PDA

View Full Version : Spot vs. other PLB's

rcar
04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
I have been on the fence for a while about getting a Spot or alternative device. As I get older and still mostly hunt alone, the thought of safety crosses my mind and is often echoed by family.

A couple of years ago I almost bought a Spot on the advice of a friend but held off after reading a ton of reviews that questioned Spot's ability to reliably lock onto position but mostly it was the comments about Spot's horrible customer service and difficulty in canceling the subscription that made me reconsider. That being said I am not presently that concerned about that. A single call to my credit card company would solve this issue if it came up. My issue and question is more about reliability. No sense in buying a life saving device if it won't save your life.

I don't need the ability to text home or let others track my progress....although that is kind of cool. What I need is a reliable "help I've fallen and can't get up" device and one that will work reliably where I have fallen or am trapped.

The overall cost of a Spot vs something like the ResQLink are pretty close once the Spot's fees and subscription are taken into account.

I write this as I am packing for another solo hunt tomorrow and have that nagging thought that I should be better prepared.....

Fred1
04-30-2013, 08:59 PM
The SPOT works. I used them when working in the bush alone. My "check-ins" came through every time. Currently several of our guys use them daily at work. Your wife will like being able to log in and see where your at! :)

allan
04-30-2013, 09:29 PM
I use a delorme earth mate, because I like the two way msging in the bush. Slower then IM but nice to know that they are getting your msgs, and can tell you whats up at home if needed.

RiverOtter
04-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Check out the Delorme "In Reach" units. From what I've heard, they have better sat coverage, for a similar price tag.

rcar
04-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Check out the Delorme "In Reach" units. From what I've heard, they have better sat coverage, for a similar price tag.

Hey RO

I did consider In Reach but their annual fees are hard to swallow much like Spot, although their product seemed to be much better received. If I was to consider a device and cost it for the next 5 years including hardware, fees and subscription, the costs for most PLB's are closing on $700. Yeah most of them offer nice features like tracking and some messaging but all I want is really a panic button. I would rather spend more up front and have a bullet proof, or at least close to bullet proof device. My question is are there any non subscription rock solid products that will give me this.

Lets face it, the cost of fuel on most trips is in the hundreds of $$ so a product like this is not really a big factor considering the benefit.

Trophyslayer
04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
I have the delorme in reach and love it. It has a sos help or check in and I can text anyone i want and they can reply but if i dont text them they cant get ahold of me (which is a good thing) I just suspend my subscription in the off season so it really doesn't cost me much 4 months out of the year I pay and it can be from 10-60 a month. To upgrade plans it Doesn't cost you anything but downgrading they have a fee. With your device suspended I think is 1 dollar a month or something like that

RiverOtter
05-01-2013, 07:59 AM
While the SOS feature is what most guys buy the Spot/InReach units for, I am more interested in the ability to change plans on the fly, and still be able to keep loved ones up to date, in case I don't come home. The SOS will give my realtime coordinates, if the situation should arrive anyway, and lets face it, shits gotta be pretty dire before a guys gonna call in a bird on his dime. Another bonus, at least with the IR units, is they are compatiblbe with I-Phones(prolly others too) and essentially turn them into a satelite texting device, which could be handy when the only "HELP" you need is packing out elk quarters.......:-D

emerson
05-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Sat phone?

srupp
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
hmmm for simplicity..KISS...keep it simple sweetie...the SPOT works. for $100 year pretty cheap and reliable insurance.
sat phone 15 minute out of every hour you have coverage..= duplex system...

him..IF you need the bird..call it...we have had many successful outcomes.

keep in touch?? just press the "check in " position and time are recorded and sent to your custom list of riecipients..

need help carrying that elk press the "help" button..and whos on your list knows you need help..true not that they are in for hours of Sherpa duty..lol but those reliable folks that are on your help list..will see where you are and come to your aid.

hmm I use the SPOT 2ND GEN

Steven

SPOT Canada Rep

BuckEye
05-01-2013, 12:55 PM
I have the delorme in reach and love it. It has a sos help or check in and I can text anyone i want and they can reply but if i dont text them they cant get ahold of me (which is a good thing) I just suspend my subscription in the off season so it really doesn't cost me much 4 months out of the year I pay and it can be from 10-60 a month. To upgrade plans it Doesn't cost you anything but downgrading they have a fee. With your device suspended I think is 1 dollar a month or something like that
Just got off the line with Delorme Canada's in reach support line. I inquired about the fees to downgrade plans. The rep said there is no fee to downgrade. Admitted the site isn't clear but that you can move from one plan to another or suspend and the differences in price are pro rated to your change date. The plans cost a but more than the spot, but I think I'm going with the in reach. My retired friend has a spot and really likes it. I get "were ok and located here" emails of his outings.

Mishka
05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
A few years ago I picked up an ACR 406 GPS PLB "used" (but not) for $350. The guy bought it for a canoe trip and didn't need it anymore. I can't speak for how it works, because I've never had to use it... thankfully. But it was simple to register and provided details with the SAR government site (free). I provided my contact info, emergency contact info, my vehicle info, and description/names of my dogs and my usual outdoor habits, etc. If I go on a specific trip I'll detail that info. I was also able to lend it to a friend for a river trip up north and I provided their info to the SAR site without issue as well.

