PDA

View Full Version : Camera Equipment and Tips for recording deer hunts

Midland
05-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Hey all,

I plan on getting some footage this year of my hunts. Looking for advice and ideas for possible equipment needed to record from the ground as well as a treestand.

What kind of equipment do those out there that do this use?

Thanks!

ML

Superdeuce
05-02-2013, 07:50 PM
I assume bow hunting and assume just for amateur vid for yourself? GoPro and most of the similar sports action cams are about useless due to lack of zoom which is compounded by the wide angle lens... they are designed for in your face action, so maybe not bad on a headstrap mount for a bush stalk type hunt to provide hunter eye view. I was disappointed using mine for bow range shots... 20yards looks like 50.

I switched to a plain waterproof/shockproof digital point and shoot cam which has 4x optical zoom (not digital zoom like the Playsport). I mounted it on a rod in the stab mount (bowfinger mount). Works good, but have to train myself to keep the bow pointed at the action. It's fun getting to relive the moments...and the mistakes.

TheProvider
05-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Depends on the footage you want. Like Superdeuce said. GoPro's are great for close up and for scenerey. Small compact camera on your bow. I prefer a tripod myself. Unless you do two cameras say a gopro on your bow facing you and another on tripod. All depends on what your expectations are. Videoing in a tree would be much easier. Definately adds a challenge to hunting but its alot of fun.

Superdeuce
05-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Midland, as requested here are some photos of my setup. Cam is a Sony TX10. The mount is a bowfinger 2.0... it can be adjusted in a variety of positions, but wish I had just got the 1.0 model (essentially a straight rod) to keep it simple and light. Fast release clip you can remove cam quick and easy.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/Superdeuce/P4240032.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/Superdeuce/P4240024.jpg