PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using ABC watches?

DGuest
04-28-2013, 11:30 AM
First post was in the wrong category.

Been toying with the idea of purchasing an ABC (Altimeter, Barometer, compass) watch. Most also have thermometers, weather alarms (using the barometer of course) and other potentially useful functions for people doing backpack/alpine hunting.

Anyone here have one?

And do you find it useful?

Been looking at the suunto core, if anyone has had experience with this particular watch I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks

DGuest
04-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Judging by the lack of responses I'm guessing they aren't popular among hunters

albravo2
04-28-2013, 06:28 PM
i used one a while back for mountaineering.

first, the temperature is never accurate unless you leave it on your pack instead of your wrist.
second, the altimeter is not accurate because it is based on barometric pressure so if the weather is changing (as it usually is in the mountains) you have to keep resetting it to known elevations.
third, the barometric pressure was accurate but I didn't find it terribly relevant to what I was doing.
fourth, the compass is OK, but not great because i found it very easy to get inaccurate reads when it wasn't perfectly level.

I wore it for a while because they look cool, but I didn't find it a useful tool.

I find a GPS, or better yet, the Delorme InReach to be way better in so many ways and considerably cheaper. Location, elevation, tracks etc... plus with the InReach you can send and receive texts from anywhere.

Colinofthewoods
04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I've got the suunto ambit. I love it. Pretty much everything stated in the post above is true, although I find the compass to be accurate, not sure if it is different from the core compass.

the ambit has a gps, a simple one but it does what I need it to. It does waypoints and navigation. It has a heart rate monitor, which I love for training and hiking. I use it all of the time. Going to come in handy sheep hunting this year.

I really like having all the info on my wrist,

andrewscag
04-28-2013, 08:07 PM
X3

have the suunto t6c which doesn't have a compass. Good hrm but the other features aren't super useful in the woods IMO . Its nice to have altimeter info with your training data, but mountain weather changes affect the altimeter too much for me to be very comfortable relying on it. You can of course deal with this by frequent resetting at known points but it was too much of a pita for me

solo
04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
I had the San Moritz. Used it for many years mountaineering. Was a great tool for quick reference, but always double checked it with altimeter and map/compass. Once I learned it's foibles it was pretty useful. Now I just use a GPS. I don't even wear a watch any more, I just use my iPhone. Get Huntbuddy.

604redneck
04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
suunto core is a good watch

BearSupreme
04-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I have a casio tripple sensor (barometer, temp, depth) and its solar powered. Ive had it for 8 years and looks new, very rugged and works great. I dont use the barometer much, especially when hunting. Like albravo2 said, the temperature isnt accurate if you are wearing it on your wrist, and if your not, you dont need a watch, just bring a small mercury thermometer. I do use the compass quite a bit when im out in the bush, it helps me keep oriented. You have to make sure its away from your gun, or else you'll go around in circles ;)
I would recommend the watch, but its not a necessity when hunting.

Surrey Boy
04-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Very informative thread so far. Thanks to all posters.

DGuest
04-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be sticking with the GPS and a basic watch.

ryanb
04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
I have the Suunto ambit. GPS and abc. I have owned several abc watches before and the compass on the ambit is a real step up. Gets accurate reading even if not perfectly level. Battery life is great. Lasted over 3 weeks last fall on an extended trip with intermittent gps use. I always wear a watch for timekeeping and alarms, but now I am able to ditch the GPS I use to carry. Like any electronic gadget, don't rely on it 100%. Know where you are and be able to find your way if it dies.

i am going to disagree with the above comments. An altimeter is an extremely useful navigational tool in the mountains. Even with the inaccuracies caused by weather changes.