMarc
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
hey there, welcome to the neighbourhood. i live out black creek. some of the best fishing in the country is out the front door!! good bears, ample moose once you know where to look if you get a draw. lots of deer hiding under rocks, awesome lake fishing, both big and small. look me up, we can do coffee.

Awesome, thanks! We move at the end of the month. Once we're settled in a bit and taken care of a few things like replacing the 1983 carpet, it'd be great to get together.

warnniklz
05-01-2013, 09:37 PM
you're going to miss prime bear season

BCMarc
05-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Will be stuck sitting this one out. Many more to come in the future though.

shallowH2O
05-01-2013, 09:59 PM
where abouts did you buy? right in town? or out in the country

Steeleco
05-01-2013, 10:09 PM

If he unpacks fast, he'll have all of June, I'll be close for the third week, bears beware!!

BCMarc
05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
where abouts did you buy? right in town? or out in the country
Right at the edge of town. A decent spread.

BCMarc
05-01-2013, 10:11 PM
If he unpacks fast, he'll have all of June, I'll be close for the third week, bears beware!!
Unpacking can wait, or be delegated. My stuff will still be there after bear season!

dippy
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Great hunting in the area. Make friends with the farmers. I really regret moving back to the city. If you fly fish I would recommend fishing the horsefly river for trout when the sockeye are running. The trout hang at the back of the sockeye school. Not only will you catch the bronze coloured resident river trout, the big chromers follow the sockeye in from Quesnel lake.

05-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Im jelous.
I have hunted and fished that area quite a bit for an Islander.... 32 years from now when i retire i'll see you there! lol

Steelwheels
05-02-2013, 10:48 AM
So the lady and I have just bought property in Horsefly, will be moving up at the end of May. We have explored the area some before purchasing but know very little to nothing about the wildlife, hunting and/or fishing in the area. Any tips or recommendations for some folks new to the area?

Say "HI" to BIGG JACK....

srupp
05-02-2013, 11:03 AM
hmmm welcome..to a great area..great fishing hunting and Horsefly is quiet and a very nice place to live.If you point out your new home I will ensure I turn ON the sirens when I pass by mmmmmsay 3 am...lol just to say HI..Great bear hunting , moose hunting, grizzlies right over the Horsefy bridge @ the spawning channel..They have a very good first response fire dept crew.If you have any questions or need anything..just PM.me..I spend a great deal of time out there in spring for black bear, and deer in the fall..and would be more than pleased to show you some areas and walk you through some maps that have taken 30 plus years here putting together..shhhhhh..lol WELCOME! .....................................Steven Rupp...Williams lake

chris
05-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Make sure to check fishing regs as far as the river goes. My mom is from horsefly and I have spent lots of summers camping and fishing around there. As everyone else has said there is good game around there too, easy to find critters in summer but as with anywhere they seem to know hunting seasons. Horsefly lake has some lunkers but they are hard to catch. I always have good luck on the smaller lakes flyfishing for rainbows. Look forward to seeing your bear pics this june.

Hunt-4-Life
05-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the Cariboo, lots to do has been said already. Get a Sled for winter, tones of places to ride and lots of snow out east into the mountains there by crooked lake.

BCMarc
05-02-2013, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=srupp;1325073]hmmm welcome..to a great area..great fishing hunting and Horsefly is quiet and a very nice place to live.If you point out your new home I will ensure I turn ON the sirens when I pass by mmmmmsay 3 am...lol just to say HI../QUOTE]

Thanks, I am sure the lady would love that! We can't wait

BCMarc
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Make sure to check fishing regs as far as the river goes. My mom is from horsefly and I have spent lots of summers camping and fishing around there. As everyone else has said there is good game around there too, easy to find critters in summer but as with anywhere they seem to know hunting seasons. Horsefly lake has some lunkers but they are hard to catch. I always have good luck on the smaller lakes flyfishing for rainbows. Look forward to seeing your bear pics this june.

The girl might enjoy the occassional troll for the lunkers, I am more of a flyfisher myself so I may be picking your brain on that scene shortly.

tuffteddyb
05-02-2013, 05:44 PM
yah I forgot to mentionthe great hunting and fishing out in that area,I like the smaller lakes,BIg ones make me REALLY NERVOUS!lol
And if i can lend a hand or someinfo let me know,I am in the 150.

BCMarc
05-02-2013, 05:46 PM
yah I forgot to mentionthe great hunting and fishing out in that area,I like the smaller lakes,BIg ones make me REALLY NERVOUS!lol
And if i can lend a hand or someinfo let me know,I am in the 150.

