PDA

View Full Version : Maui Fishing Charters????

SPILTZ
04-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Hey everyone,

just looking for some advice or references on who or where to go fishing in Maui? I'm tieing the knot in a few weeks and our honeymoon is well Maui, I'd/We'd like to go fishing if its reasonable or possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Spiltz

keoke
04-25-2013, 11:31 PM
We got a boat for $1100 for the day, last Sunday. I forget the name of the charter but we only caught one Ono that was kinda small, as far as they go. When we got back to dock another boat left at 2am and they had a nice haul of fish. I would definitely consider the 2am departure next time.

Islandeer
04-26-2013, 07:10 AM
We got a boat for $1100 for the day, last Sunday. I forget the name of the charter but we only caught one Ono that was kinda small, as far as they go. When we got back to dock another boat left at 2am and they had a nice haul of fish. I would definitely consider the 2am departure next time.
Hey the boat that leaves at 2am is Die Hard,skipper is Fuzzy. Very intense fishing,and productive. Did it and caught fish,check out my gallery,.

digger
04-26-2013, 07:33 AM
start me up sportfishing,nice boat awsome crew,if you pre book its cheaper

hfc
04-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Local fishing knowledge in Maui. It is kayak fishing out of kehei. great time! check out "captain jonjon" on youtube

MB_Boy
04-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Hey SPILTZ.....do the 2am if you can. There was just a thread on this very topic on SportfishingBC forum;here is a copy of my post and a link to the thread.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?23333-Fishing-trip-in-Maui

Glad this thread got bumped as I was trying to remember who started one of these recently!

As for StartMeUp Charters......had a buddy who just went with them about a week ago (out of Lahaina) and had a great day on a shared charter for $200 cash per head. StartMeUp has a few boats, may even be up to 10 but my friend went with Tim Putnam on a 42' Bertram.

He wanted to get on a 2am departure but couldn't so had to do a 9 hour or so charter that left around 6 or 7am I think he said.

I have Tim Putnam's business card right in front of me as well as another Captain's.

Tim was apparently a great guy to deal with over there and great Captain. Here is his contact info;
tputnam37@gmail.com
I would assume this number is his direct as the 2nd number corresponds on both cards I have . Direct seems to be 808-276-6561 and it seems as though the main number is 808-667-2774
I am assuming he regularly runs the same boat as it notes on the card he is in slip #36.

In advance you may want to ask about keeping some fish if you wanted so as not to run into the same issue as AlGee has referred to. I have done two charters out of Kauai and both times have been offered up some fish without hesitation. (unfortunately last year in Maui I was too roped in to hanging out with family and didn't get around to fishing! )

SPILTZ
04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for replying everyone!!!......Will have to run it by the old lady first to see if shes willing to get up at 2am on our honeymoon so she can watch me fish.....lol.

cheers