PDA

View Full Version : your opinion for bears

s0ylentgreen
05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
hi all
ive been avidly reading all the bear posts and been trying fairly hard this year hunting
seems like the weather is getting nice in my area (okanagan) for the bears to awaken...

when you hunt powerlines, meadows, grassy areas, etc
and if you seen some poo here and there...

do you sit and wait and walk around for the day in that one area?

or do you roam around (truck or ATV) to various areas? - almost road hunting?

many thanks

swamper
05-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Since we can't bait bears in BC, your best bet for seeing lots of bears is to cover lots of ground, ie. atv or vehicle. I am heading out this afternoon for a 4 day hunt. We will be covering as much ground as possible on our ATV's. We have done this for the past 2 springs and have seen 16 and 17 bears respectively.

Ron.C
05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I do a bit of both. I like to get out and hunt new areas and I like to cover lots of country. And for bears, it is a good strategy. But there are a few spots I know that it is well worth while to park ass and sit/watch. I've learned this from seeing bears use the same spot time and time again. And its how I shot my bear last year on the last day.

sarg
05-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I would be driving around a lot, covering ton of groumd and if u find a spot with a lot of poo around go back to the spot in the even or morning to see what feed around the area :) that how I usually get mine :) good luck

Caribou_lou
05-01-2013, 02:49 PM
When im out in the mornings or mid day im more looking for fresh sign. If I find sign (large tracks,droppings) ill be in that area for the evening and last light. They will be out through the day but you can bet they will be out for one last bite before dark.

Drillbit
05-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Road huntingf for me produces the highest number of sightings. Might not find a big one easy this way though.

If you want to walk and see one, the spots I know are good for this are deactivated blocks that have a creek in them somewhere that can't be seen from the road, preferably in the sun. Seems like everything greens up a little faster near the creeks and they hang out by the water more often then not.

BearSupreme
05-01-2013, 06:17 PM
An hour or 2 before dark seems to be the best, and bears are lazy and like to follow roads, plus theres usually a good supply of grass on the sides of roads too. Find the sign, then wait downwind of a good spot, or walk the roads near dusk. Also, I dont think you can hunt near 200 or 400 meters of a power line, check it out to make sure

pappy
05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Full camo road hunting. If you speed lots you'll see way more bears running away, then come back to that spot later and you'll see them running away again. Keep going back to the spot with the slowest bear and you'll get him. It takes lots of gas and you beat the sh!t out of your truck but you look cool in your camo.

Fred1
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I like to wear a fresh sockeye salmon scarf and crawl around in thick brush near some fresh growing grass... :wink: Cover some ground... And yes, go with the cool lookin camo! Chicks dig that chit!

E.V.B.H.
05-01-2013, 07:42 PM
An hour or 2 before dark seems to be the best, and bears are lazy and like to follow roads, plus theres usually a good supply of grass on the sides of roads too. Find the sign, then wait downwind of a good spot, or walk the roads near dusk. Also, I dont think you can hunt near 200 or 400 meters of a power line, check it out to make sure

Never heard of a power line restriction before. Where did you hear that?

BearSupreme
05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Never heard of a power line restriction before. Where did you hear that?

my bad, I swore I read that you couldnt hunt the power lines. Ive been staying away from them since I started hunting 3 years ago... sheeet I gotta start hunting the lines! They always look like awesome spots! Cheers!

E.V.B.H.
05-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Just make sure they are on crown land, not private and you are good to go!:-D

Surrey Boy
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
I walk around, since spring bear hunting is also my time to scout for other game and hunting terrain for the fall.

boxhitch
05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Worked with a crew slashing power lines in the Kingfisher area , never seen so many B Bears , or Huckleberries.
Each day as we progressed hacking down the billiions of ~40-60 mm. stems , they would appear each evening , looking around wondering wtf happened to all their cover.

davet
05-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Worked with a crew slashing power lines in the Kingfisher area , never seen so many B Bears , or Huckleberries.
Each day as we progressed hacking down the billiions of ~40-60 mm. stems , they would appear each evening , looking around wondering wtf happened to all their cover.
I laughed out loud when i read that.

Ltbullken
05-02-2013, 09:21 AM
If on a meadow, cut block or power line, I would find a good vantage point and wait, glass then stalk. If you find lots of scat on a road side that has lots of grass, clover and forbes, slowly and quietly walk it out as long as the wind works for you. I've seen/taken plenty of bears both ways.

BiG Boar
05-02-2013, 11:19 AM
2 easiest ways.

Go up a north slope that looks at a large south facing slope. Grab your binos and spend an hour searching all areas that are green grass/clover.

Drive around find a few different areas with a couple turds on the road. Usually you will see grass somewhere nearby. Could be in a ditch or something. Mark these spots on GPS as crappy areas. Or remember them. Then later on in the evening around 6pm, park before you get to the crappy areas and quietly walk through them. You'll usually see or hear the bear. Try to watch the wind and stay quiet and try to use some cover. Glass as you go up the road.

srupp
05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Great advice from Big Boar...