I can dig it. Those long, deep lakes make me nervous in a 12' car topper too. Looks like a pretty good crew of HBC in the area, this is going to be super!

nature girl
05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I go to Horsefly a few times a year. You'll find the locals so friendly.
Happy hunting in Horsefly.

srupp
05-02-2013, 06:37 PM
hmmm the flyfishing is phenominal..hundreds of lakes...

no problem about the sirens.....I meet the nicest people ...just by accident...

cheers

Steven

Wade
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
My dad and I hunted there once and we filled his LEH. It's a nice area.

REMINGTON JIM
05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Check with the Mayor of Bridge Lake......."RemingtonJim" most anything that takes place up that way has to be cleared through the Mayor !
Congrats on your move.........I'm very jealous !
WF

LMAO ! I`m at Bridge Lake and area - SRUPP is the mayor of that area and i learned a LOT from Steven . Hes VERY knowledgeable about the Horsefly Outback but i can help out too ! :-D

Cheers RJ

gcreek
05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I was raised on a small ranch at Horsefly, still have a sister that lives there and one at Miocene. Haven't been out there much since my Dad passed on several years back. Faces have changed a lot in 35 years but some of my school mates still call it home.

Did you buy some proerty on Mitchell Bay Rd., down the river from the "Mall" or the place across Harper Lake? It may even be part of the Walters' ranch but the old Dad told me he had put something on it to prevent the family from selling any. Things do change though.

It was a good place to grow up, compared to the Chilcotin for 30+ years the area seems to small for me now.

Good Luck

twodogs
05-03-2013, 07:59 AM
welcome to horsefly. I moved from Langley to Beaver Valley in 2010 And have had no regrets.Tons of lakes and lots of wildlife.Get a hold of me when you move up

BCMarc
05-04-2013, 06:40 PM
welcome to horsefly. I moved from Langley to Beaver Valley in 2010 And have had no regrets.Tons of lakes and lots of wildlife.Get a hold of me when you move up

Will do, thanks. Hoping to move things up a few weeks to start getting some work done over the upcoming long weekend. Will reach out to everybody once phones and interwebs are all set up.

warnniklz
05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
you also are just a little trip away from beela coola for some prime spring fishing

BCMarc
05-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Well, tomorrow is the big day. Take possession of the new homestead. Not moving in quite yet, but headed to the village in the morning to start doing some work on the house.

srupp
05-18-2013, 12:48 PM
hmmm JUST IN LITERALLY from 8 days in Horsefly area..lots of moose ,grizz, cranes(birds) black bear, moose mulies and whities...good guy in Horsefly is Wayne Johnson..he lives right next to the firehall..he KNOWS THE AREA EXTREMELLY WELL.

cheers

Steven

Dirty Steve
05-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Bosk Lake, after the head and tail were off it still curled 4 inches on each end out of a 16 inch fry pan... One of the best memories of my life hammering a good rainbow. Rode around there on my XR250 with my electric motor, deep cycle battery, a rod, and my rifle over my shoulder. Boats at every lake, fish, game and some wicked country. My only regret is not drifting the river for a few days. I hear there are BIG fish in the river. Meagan Meadows....

.330 Dakota
05-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Great hunting in the area. Make friends with the farmers. I really regret moving back to the city. If you fly fish I would recommend fishing the horsefly river for trout when the sockeye are running. The trout hang at the back of the sockeye school. Not only will you catch the bronze coloured resident river trout, the big chromers follow the sockeye in from Quesnel lake.

Get to know a fellow named Lloyd Heidel,,super guy and he owns lots of nice deer terrain

BCMarc
05-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the notes guys. Just got back down to Vancouver after the long weekend. Lots to do on the place over the next few weeks, including getting internet set up, but did have encounters with 1/2 dozen deer and a moose roaming around the yard. Pretty awesome few days.

nature girl
05-24-2013, 06:44 PM
BCMarc just got back from being in Horsefly for a week. You will really like the people of Horsefly. Get yourself a subscription of the buzz the local once a month paper.
I hear the explornet is the way to go for internet service. And everyone waves to you as you drive by. You sure dont get that in the lowermainland.
Have fun in your new home.
Jessie

BCMarc
05-29-2013, 10:04 PM
BCMarc just got back from being in Horsefly for a week. You will really like the people of Horsefly. Get yourself a subscription of the buzz the local once a month paper.
I hear the explornet is the way to go for internet service. And everyone waves to you as you drive by. You sure dont get that in the lowermainland.
Have fun in your new home.
Jessie

Haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time there just yet, but when I have, it's been great. Three free months of the Buzz when you're new to town signing up for your PO Box!