I believe its time for the battery to be changed and the unit to be checked. I heard this might be expensive, but I haven't investigated this yet so I'm not sure.

Perhaps keep an eye on out for a used one.

Ry151
05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Had a spot 2 for about 5 years (estimate) and they work great and aren't that costly in my opinion. They are simple to use for me and anyone to grabs it in an emergency. A lot of people don't think they need the track but consider this. I've lost two friends due to aircraft accidents, when the where over due we check the tracking page on google got the lat/long of last track and gave that to search and rescue and we flew to that location. We found them within minutes of arriving at the location which we probly wouldn't have found until spring with our the spot.

kennyj
05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I've used a SPOT for several years now, and although I have never had to use the 911 function, it has sent an OK message EVERY time from all corners of the province.
I love it and so does my family, as I hunt solo a lot.
kenny

Philcott
05-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I've used a SPOT for several years now, and although I have never had to use the 911 function, it has sent an OK message EVERY time from all corners of the province.
I love it and so does my family, as I hunt solo a lot.
kenny

I've had exactly the same experience with my spot2 as Kennyj

albravo2
05-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I love my Delorme Inreach. I've never found anybody that was really interested in where I go so I never use the track feature but I use the two way SMS all the time. Some people find that a communication device is a ball and chain, I find it liberating.

I've always wondered what would happen if the sh*t hit the fan and I pushed the SOS button. Does anyone know? If I'm in the middle of the nowhere in northern BC who gets the call to come bail me out? If it is a legitimate emergency am I on the hook for the cost of rescue?

Philcott
05-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Spot's web site tells you what will happen.

They get the sos message and contact the appropriate authorities. My guess is that would be RCMP for most of the province. The RCMP than takes control of the rescue and they get the appropriate people on track to get you. That could be themselves, local search and rescue and also the armed forces helicopter if needed.

If you are really in need of a rescue then I doubt you would be on the hook. That's why there are rescue organizations. If you just ran out of milk for your coffee and wanted a ride to the store that might be another story.

Have a look at their rescue insurance. It kicks in if there is no one available to come get you they will hire private to do the job. If IIRC it was around $10.00 for a year.

srupp
05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
hmmm SOS..is received in HQ for SPOT..USA..it instantly pulls up your info and is passed on to Canadian services..they start the process of who you are..supplied with the ISN # and your registration.
At the same time they PINPOINT where you are exactly and what is the FASTEST and BEST method to get to you .
They do assume that medical is needed....that golden hour standard for true life threatening medical emergencies..so in BC the British Columbia Ambulance Service (pretty decent folks by the way..) are involved in the SOS requests..so are RCMP and if needed S&R..

There is a LOT that gets done simultaneously and very quickly...and in most cases the SOS request does not need S&R because your exact position was registered with the SOS signal...they may be involved if physical rescue..ie a cliff rescue is needed..and if not then yes next step is a bird from closest Canadian forces.

RESCUE...S&R is not a billable item...its your tax $$$$$ no you aqre not on the hook for rescue....70 mile behind Pink mountain having a jammer...pull the tab help is on the way..Paramedics , helicopter..timely professional help...THE BCAS DOES HAVE A BILL HOWEVER IT IS VERY VERY SMALL .Any questions? hope this helps..steven SPOT CANADIAN REP

Philcott
05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
THE BCAS DOES HAVE A BILL HOWEVER IT IS VERY VERY SMALL .Any questions?

I was told if you tell them "S Rupp sent you" they'll either waive the fee on the spot or they'll kick you to the curb and not look back as they drive away. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/roflmao.gif

srupp
05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
funny funny boy.......

cheers

Elmer FuddRuppster

limit time
05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
A friend of mine has a unit that the Canadian millitary use. It's has no bells and whistles, but VERRY rugged, waterproof and no monthly payments. His only complant is its heavy. You do need to register it. I'll call him tonight to get a make and model.

Mountain Hunter
05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I've used SPOT units for several years. The original unit maybe had 1 of 20 OK messages not go through?

Since then I have upgraded to the SPOT2 and also a SPOT Connect using an iphone. All of those messages have gone through, and using the SPOT units at work with the tracking function worked just fine. The new SPOT connect has worked excellent, other than the odd issue initially connecting using bluetooth, but I am not sure if it is the sequence I turn everything on, (I usually leave my Bluetooth connection OFF on the phone and have to reinitialize when I want to connect to the SPOT unit) but it has always worked (Not to mention the SPOT Connect has a stand alone 911 button independent of the iphone).

To preserve phone battery power I turn it off and turn it back on to send messages and it has lasted 10 days for sending SPOT messages twice a day. Also you can setup 15 predefined messages as part of the package and just pay SMS text message fees for sending custom messages.

Finally, I needed to cancel my SPOT2 as I wasn't using it for work. I called to update my credit card info and informed the service dept that I wanted to cancel my subscription to the other SPOT2 unit. All seemed good from the operator but then received an e-mail a few days later that the subscription was set to auto-renew so I then sent an e-mail to the proper department and within a day or two they informed me that it would be cancelled as my request. Upon further checking I found on their website that to be sure the subscription is to be cancelled that the customer needs to send that specific e-mail to their service dept., so no big deal in the end. So overall, to setup tracking and other options were easy and to cancel wasn't so bad. I have had no problems with their billing process (they send reminder e-mails if you have auto-renew setup). Hope that helps!