PDA

View Full Version : southern bc bear activity

olympia
04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
I see the boys in PG have started a bear thread and have been reporting bear activity. I have heard of bears in Squamish now from a few people I know that live there, anyone else in Chilliwack/Hope/Boston Bar/Princeton see anything? anything a little more south of PG?

specbelly
04-26-2013, 01:04 PM
lots out on the Island

Moe.JKU
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Seen a couple out Chilliwack area, but I hadn't gone and got my tags yet.

cdnshooter13
04-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Yup, bears are out around nanaimo now, mainly down low as it gets pretty brown still anywhere passed about 500-800' or so of elevation. We ran a shooter bear with the dogs last weekend but he never treed. Still pretty slow out there though only seen the one all day and no shit on the roads.

bassplayer
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Starting to really get warm here in the interior so it shouldn't be too much longer before we see lots of activity.

boxhitch
04-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Have had bears on the hiking trail I use for over two weeks.
I suspect two boars , haven't seen cubs yet.

russm
04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Anything around pemberton yet? I'm heading up next weekend to see some friends, I wouldn't mind borrowing a horse and looking for one.

geoskier
04-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Anything around pemberton yet? I'm heading up next weekend to see some friends, I wouldn't mind borrowing a horse and looking for one.

I saw a very large boar about 3 weeks ago now. I went back to the same spot for a couple weeks until my bolt somehow fell out of my gun while bushwacking??? Pain in the ASS! Had to mail it to Ontario and pay about $350 all in for a new one. At least it should be back in time for a spring bear.

Other than the one boar I haven't seen any sign and I have been covering a lot of ground between scouting and fishing (Lillooet fsr, (whatever the road is on the south side of the river, South Creek, Samson, Green River FSR... Should be good to go now though. It was 22 yesterday. Weather looks good for next weekend too.

It seems like the bears come out fairly early down towards Lillooet Lake.

Just a heads up; some parts of the Samson area will not be accessibly until summer due to a full path (very large) avalanche that tore through old growth and blocked a couple roads with over 10ft of snow.

BearSupreme
04-26-2013, 06:23 PM
I was out all day in the east kootenays and didnt see any sign yet. Its getting pretty warm now and the grass is poking up in most places so it shouldnt be long.

Agent Orange
04-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I went up to chehailis area last Sunday afternoon and didn't see any signs.

jtred
04-26-2013, 07:05 PM
I've seen sign(fresh dung and tracks) but have yet to see a bear this year. I usually see a few during turkey season so this year I plan on trying to get a nice healthy bear for hams and burger. As soon as turkey season is over or I get one I'll be targeting black bear.

Fella
04-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Was out today tracking a big boar with a couple buddies. Didn't end up seeing him but we got a good idea of his habits so its only a matter of time

albravo2
04-27-2013, 07:39 AM
I saw a good one up near the power generation plant on the Squamish FSR just before season opened. Have been back a number of times since but haven't even seen sign.

Also saw a small yearling cinnamon on the native lands a few kms before Paradise Valley rd. His coat was in rough shape and I didn't see any signs of momma.

Wild one
04-27-2013, 07:51 AM
If you want to kill a day with a chances of seeing a bear go hunting

If you want to have better odds of killing a bear give it 2 weeks

Mid May till the end of the season always seems to be the best. I use to rush out early in hopes of finding an early bear but now I find it better just to wait

r106
04-27-2013, 08:20 AM
If you want to kill a day with a chances of seeing a bear go hunting

If you want to have better odds of killing a bear give it 2 weeks

Mid May till the end of the season always seems to be the best. I use to rush out early in hopes of finding an early bear but now I find it better just to wait

I agree. 2011 I killed my bear May 26 around 1;30 in the afternoon. 2012 I got one May 28 around 3;00. I'm also hunting at 4500'. I think i'm going to go for a drive to check things out next weekend

Fella
04-27-2013, 09:29 AM
True, but I don't care too much about killing anything right now, it's just great being outside!

olympia
04-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I saw a good one up near the power generation plant on the Squamish FSR just before season opened. Have been back a number of times since but haven't even seen sign.

Also saw a small yearling cinnamon on the native lands a few kms before Paradise Valley rd. His coat was in rough shape and I didn't see any signs of momma.

i saw his tracks last sept when i was looking for a buck, i saw where he crossed the road and headed towards this sandy creek making his/her prints very visible. He/she walked back towards the river crossing thru the old campground(at least it looks like an old campground)

bc kid
04-27-2013, 02:44 PM
i saw one on five south just before larson hill on thursday nice one to

Hodaka
04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Saw a massive blackie today after fishing. If it were not for 2 young kids in the car, I would have pursued.

elkeater
04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
ive seen some fresh tracks and i guy i met seen one in a cut block. as said two more week and there will be lots out

cjbachand
04-27-2013, 08:48 PM
looked up around dewdney creek and sowaqua creek rd up on the coquihalla, no sign yet, just old scat

two's
04-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Went up the squamish river valley this weekend for a hunt/camping/beer drinking trip. Found one fresh pile o bear poo and lots of deer pellets. Ill haveto try again in a few weeks

Fella
04-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Second day chasing the same big boar. Waaaay more sign today than Friday but still not one sighting of that crafty boar!

Fred1
04-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Go lookin for him at night... cover yourself with raw salmon... ;)

Fella
04-28-2013, 09:51 PM
I was actually thinking of stripping naked, covering myself in honey and running down the logging road squealing like a stuck pig

Fred1
04-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Well that might work too, however it just may attract a few of the "banjo boys" as well.... risky...

Vinny
04-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Went out on Wednesday and saw nothing but but sheet on the road up to my spot. Then took kids out on Rhino Friday afternoon for some sightseeing and saw a nice blackie doing 45 across the trail.

fishingguy44
05-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Any updates? seriously torn on where to go this weekend. thinking britania or squamish

cjbachand
05-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Got a black bear on the may long weekend up at shuswap lake, lots of sign on the north side

Fella
05-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Heading up to a good spot thurs for a 4 day camping/hunting trip. Lots of sign so fingers crossed that ill get my bear!

rides bike to work
05-26-2013, 10:40 AM
I've been out quite a bit this year All the forest service roads up the canyon from hope to Boston bar sowakawa chilliwack valley and ruby creek garnet creek one thing I have noticed is a lot less sign around I have only seen 3 bears two of them big chocolate shooters but no chance to shoot mostly at last light from far away. My focus has been glassing the powerlines and sneeking in on clear cuts. Other years I have seen more bears and tons more sign. Weekends are a right off as there are to many people out quading and 4x4 Ing but I will keep at it. From all the ground I've covered I've narrowed it down to a couple small areas . Covering ground then focusing on last light seems to be key.

russm
05-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Spent the afternoon in Squamish yesterday and didn't see a thing, no shit, no tracks, no bears I did see a big grouse but that was it, any time I go up a road in the hope area I start seeing shit right away.