Xplorenet scares the crap out of me. Every thing I have read about it, everywhere, is nothing but horror stories, slow performance and down time. Still trying to decide if we can wait out an opening on the wifi tower before committing to 3 years on satellite.

On the plus side, the property is beautiful, the area is beautiful and the folks are great. Everyone has been super helpful, friendly and accomodating as we get situated.

hunter1947
05-30-2013, 03:50 AM
I used the back roads in this area I came from Barkerville down to horsefly years back there are some big mule deer in this part of the woods as for some very nice moose that are on LEH.

The caribou mt range holds these big mule deer and you can find them at lower elevation come later in the year the gost lake area north of horsefly is a fantastic place to camp and fish this lake has a few campsites at the head of the lake ,,good luck with your new stomping grounds this place is as good as you can get it for all recreation use and hunting..

hunter1947
05-31-2013, 03:24 AM
If you look in the record books there should show some monster mule deer that have been taken in this area you are moving to I know of a person that took a nontipical mule deer from this area and it scored up in the hi 190ie the last name was Ridley he lived there in horsefly in a big log cabin still might ??? I used to hunt this area with brothers son Xplumber he is ...

srupp
05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
hmm later in the year Wolverine mountain is THE place for mulies headed west from the Cariboo mts..Horsefly still has excellent mulies and now whities... steven

gcreek
05-31-2013, 08:57 PM
If you look in the record books there should show some monster mule deer that have been taken in this area you are moving to I know of a person that took a nontipical mule deer from this area and it scored up in the hi 190ie the last name was Ridley he lived there in horsefly in a big log cabin still might ??? I used to hunt this area with brothers son Xplumber he is ...

To my knowledge Gerry has been gone from Horsefly for several years. Not even sure where he relocated to.

forestwalker
06-01-2013, 06:10 PM
The horsefly river is some of the best trout fishing in BC, August through October I'm out there every other weekend. Some of the best big game hunting BC has to offer is out in crooked lake just southeast of horsefly. The entire area is fantastic for fishing and hunting alike. I'm ranching out in Big Lake, you'll get to know the area pretty quick

BradB
06-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Go to The Anvil and start asking questions. They're all pretty friendly folks there.

pager
06-03-2013, 07:54 AM
I did take a couple of nice mule deer from Horsefly. One typical 187 5/8 and a non-typical 221 1/8. I also picked up a drop that Rick Berreth scored for me at 121 4/8 - one side. We lived there for 16 years and there was some good deer but hard to get. We live in Grand Forks now. Gerry

hunter1947
06-04-2013, 03:57 AM
I did take a couple of nice mule deer from Horsefly. One typical 187 5/8 and a non-typical 221 1/8. I also picked up a drop that Rick Berreth scored for me at 121 4/8 - one side. We lived there for 16 years and there was some good deer but hard to get. We live in Grand Forks now. Gerry

Gerry can you post the pictures of your mule deer up on this forum ????.

pager
06-04-2013, 07:17 AM
I will give it a try Wayne

hunter1947
06-04-2013, 07:46 AM
I will give it a try Wayne

Thanks Gerry I as others would really like to see your head mounts ,,if you can't post up the pictures on HBC I will give you my email address and I will post them up under your name..

xcaribooer
06-04-2013, 08:05 AM
You are very lucky, that is a nice area with lots of good hunting and fishing as mentioned. I spent a lot of falls there moose hunting when I was young in the 70's and 80's down around Moffat lks, always with good success. Last time I was there 6 years ago I hardly recognized the area with all the logging that has taken place though. We always had good fishing on Tisdall lk. and Crow lk too.

Drillbit
06-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Go to The Anvil and start asking questions. They're all pretty friendly folks there.

Go in the Anvil when it's busy and pull the rope hanging from above, you'll make lots of friends!

ducktoller
06-04-2013, 12:40 PM
You should be a dear and let some of your city dwelling guests clear some mulies off your land in September ;).

BCMarc
06-04-2013, 07:36 PM
I need to remember to take my camera when I'm walking about. In the meantime, I was able to snap this one hanging out in the side pasture

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r528/BCMarc/1D7EB821-7134-4A32-887C-9723F08A2056-332-0000008B6834AEC1_zps93ebf8c8.jpg

Fred1
06-04-2013, 07:43 PM
yup.. thats my ex allright... :D

ICEWOODY
02-10-2016, 08:37 PM
I love this town go up to see my mom as much as I can she put on your old fashion Christmas this year if I could grab work out there I would move at the drop of a hat I love to work and I love that country your blessed.