Steven

bigslim
05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Just make sure they are on crown land, not private and you are good to go!:grin:

I would have to think even on private land the power lines would be a legal right of way.

s0ylentgreen
05-02-2013, 12:33 PM
thanks very much guys!

i went out yesterday night again at the powerlines and saw a momma blackie run away with 3 babies following (one was a lighter brown)

srupp
05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I have harvested far many more black bears in the evening from about four o'clock till last legal shooting the biggest bears last to come out. This is exactly opposite to grizzly bears were I've harvested far many more grizzly bears in the first hour then any other time of day. Old logging slashes that have skidder trails look out at the logging landings at the end of skidder trails.. This offers flat green, usually some puddles and what black bears seek the most the most... A quiet place to eat.

I like to try to gain some elevation and glass roads, logging slashes, greened up areas, openings amongst the trees and slides....during the day..
Walk every little trail to its complete end.... And if you find solitude, lots of green growth, some water and tons of poop... Come back with full camo, a head net for bugs.. so you are not squirming and smashing bugs... This equals movement.. And above all position yourself so that the wind is from the place you are glassing towards you. Bears often stop for up to 30 min. before they will come in to feed... Any scent will stop This process...they wont be far from lots of water they need this as much as food.
Good luck
Steven

Fred1
05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Finally! Saw three bears (insert joke here) in the north Okanangan. Its about time!!!

REMINGTON JIM
05-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Like Srupp says - sleep in and hunt the afternoons for the Blackies - BUT i have found G BEARS anytime throughout the day in the spring time ! Just my findings . Cheers and good luck to all the bear hunters ! :-D RJ

Rackmastr
05-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Just make sure they are on crown land, not private and you are good to go!:grin:

I would have to think even on private land the power lines would be a legal right of way.

You'd be thinking wrong.

itsy bitsy xj
05-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Wow this has been a very educational thread, thank you to everyone the posted. I have a quick question...

If I get a blackie in the afternoon, gut it in the bush, I was planning on skinning once I got home or stopping at my parents in Langley so I could hang it in the shop to do the skinning. What is the best way (without a hugh freezer) to stop the meat from spoiling over night? I have a butcher that will take it in the morning but what should I do with it for the night?

Surrey Boy
05-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Skin and debone, wrap in cheesecloth and let it dry, cooler is better, away from bugs.

It's not spoiling at this point so much as aging.

boxhitch
05-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Kinda depends on what you want for meat. Skinning is quick and easy, but if you really want it whole to whittle off all of the red meat , leave it on.

If I get a blackie in the afternoon, gut it in the bush, I was planning on skinning once I got home or stopping at my parents in LangleyCamping over night or hitting the road ?
If staying over , hang it with some good air flow , temps now are still getting cool.
Keep it cool in the days of high 20's , lots of tarps blankets and ice blocks.
Don't mind the red water dripping out of the truck box :)

bigslim
05-03-2013, 07:04 AM
You'd be thinking wrong.

Are you sure or just ass-u-ming.

geoskier
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't ignore north facing slopes either. Biggest boar I have seen in a few years was on a north facing slide on April 2nd this year. Still haven't found the bruiser.

300H&H
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
For me it is just a matter of covering as much ground as I can.
Drive and glass cut blocks.
Look for deactivated logging roads that have lots of clover on them and you will find bears.
If you can, just shoot a boar.

boxhitch
05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't ignore north facing slopes eitherEspecially in the heat.
Bears spend a lot of time eating this time of year , and the hot sun on a full fur coat is tough on them.
Shade , creeks , water ,

landphil
05-04-2013, 09:18 PM

A power line easement applies to the concerned parties only, the landowner(s) and the utility company(s). Anyone else is tresspassing without any other permission granted, and I know this for a FACT. I suggest you edit your original post to stop the spread of that misinformation.

The Silent Stalker
05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Full camo road hunting. If you speed lots you'll see way more bears running away, then come back to that spot later and you'll see them running away again. Keep going back to the spot with the slowest bear and you'll get him. It takes lots of gas and you beat the sh!t out of your truck but you look cool in your camo.
Haha, that's funny.

Rackmastr
05-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Are you sure or just ass-u-ming.

Yes, I'm sure. If you're going to sling comments like that make sure you back them up. For a guy who obviously ISNT sure to make a comment like that is comical.

rapid shot
05-05-2013, 07:47 AM
I was searching along the west Harrison area for black bear. I have not seen any one exept two piles of poops for half day. On the way home one tire flattened. Just remind everyone who plans to out for that area, check your tires before trip and drive carefully on the sharply gravel fsr road.

Fella
05-06-2013, 09:22 AM
So what's most important when looking for bears? Sitting still and glassing or covering lots of ground? Or a combination of. Oth?