PDA

View Full Version : Help with design of flatbed quad trailor and meat cooler combination

paulgug
04-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Hey guys,
I am looking to build a meat cooler on to my 6’ X 12’ flatbed trailer. I was thinking of building a 3’ X 6’ by 5’ high box in the middle of the trailer. This would leave 4.5’ on the front and back for 2 ATV’s mounted sideways on the trailer. If I built an insulated cooler box in the middle of the trailer, does anybody know if a air conditioner (standard window mounted type) mounted on the front of the box (probably near the top) would be sufficient to keep quarters cool enough. I hunt in the East Kootenays in September for elk. The temperature in the shade gets up to 20 C in the day and drops to 5 to 0 C at night. The other idea would be like the cooler I have at home which is a freezer with the lid removed and an enclosure built around it. I have a fan mounted in the bottom to circulate the air. It works OK but the temperature varies quite a bit from the top to the bottom. A hind quarter because of it’s length will start to freeze at the bottom if I don’t keep a close eye on it. It is also hard to lift the quarters over the front edge of the freezer to hang them up. If I use the air conditioner idea it would be much easier to hang the quarters in the cooler. I would probabely turn on the air conditioner after the morning hunt and shut it down before bed and open the doors to let it breath and get the cool air at night. Then I would close it up in the morning. We don’t often have any bear problems when we hang the meat up on a meat pole in the area that we hunt but would like to think of a way to deter bears from entering the cooler at night when the doors are open.
Any ideas or comments would be great.

Trapper
04-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Air conditioner with a coolbot would work good the most important part is the insulation which HAS to be Styrofoam make sure the floor is well insulated, I have a 10x10 cooler with the coolbot and 18000 btu a/c works great. I can get it down to 2 degrees in less then 30 min.in plus 30 weather. but I have 4 inches of styrofoam in the walls and 6 inches in the floor and ceiling

f350ps
04-26-2013, 08:26 PM
If it were me I'd put the cooler at the very front so the quads don't take all the mud from your back wheels. K

kenadiens
04-26-2013, 08:50 PM
The coolbot is a great way to go. To save a couple bucks what I did was seperate the compressor and fan circuits. Run the fan continuous and have the compressor wired with a mechanical timer that you can pick up at HD or where ever. It can be set for what ever intervals you choose. Works like a hot damn. Get an older model A/C at least 10,000 BTU and as said already insulate the heck out of it especially the walls and ceiling. K

paulgug
05-03-2013, 05:40 PM
So the way I read your reply is you did not buy the Cool-Bot? How do you keep the A/C unit from freezing up? What temperature does your cooler get to?

Fozzie
05-03-2013, 10:44 PM
paulgug, the dimensions you listed are the same dimensions of the cooler that I built a few years back. I had a cooling unit but it packed it in 2 years ago and I replaced it with the coolbot and a 10,000 btu air conditioner. I run it with an 1800w honda generator. My cooler can make ice-cubes if I want it to, ive had it down to 27 degrees. I have 2 rails built into the ceiling so I can place a quarter on a hook and slide it further into the cooler. Its just big enough to hold 2 bull moose.

kenadiens
05-06-2013, 04:06 PM
I did not buy a cool bot. The fan runs continuous and the timer cuts out the compressor whenever I want it to. If the coils begin to freeze up the fan simply thaws it out when the compressor kicks out.
K

fowl language
05-06-2013, 07:17 PM
i would make sure that more weight is on the tongue then the tail for safe towing . if the 2 quads weight more then the cooler your trailer will set to whipping back and forth if you put both quads in the back.balance your load but a bit more to the front...fowl

cambo
06-16-2013, 05:18 PM
I believe he is planning for 1 quad in front and 1 behind the cooler. If I read right?
i would make sure that more weight is on the tongue then the tail for safe towing . if the 2 quads weight more then the cooler your trailer will set to whipping back and forth if you put both quads in the back.balance your load but a bit more to the front...fowl

waistdeep
06-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Why not just put a deep freeze on your rig, plug it in to cool down every 8 hours with deboned meat and your not freezing just chillin...
we use one for bear hunting and it works great.