PDA

View Full Version : Hearty Venison Barley Soup

hare_assassin
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I've made this one at least once a week throughout the winter and it is one of the family's favourite meals! Bonus: It is very quick and easy to make!

Ingredients:

- a pound or so of deer or moose meat, cut into 1-2cm cubes
- 4 cups of stock (I use homemade snowshoe hare stock, but any stock will do)
- 1/2 cup of pearl barley
- 3 or 4 carrots
- 4 sticks of celery
- About 300g of brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 sweet bell pepper (red adds nice colour)
- 1 onion
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons of dried oregano
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- cooking oil
- (optional) other veggies, like green beans, peas, whatever
- (optional) Worcestershire sauce, a few dashes

1. Finely chop the onion and chop or mince/press the garlic and get it frying in a very large pot/pan with some oil.

2. While the onion and garlic slowly fry, continue to chop/slice the carrots, celery, mushrooms and sweet pepper (and optional veggies if you wish) into 1-2cm pieces, then add this to the pot and continue frying till the veggies start to soften. 5-6 minutes.

3. Dump in the barley, the can of tomatoes and the oregano (& Worcestershire sauce, if desired); stir and continue to cook for another few minutes.

4. If the meat isn't cut into small pieces yet, do so and then throw the meat, stock, salt & pepper into the pot and give it a good stir.

5. Bring it up to a good simmer and cook, partially covered (crooked lid) for about 35-40 minutes.

Enjoy with fresh bread. Good luck not having seconds... :)

P.S. My kids call it "stewp" or "stoup", because it is as much like stew as it is soup. My wife has said "you make the best soup" every single time I have made it. Yay!

rbduck
04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
This sounds real good. I love barley soups. Gonna give this one a try.

Ron:mrgreen:

hare_assassin
04-30-2013, 11:32 AM
This sounds real good. I love barley soups. Gonna give this one a try.

You won't regret it. :)

The nice thing about this recipe is that you can use the tougher, less desirable cuts of meat and it still turns out tender and tasty. I have even used stuff that really should have been put through the grinder (like lower leg meat) and it ends up not bad at all.

rbduck
04-30-2013, 01:11 PM
You won't regret it. :)

The nice thing about this recipe is that you can use the tougher, less desirable cuts of meat and it still turns out tender and tasty. I have even used stuff that really should have been put through the grinder (like lower leg meat) and it ends up not bad at all.

Was actually thinking of using goose.

Ron

Salty
04-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Love barley soups and stews and like this Italian cross over idea you've got going on with the tomatoes and oregano. Going to give that one a try thanks for the thread HA.

hare_assassin
04-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Was actually thinking of using goose.

Ron

Cool. Please report back about how it works with goose meat. I have not hunted geese yet, as my wife says she doesn't want to eat it. If I can convince her it is good in that barley soup recipe, she might change her mind. Then it is just a matter of figuring out how to hunt geese. :)

rbduck
04-30-2013, 07:53 PM
I`ve made many different soups and stews using goose. Personally I cannot tell the difference between that and beef an neither can anyone else I have served it to. Do as you would beef or venison.